Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  124
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best home and away games I have seen live

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    100% agree. Sensational win. Best ever match winning goal ever kicked at the "G".
    How good is the handball from Scott Wynd to start the chain. What a player he was.

2. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    A few standouts already mentioned.

Round 21 2009 v Cats is one I’ll remember forever. Was living in ADL still at that time but came over and went solo to the game. We were a side that could’ve gone all the way that year and a win against the cats deep in the H&A was huge.

A couple of young players in Ward and Reid did OK… it’s a bittersweet memory in many ways as Hill, Harbrow, Aker, etc all didn’t end well with us.
    This was the game. It was 2002. It was Rohan Smith and Scott West 200th game. We were 40 points down half way through the second quarter. Brad Johnson with six goals. We actually led by 27 points at one stage in an incredible turn around before they came back at us.

I was at the game as a guest of the Geelong football club at a lunch with my brother and Dad. We had to be on our best behaviour. But gee whiz it was a good drive back home up the Princess Highway.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.2 10.5 17.5 18.9 (117)
    GEELONG 5.1 10.2 15.3 17.3 (105)
    Goals: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson 6 R Smith 3 N Brown 2 D Bandy 2 S Garlick L Gilbee M Alvey N Saunders P Dimattina. Geelong: P Chapman 3 K Kingsley 3 G Ablett 2 R Burns 2 M Scarlett 2 D Clarke C Ling A Lord P Riccardi S King.
    Best: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson C Grant S West M Croft N Brown L Darcy M Alvey. Geelong: P Chapman S King J Corey B Sholl D Clarke B Sanderson.
    Injuries: Western Bulldogs: S Kretiuk (groin) R Murphy (jarred knee) L Gilbee (corked thigh). Geelong: Nil.
    Reports: Nil.
    Umpires: C Mitchell M McKenzie M Fussell.
    Official crowd: 22,033 at Skilled Stadium.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Go_Dogs, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All excellent choices but the memories of annihilating Richmond by 115 points in round 1 of 2006 always brings a smile to my face.

Yes, there was the Wallace and Brown factors but in 1980 I was the sole Bulldog supporter in a high school filled with their fans and they stirred me relentlessly about their 110 and 115 points wins against us that year. It felt really good thinking of their pain that night in 2006!

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...420060331.html

Post Thanks / Like

The game itself wasn’t a classic but the last 5 minutes of Johnno’s 300th was just pure ridiculous entertainment.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes angelopetraglia, chef, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A thoroughly enjoyed the comprehensive win we had on the opening round of the 2013 season against the Lions at Marvel. That was my first season as a Doggies member.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the one! What a cracker.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    This was the game. It was 2002. It was Rohan Smith and Scott West 200th game. We were 40 points down half way through the second quarter. Brad Johnson with six goals. We actually led by 27 points at one stage in an incredible turn around before they came back at us.

I was at the game as a guest of the Geelong football club at a lunch with my brother and Dad. We had to be on our best behaviour. But gee whiz it was a good drive back home up the Princess Highway.

Goals: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson 6 R Smith 3 N Brown 2 D Bandy 2 S Garlick L Gilbee M Alvey N Saunders P Dimattina. Geelong: P Chapman 3 K Kingsley 3 G Ablett 2 R Burns 2 M Scarlett 2 D Clarke C Ling A Lord P Riccardi S King.
    Best: Western Bulldogs: B Johnson C Grant S West M Croft N Brown L Darcy M Alvey. Geelong: P Chapman S King J Corey B Sholl D Clarke B Sanderson.
    Injuries: Western Bulldogs: S Kretiuk (groin) R Murphy (jarred knee) L Gilbee (corked thigh). Geelong: Nil.

11. Thanks Eastdog, angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A personal favourite of mine was Jarrad Grant ending Josh Bootsma’s career against Carlton in 2013.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Round 16, 1958 Western Oval. Earlier in the year at Brunswick St Fitzroy beat us by 56 points.
    By Round 16 they were sitting third and we were down the bottom.

We won by 90 points. EJ booted 5 and Ray Baxter came on in the last and kicked 3. It was a great win.

Fitzroy lost the semi-final by 4 points to North.
    It was a strange season. We finished 2nd last winning 4 games but with a percentage of 97.2. North finished 4th with 11 wins and a percentage of 92.3.
    I use to love seeing Gus play. Good high mark and straight kick.

15. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ironically they played their 300th match together too in a 74 point thrashing by West Coast in a semi final over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ironically they played their 300th match together too in a 74 point thrashing by West Coast in a semi final over there.
    Yes. It was too. Bubba was talking about that recently on the Dunks and Ads podcasts when Johno and him were on the show. It was interesting to hear him talk about how the club had offered him to play his 300th the following year if he didn't make it and then retire but he refused that offer. We had to play two finals for him to play his 300th.

18. Thanks Bulldog4life, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another enjoyable one was when we beat the Tigers Round 3, 2014 at Marvel Saturday afternoon in a thriller by 2 points. We are playing on Saturday the next few weeks as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Another enjoyable one was when we beat the Tigers Round 3, 2014 at Marvel Saturday afternoon in a thriller by 2 points. We are playing on Saturday the next few weeks as well.
    Gia the super sub.

21. Likes merantau, Eastdog, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beating Carlton on their own dunghill in controversial circumstances in 2000 with our entire spine out injured needs a special mention. They were fresh off 13 wins in a row and we got over the line courtesy of a dodgy Trent Bartlett free. Wallace was going through his imperial tactical coaching phase and managed to extract 6 goals from Simon Garlick one-out in the goal square against Andrew McKay.

I reckon this win had a greater degree of difficulty and surpasses the more iconic super-flood game a couple of weeks later in the same season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

23. Likes merantau, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a long think about this. I have decided my most enjoyable match was in 1991 holding Carlton to one goal at Whitten Oval...kicked in the last minute from a free mind you. Typical Whitten Oval day rain and mud. This time I was standing in the in the forward pocket of the Geelong road end. Wet through but extremely happy until Carlton kicked that goal. Still happy with the win though. Enjoy the last 5 minutes.

https://australianfootball.com/artic...52C%2B1991/872

25. Likes Sedat, merantau, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gia the super sub.

A shame it has Garry Lyon's strange groaning ruining it