Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  144
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Check the stats from the Footscray game yesterday and let me know if you’re still happy with this call.
    30 hit outs right? Am I missing something?

You don’t want your ruck accumulating the ball and delivering it forward, I would judge him on hit outs, marks and TOG

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-down-to-casey
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    30 hit outs right? Am I missing something?

You don’t want your ruck accumulating the ball and delivering it forward, I would judge him on hit outs, marks and TOG

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-down-to-casey
    Your expectations for someone who is probably only going to play 20-25min in the ruck are completely different to mine… so as you were.

Post Thanks / Like

Your expectations for someone who is probably only going to play 20-25min in the ruck are completely different to mine… so as you were.
    I wouldn't limit it to 20-25 minutes, partly because I think he's a better tap ruckman than English, partly because English displays more intensity when he gets more than 5 mins a quarter breaks, partly because English is better than Sweet up forward
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

To my eye JJ was poor.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Then you'd look at Martin and you've got the same problem really. English plays what? 85 -90% ruck time. Martin can't play anywhere else, Sweet can't seem to clamp down on it either. It's stay with Bruce or go with Schache? I think we'll keep Bruce in the team.
    I assume that you are suggesting that Bruce will run into form quickly and get back to his 2021 goals output. But can you justify that?

When we defeated Melbourne in 2020 Bruce had played 11 consecutive games for the Dogs and been goalless in 5.

He had 5 disposals (team lowest), O goals and spent a lot of time in the ruck for 5 hitouts (his best for the season). So he had not run into form yet. In his next 5 games he kicked a total of 2 goals.

So selecting an unfit(?) Bruce as a goal kicker was always a gamble. It might be a gamble again this year. Are we confident that we will make the finals and can take the risk of using coming games as training runs?

6. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I wouldn't limit it to 20-25 minutes, partly because I think he's a better tap ruckman than English, partly because English displays more intensity when he gets more than 5 mins a quarter breaks, partly because English is better than Sweet up forward
    Why is he removed from the game so much? Genuine question.

He doesn’t ask to go to the bench. He is benched before he can build any momentum and integrate into the game flow. It is a preplanned game strategy.

In both 2021 and 2022 Sweet has played 80+% game time and had more than a dozen disposals in the game . It is not that he can’t it is that he doesn’t.
    Last edited by Danjul; 25-07-2022 at 02:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    To my eye JJ was poor.
    It is interesting.

He is playing a hard position of small forward. On Saturday he was swung back when Treloar went off.

Not sure if McNeil is ahead of JJ just yet.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes Dry Rot, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the stats from the Footscray game yesterday and let me know if you’re still happy with this call.
    At the moment I would prefer Sweet getting 25 tap outs and no p's to Bruce getting 1 tap out and no p's. At least you know with Sweet his taps give us first use and with Stanley a chance to be out it is a great opportunity to get first use in the middle. At the moment Bruce seems to be in the team to celebrate our goals. I'm sure Sweet could take on that role as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why is he removed from the game so much? Genuine question.

He doesn’t ask to go to the bench. He is benched before he can build any momentum and integrate into the game flow. It is a preplanned game strategy.

In both 2021 and 2022 Sweet has played 80+% game time and had more than a dozen disposals in the game . It is not that he can’t it is that he doesn’t.
    My guess is Bevo doesn't think he can contribute well enough on turnover. He's big on that, mentioned it in regard to Martin last year when he had just returned from injury.

12. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    At the moment I would prefer Sweet getting 25 tap outs and no p's to Bruce getting 1 tap out and no p's. At least you know with Sweet his taps give us first use and with Stanley a chance to be out it is a great opportunity to get first use in the middle. At the moment Bruce seems to be in the team to celebrate our goals. I'm sure Sweet could take on that role as well.
    I have made it clear I would be omitting Bruce from this week's team as he isn't ready physically to contribute... however I don't see Sweet as the likely replacement as he will only get 20-25min of ruck time as English is far too valuable to us as an around the ground follower to be sitting in the FP whilst Sweet rucks and Sweet offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

As I've mentioned I'd be playing Darcy or even Schache who are better suited to the 2nd ruck role as they have natural forward instincts... but maybe that's just me.

14. Likes hujsh, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I’d love to see this too. But as I say Martin looked pretty good around the ground yesterday.
    I tried to watch some of the Footscray game on my phone. I couldn’t figure out what Schache was doing. He seemed to be attending ruck contests as a tagger, doing it when both Martin and Sweet were doing the ruck work. Am I correct with this or do I need a bigger phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I'd probably prefer that too but in reality Bevo isnt going to play Sweet in the ruck for that long and is looking for a 2nd fiddle ruck.

Bruce was literally non existent on Saturday night and it often felt that we were playing a man down. He also played as the 2nd ruck which Bevo called out wouldnt happen anytime soon so who knows what is going on.

I cant see them dropping Bruce this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I tried to watch some of the Footscray game on my phone. I couldn’t figure out what Schache was doing. He seemed to be attending ruck contests as a tagger, doing it when both Martin and Sweet were doing the ruck work. Am I correct with this or do I need a bigger phone?
    I think at times we tried to play him as a midfielder. It was confusing how we used him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think at times we tried to play him as a midfielder. It was confusing how we used him.
    Thanks, so I will keep the old phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'd probably prefer that too but in reality Bevo isnt going to play Sweet in the ruck for that long and is looking for a 2nd fiddle ruck.

Bruce was literally non existent on Saturday night and it often felt that we were playing a man down. He also played as the 2nd ruck which Bevo called out wouldnt happen anytime soon so who knows what is going on.

I cant see them dropping Bruce this week.
    The only thing working in Bruce's favour is he's actually running really well.

He's covering the ground quite ok.

On a similar note I see Gardner covered the second most k's in the game (only behind Langdon) 15k (equal with Bont).
    Hannan was 3rd for sprints for the game.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post