Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  144
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

Who's in the mix to come in this week?

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Daniel, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?
    Last edited by GVGjr; 25-07-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: error
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have made it clear I would be omitting Bruce from this week's team as he isn't ready physically to contribute... however I don't see Sweet as the likely replacement as he will only get 20-25min of ruck time as English is far too valuable to us as an around the ground follower to be sitting in the FP whilst Sweet rucks and Sweet offers absolutely nothing as a forward.

As I've mentioned I'd be playing Darcy or even Schache who are better suited to the 2nd ruck role as they have natural forward instincts... but maybe that's just me.
    No me too. But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week....unless injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Who's in the mix to come in this week?

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Dale, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?
    He is in G.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He is in G.
    I'll fix it, I meant Daniel

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No me too. But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week....unless injured.
    But why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    But why?
    Because it is not up to us but the MC that is why.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The only thing working in Bruce's favour is he's actually running really well.

He's covering the ground quite ok.

On a similar note I see Gardner covered the second most k's in the game (only behind Langdon) 15k (equal with Bont).
    Hannan was 3rd for sprints for the game.
    Josh Bruce - the one who is struggling to make a contest and make no impact when he does. Can't agree with you on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

But why?
    I thought in 2020 we played him regardless of his form was because it would have been very difficult to explain why a big name player was dropped. I'm not sure that is still the case now but clearly some players really need to convince the selectors they should be dropped. With us Bruce probably falls into that category.
    I don't expect him to be dropped but based on his two games so far he has been a liability. If we were to lose closely against Geelong this week and Bruce didn't perform again he might come under more scrutiny.

I'd give him a week at Footscray. I realise he is a very important player for us if we are to make the finals and if we were two games clear at the top of the ladder we should stick with him but we need to win 3 of the next 4 games and he isn't contributing.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I thought in 2020 we played him regardless of his form was because it would have been very difficult to explain why a big name player was dropped. I'm not sure that is still the case now but clearly some players really need to convince the selectors they should be dropped. With us Bruce probably falls into that category.
    I don't expect him to be dropped but based on his two games so far he has been a liability. If we were to lose closely against Geelong this week and Bruce didn't perform again he might come under more scrutiny.

I'd give him a week at Footscray. I realise he is a very important player for us if we are to make the finals and if we were two games clear at the top of the ladder we should stick with him but we need to win 3 of the next 4 games and he isn't contributing.
    So giving Bruce a chance to show something seems to be our number one priority. And let’s risk our chances of playing in finals.

On Friday, a stand out game by JUH saved us. In the last quarter he got 3 goals which cancelled out the fact that Bruce had his first and only kick for the night (despite having 80% game time).

2 possessions in 80% game time is the worst return from player selection in this century. Oh I forgot, Weightman’s 1.

What’s going on?

The selection committee is not putting our best team on the field. They seem to be gambling on getting the biggest ‘feel good’ outcome..

We frequently pay our dollars to see a champion team hobbled by diabolical selection. The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected.

Post Thanks / Like

So giving Bruce a chance to show something seems to be our number one priority. And let’s risk our chances of playing in finals.

On Friday, a stand out game by JUH saved us. In the last quarter he got 3 goals which cancelled out the fact that Bruce had his first and only kick for the night (despite having 80% game time).

2 possessions in 80% game time is the worst return from player selection in this century. Oh I forgot, Weightman’s 1.

What’s going on?

The selection committee is not putting our best team on the field. They seem to be gambling on getting the biggest ‘feel good’ outcome..

We frequently pay our dollars to see a champion team hobbled by diabolical selection. The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected.
    Only you could witness the best H&A win we've had in years and conclude the AFL needs to intervene to remove the people who don't pick the team the way you would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Only you could witness the best H&A win we've had in years and conclude the AFL needs to intervene to remove the people who don't pick the team the way you would.
    Stick to the point.

Why is Bruce being selected and putting our ‘team’ success at risk.

Jamara’s brilliant game should not be used to cover up the selectors failures. That’s cowardly.

Explain what is happening by all means, I’m looking for explanation, but constantly attacking the messenger seems pretty weak.

My point:

Bruce was not ready to play AFL standard against the Saints ( 3 possessions) and the Demons (2 possessions).

As a result our quest for finals was put at risk.

Your response:

Great win.

adjudicator: ????

Post Thanks / Like

Stick to the point.

Why is Bruce being selected and putting our ‘team’ success at risk.

Jamara’s brilliant game should not be used to cover up the selectors failures. That’s cowardly.

Explain what is happening by all means, I’m looking for explanation, but constantly attacking the messenger seems pretty weak.

My point:

Bruce was not ready to play AFL standard against the Saints ( 3 possessions) and the Demons (2 possessions).

As a result our quest for finals was put at risk.

Your response:

Great win.

adjudicator: ????
    You're preaching to the wrong crowd here dude... go stand on a box in front of AFL house or Whitten Oval and demand a response.

Post Thanks / Like

Because it is not up to us but the MC that is why.
    Your comment:
    But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week

My comment: But why?

Your comment (above)

my new comment: you have given no indication of why the match committee should select him.

(I do think you are correct - but I want to know what will guide their decision

I hope that he kicks lots of goals - but that’s a different matter))

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You're preaching to the wrong crowd here dude... go stand on a box in front of AFL house or Whitten Oval and demand a response.
    Looks like I will have to. There’s no explanation to be had from ‘the crowd’

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty much always with Mantis on team selection, idk what that says ha.

I don't mind Sweet but it's what best compliments the team. I have Sweet as a better individual player or whatever we want to go with at the moment than Schache and he is more senior footy ready than Sam Darcy but the spot is about complimenting English. As a R1, I am fine with Sweet and think we are actually in a good spot having him as R1 back up.

English seems to want the R1. Whatever he wants, I think he is best suited to a bit closer to a 50/50 split but I love what he does around the ground when in the ruck. It's very different to a forward role. I don't think he is suited to R2/fwd role which would be the only way to really fit Sweet in. If Sweet was a gun ruck, we make that compromise. But he isn't.

The role will be mainly forward. The possible options:
    - Schache: can kick goals and be very neat forward but can be non-competitive. Probably the most suited to the role atm but trust in being competitive in such a tough game is low. Not going him for being soft etc, just loses confidence so quickly and badly
    - Bruce: perfect for the role pre ACL and it was pleasing to see him even compete in the ruck after an ACL but he just isn't near it. I get why we are playing him but he just isn't doing nearly enough
    - Sweet: he is getting opportunities out of the ruck in the VFL but contributes next to nothing at VFL level in the forward line. After all this, I would have him over Bruce as at least he offers something tangible.
    - Sam Darcy. His game sense and ability to remain competitive whilst being moved around in the VFL is really impressive. I have faith in him not being overawed. My main doubt is whether it's best for his development.

I'd go with Sam but I get why we would leave it to next year. There's no real great/easy option.

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post