Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  144
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    They’ve got Stewart. We don’t have anyone in that caliber unfortunately
    Dale recently rated in media as a better HBF than Stewart and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's spin the wheel and see how it goes I guess.

Disappointed McNeil is out, the play where he hit up Marra was enough to keep him in the side for mine. Smaller forwards don't get many opportunities to impact the game when the good sides are letting rip, and he took an opportunity to influence the contest when it was his turn so I'm disappointed for him.

Keath has been struggling and it's not going to hurt him dropping down and get a reality check. Hopefully it's not only his face that looks pissed off and he does something about it.

I wish Cordy well, to me he's more maligned than he needs to be and he can run all day which is what we lacked from our defenders last time we faced Geelong.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Keath has been struggling and it's not going to hurt him dropping down and get a reality check. Hopefully it's not only his face that looks pissed off and he does something about it.
    I don't believe it would be to give him a reality check. Keath seems to be as serious as it gets and pretty competitive. I think he is just really struggling and it's about getting the best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I don't believe it would be to give him a reality check. Keath seems to be as serious as it gets and pretty competitive. I think he is just really struggling and it's about getting the best 22.
    Possibly. Some of his defencive efforts have been poor and to me as much to do with a lack of concentration as much as physical inability to impact the game how he might like.

The fifty he gave away Saturday is a case in point. Unthinking and cost us a goal (and ultimately nothing like the JJ situation afterwards).

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keath has had a really poor year but no way in hell is he, even in his current no knee joint having form, a worse option to defend Tom Hawkins than Zaine is.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Keath has had a really poor year but no way in hell is he, even in his current no knee joint having form, a worse option to defend Tom Hawkins than Zaine is.
    Says you.

You only need to look at the last Geelong game to see that none of us have any real idea or can agree on who was on Hawkins and who was on Cameron. We play a team defence that didn't stand up last time. Perhaps this time it might with the personnel we have selected.

Dropping Keath wouldn't have been a decision made lightly. For whatever reason it's happened, but it wouldn't have been done just for shits and giggles.

9. Likes Scorlibo, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McComb over McNeil and Cordy over Keath is highly unlikely to be the gap in the game. The game last time swung each qtr with the contested ball numbers, we were smashed early then evened them up and our runners got on top. Late in the game Geelong got back on top around the ball. Need to beat them in the phone box and have a plan to avoid the interceptors, that’s the game in my view.

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    McComb over McNeil and Cordy over Keath is highly unlikely to be the gap in the game. The game last time swung each qtr with the contested ball numbers, we were smashed early then evened them up and our runners got on top. Late in the game Geelong got back on top around the ball. Need to beat them in the phone box and have a plan to avoid the interceptors, that’s the game in my view.

Despite the ground being narrow we were able to get them on overlap when we lost to them there last year. Our runners will trouble them again if we win enough of the ball.
    I actually thought with getting back to a full list we would not see McComb again. How you can justify dropping McNeill after his effort last week. It is exactly what you need against the Geelong defence - defensive pressure. They will turn it over with pressure. If you let Bews and co run and carry they will cut you up but they are no good when going the other way.

McNeill is also very good with his skills and McComb is the opposite.
    Last edited by Bullies; 29-07-2022 at 09:37 AM.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I actually thought with getting back to a full list we would not see McComb again. How you can justify dropping McNeill after his effort last week. It is exactly what you need against the Geelong defence - defensive pressure. They will turn it over with pressure. If you let Bews and co run and carry they will cut you up but they are no good when going the other way.

McNeill is also very good with his skills and McComb is the opposite.
    I am confident that they've not done it for shits and giggles.. They're not the changes that immediately sprang to my mind, but I am 100% sure the MC would've use hard data to support any proposed personnel changes. So I can accept that there is probably, in the MC's collective mind anyway, data that supports dropping McNeil.

Again McNeil was not one I thought would lose his spot. The onus is now on those selected to repay the MC's faith.

These are the sorts of calls though, if you win, no one lauds the changes.. but if you lose, your judgment gets questioned. Hard caper to be in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I am confident that they've not done it for shits and giggles.. They're not the changes that immediately sprang to my mind, but I am 100% sure the MC would've use hard data to support any proposed personnel changes. So I can accept that there is probably, in the MC's collective mind anyway, data that supports dropping McNeil.

Again McNeil was not one I thought would lose his spot. The onus is now on those selected to repay the MC's faith.

These are the sorts of calls though, if you win, no one lauds the changes.. but if you lose, your judgment gets questioned. Hard caper to be in.
    Its puzzling but must be matchup related?

McNeil had 18 pressure acts last week, more than double other small forwards.

I know I've got the running joke going with him, but this time I'm truly bewildered.

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we would have done our analysis and think this is the best option to secure a win. These aren't huge changes but losing Treloar hurts so but Daniel back helps offset that. Lets back the MC

Keath makes it a big name as he has never been dropped by us before but that is about it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Its puzzling but must be matchup related?

McNeil had 18 pressure acts last week, more than double other small forwards.

I know I've got the running joke going with him, but this time I'm truly bewildered.
    I wonder if there was any data though going the other way, was he a contributor to a break down in zones at times? Was he getting into poor positions that broke play down? I have no idea, but given the positive contributions he made, that you've highlighted, I'm really intrigued as to what the critical factors might be for his demotion this week.

19. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The decision to play Zaine Cordy as a defender is long overdue given the fact that both O’Brien and Keath allowed Cameron too much space in our recent defeat to Geelong.
    Cordy has proved his versatility in playing as a forward in our great win to take the 2016 flag and then to be used by Bevo on a number of occasions as a back up ruck man.
    Like his Father, Brian, he is a competitive defender and will give his all.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there was any data though going the other way, was he a contributor to a break down in zones at times? Was he getting into poor positions that broke play down? I have no idea, but given the positive contributions he made, that you've highlighted, I'm really intrigued as to what the critical factors might be for his demotion this week.
    Yeah exactly its so scientific these days they can map the gps data to ball position etc so maybe there was an issue.

I'm actually warming to McComb I think he's ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Overnight low in Geelong of 1c. Morning frost. Light winds. 10% chance of rain on the surf coast early. Sounds like a still perfect winter night. It could be dewy.

At 8pm the prediction is for it to be 7c with 7km/h winds. So cold. Still. Perfect night for footy.
    Yep that's why I left Melbourne.