Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  144
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 20 vs Geelong at GMHBA Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Looks like I will have to. There’s no explanation to be had from ‘the crowd’
    I would say if you look at capability as a spectrum, Bruce has a lot of room to scale up to his best.

So a 70 percent Bruce getting game time towards 80, 90, 100 percent and his full capacity (which is better than his replacements) must be more appealing.

Not saying that's right, but that's my gut feel as to the "why".

I'd think he needs to get up to 90 in the twos personally then come in but they've gone a different way.

He does seem to have a bit of a team lifting/leadership affect but I'm not sure if that comes into calculation

Post Thanks / Like

Stick to the point.

Why is Bruce being selected and putting our ‘team’ success at risk.

Jamara’s brilliant game should not be used to cover up the selectors failures. That’s cowardly.

Explain what is happening by all means, I’m looking for explanation, but constantly attacking the messenger seems pretty weak.

My point:

Bruce was not ready to play AFL standard against the Saints ( 3 possessions) and the Demons (2 possessions).

As a result our quest for finals was put at risk.

Your response:

Great win.

adjudicator: ????
    Oh I am sticking to the point. Not quite as much as you who seems to stick to the same 2-3 points but nevertheless.

When Sweet plays and gets 7 hit outs and 3 disposals (I'm not looking up the exact stats I don't care that much) the only issue for you is he didn't get enough time on ground but clearly he's working as part of team structure because clearances. The team can only fail Sweet. But Bruce plays and contributes sweet FA on the stat sheet and the best argument for him playing is that Jamarra got free and its "The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected." It's a double standard. You'll probably say in response "it's actually the selectors with a double standard because Schache got these stats and was dropped" but that's the selectors failing to follow your rules, not their own.

There is no movement here strongly supporting Bruce's spot in the team. If he gets dropped there might be some surprise but likely zero outrage. You are the one who after a fun, hope inspiring win, is still calling for heads to roll. We get it. You'd pick the team by looking at the stats each week (unless it's Sweet). We'd all also love more insight into who gets picked and why. Clearly Bruce is not ready for AFL if he's being out bodied by... was it Salem? Yet from a team perspective we kicked over 100 points against probably still the best team defence in the league. Does that not suggest something is working at least? Do we really think these people who see Bruce 5-6 times a week don't know what condition he is in? Do you actually, honestly think something nefarious is happening at team selection? For what purpose?

We all share the confusion around Bruce. There are a number of great points and suggestions about how to fill his role and what the reason might be for his section. You just go a step too far and it's weird that you've escalated after a win. Do you not see that? Then there's the fact you've said I'm "weak" for "attacking the messenger". Did you notice I had nothing to say to Mantis? He wants Bruce out for Darcy. He gave fair reasons for his preference and honestly it's hard to argue with them. Yet for some reason the message is only attackable when you're the messenger? Why would that be I wonder?

There are people here who value what you contribute to the forum Danjul. I say that because I've seen people write that in response to you in the past. You provide a different perspective even if a lot of us don't agree with the way you choose to evaluate certain players. But you do yourself a disservice at times with how you put your point across. People will have something to say when you call for a Royal Commission into Selection Integrity and saying their response to that laughable suggestion makes them weak will only hurt your own credibility.

Enjoy the win, unless being vindicated is more important to you than the result, because unless there's another finals miracle it may just be the best we see all year.

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Josh Bruce - the one who is struggling to make a contest and make no impact when he does. Can't agree with you on that one.
    Bruce himself said he is rusty but he is happy with the fitness of his legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Who's in the mix to come in this week?

McLean, Scott, Hunter, Daniel, O'Brien, Darcy and Schache?
    You would think minimal change courtesy of the win.
    My ego is not sufficient to challenge the MC nor do I ever feel inclined. Daniel if ready is a must so maybe Truck or McNeil out.
    I accept Bruce may or may not play. I would consider him playing back to defend the airways v Cameron and Hawkins.

Post Thanks / Like

Your comment:
    But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week

My comment: But why?

Your comment (above)

my new comment: you have given no indication of why the match committee should select him.

(I do think you are correct - but I want to know what will guide their decision

I hope that he kicks lots of goals - but that’s a different matter))
    You didnt do yourself any favours initially with the extreme sidetracking that you did referencing collusion to lose games.

Having said that why will we pick him? What guides the MC?

I would say we will continue to pick him because they believe that having Bruce in the side straightens us up and gives Marra a bit more freedom from the opposition defence.

I'm not entirely convinced of the decision to play him and do believe he came back too early.

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your comment:
    But I reckon Bruce would be odds on to play this week

My comment: But why?

Your comment (above)

my new comment: you have given no indication of why the match committee should select him.

(I do think you are correct - but I want to know what will guide their decision

I hope that he kicks lots of goals - but that’s a different matter))
    If I knew that I would have to get into the minds of the MC. I have a lot of gifts but that is not one of them. Wish it was though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If I knew that I would have to get into the minds of the MC. I have a lot of gifts but that is not one of them. Wish it was though.
    We seem similar there. Except I missed out on the gifts.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You didnt do yourself any favours initially with the extreme sidetracking that you did referencing collusion to lose games.

Having said that why will we pick him? What guides the MC?

I would say we will continue to pick him because they believe that having Bruce in the side straightens us up and gives Marra a bit more freedom from the opposition defence.

I'm not entirely convinced of the decision to play him and do believe he came back too early.
    Fair enough. Others think that too so it might well be correct.

Personally, I can’t get to that stage. I think the team is strong enough to carry him for a while so I hope he comes good. A few goals this week would be a welcome sign.

(I didn’t refer to collusion to lose games. But I believe I can see evidence of not fielding the best possible team at all times. And that idea is shared by other members - or should I say some ‘ex members’.)

Post Thanks / Like

Unless Treloar doesn’t come up then no change
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I would say if you look at capability as a spectrum, Bruce has a lot of room to scale up to his best.

So a 70 percent Bruce getting game time towards 80, 90, 100 percent and his full capacity (which is better than his replacements) must be more appealing.

Not saying that's right, but that's my gut feel as to the "why".

I'd think he needs to get up to 90 in the twos personally then come in but they've gone a different way.

He does seem to have a bit of a team lifting/leadership affect but I'm not sure if that comes into calculation
    you have probably nailed it.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Oh I am sticking to the point. Not quite as much as you who seems to stick to the same 2-3 points but nevertheless.

When Sweet plays and gets 7 hit outs and 3 disposals (I'm not looking up the exact stats I don't care that much) the only issue for you is he didn't get enough time on ground but clearly he's working as part of team structure because clearances. The team can only fail Sweet. But Bruce plays and contributes sweet FA on the stat sheet and the best argument for him playing is that Jamarra got free and its "The AFL should investigate because some of the punters feel their interests are not being respected." It's a double standard. You'll probably say in response "it's actually the selectors with a double standard because Schache got these stats and was dropped" but that's the selectors failing to follow your rules, not their own.

There is no movement here strongly supporting Bruce's spot in the team. If he gets dropped there might be some surprise but likely zero outrage. You are the one who after a fun, hope inspiring win, is still calling for heads to roll. We get it. You'd pick the team by looking at the stats each week (unless it's Sweet). We'd all also love more insight into who gets picked and why. Clearly Bruce is not ready for AFL if he's being out bodied by... was it Salem? Yet from a team perspective we kicked over 100 points against probably still the best team defence in the league. Does that not suggest something is working at least? Do we really think these people who see Bruce 5-6 times a week don't know what condition he is in? Do you actually, honestly think something nefarious is happening at team selection? For what purpose?

We all share the confusion around Bruce. There are a number of great points and suggestions about how to fill his role and what the reason might be for his section. You just go a step too far and it's weird that you've escalated after a win. Do you not see that? Then there's the fact you've said I'm "weak" for "attacking the messenger". Did you notice I had nothing to say to Mantis? He wants Bruce out for Darcy. He gave fair reasons for his preference and honestly it's hard to argue with them. Yet for some reason the message is only attackable when you're the messenger? Why would that be I wonder?

There are people here who value what you contribute to the forum Danjul. I say that because I've seen people write that in response to you in the past. You provide a different perspective even if a lot of us don't agree with the way you choose to evaluate certain players. But you do yourself a disservice at times with how you put your point across. People will have something to say when you call for a Royal Commission into Selection Integrity and saying their response to that laughable suggestion makes them weak will only hurt your own credibility.

Enjoy the win, unless being vindicated is more important to you than the result, because unless there's another finals miracle it may just be the best we see all year.
    All reasonable comments.

I don’t believe we have reliably fielded our best team. That’s my opinion. I think it explains some unexpected losses when we have a remarkable playing group . But it’s not widely shared.

I do believe we have had some remarkable wins. And I enjoy them. I would not pay to sit in the cold and hope to see one otherwise.

These are two separate things. Or at least to me. Or should I say only to me. Both are relevant to how I see games, because I don’t believe in miracles.

Post Thanks / Like

All reasonable comments.

I don’t believe we have reliably fielded our best team. That’s my opinion. I think it explains some unexpected losses when we have a remarkable playing group . But it’s not widely shared.

I do believe we have had some remarkable wins. And I enjoy them. I would not pay to sit in the cold and hope to see one otherwise.

These are two separate things. Or at least to me. Or should I say only to me. Both are relevant to how I see games, because I don’t believe in miracles.
    After 2016 I do.

Post Thanks / Like

News from the Cats

Big Cat sidelined for up to a month, scans confirm damage
    Rhys Stanley has suffered minor cartilage damage and bone bruising to his knee

https://www.afl.com.au/news/806981/b...confirm-damage
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    News from the Cats

Big Cat sidelined for up to a month, scans confirm damage
    Rhys Stanley has suffered minor cartilage damage and bone bruising to his knee

https://www.afl.com.au/news/806981/b...confirm-damage
    One down 21 to go
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce will play but Darcy is bloody close. That kid is well ahead of JUH at the same stage.

22. Likes Mofra, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post