Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  124
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best home and away games I have seen live

Last night’s win against Melbourne was in the top three home and away games I have had the pleasure of seeing in person. Beating our hated rivals, Jamarra coming of age, and coming from behind, it had it all.

In no particular order (it’s like choosing your favourite children), my other two are:

The 2000 Uber-Flood vs undefeated Bombers

https://youtu.be/IdNXJyq8TuE

1984 Simon Beasley intercepts Gubby Allen vs Collingwood

https://youtu.be/9k5rTNZWqZA

What are yours?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best home and away games I have seen live

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Last night’s win against Melbourne was in the top three home and away games I have had the pleasure of seeing in person. Beating our hated rivals, Jamarra coming of age, and coming from behind, it had it all.

In no particular order (it’s like choosing your favourite children), my other two are:

The 2000 Uber-Flood vs undefeated Bombers

https://youtu.be/IdNXJyq8TuE

1984 Simon Beasley intercepts Gubby Allen vs Collingwood

https://youtu.be/9k5rTNZWqZA

What are yours?
    The 99? win v the Crows at the G when Powell kicked a late sealer.

Carlton nearly 0 goals at WO.

Lions game 2005? when Robbins took that hanger and announced the Eade era.

(I'm sure there are many others!)

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sydney 2015 had it all. The excitement of knowing something special was brewing. Every goal was epic, every kick mattered, and the way it ended with Easton picking up the greasy ball one-handed to ensure our win…
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Got to be Johnnos 300 for mine. That was nuts.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Two games stand out for me from the one season.

Incredibly difficult to go past Round 21, 2000 against the Bombers. Bombers were invincible that year and Plough had a game plan for the ages and Chris Grant with the left foot from the boundary ... what a night. It was also the first year games were played at Marvel Stadium.

Only two rounds earlier at Princess Park a skinny young Bob Murphy playing in his first game kicked a wobbly goal on the run to help win a game against a Blues team searching for their 14th consecutive win. Simon Garlick kicking six goals in a memorable performance. Good old fashion suburban football on a sunny winter day on a Saturday afternoon. Great memories of that day and that era.

9. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, josie, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Got to be Johnnos 300 for mine. That was nuts.
    Incredible finish and day. Great game.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnno's 300th is one that comes to mind. The one against Adelaide in round 1

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Only two rounds earlier at Princess Park a skinny young Bob Murphy playing in his first game kicked a wobbly goal on the run to help win a game against a Blues team searching for their 14th consecutive win. Simon Garlick kicking six goals in a memorable performance. Good old fashion suburban football on a sunny winter day on a Saturday afternoon. Great memories of that day and that era.
    That's my favourite H & A of all time. All the media leading up to it was "how good will the Essendon/Carlton game be next week after Carlton beats the Bulldogs on Saturday? Neither team will have lost a game in 3 months"

The outrageous free kick Trent Bartlett got on the goalsquare to won the game just topped it off. A little girl sitting behind is turned to her dad and said "it's not fair daddy. They're the Bulldogs and they aren't supposed to beat us" My mates and I may have been standing on our seats taunting the Carlton supporters at the time!

I've got a framed photo of Bubba Smith and Trent Bartlett walking off the ground surrounded by Carlton supporters. Bubba is pointing to the Bulldog on his jumper to remind them who won!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the season, but we played two games against Geelong that were both decided by a point (or close to it). Both cracking games.

For a different reason, the 111 point belting of the Saints last year was very enjoyable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Sydney 2015 had it all. The excitement of knowing something special was brewing. Every goal was epic, every kick mattered, and the way it ended with Easton picking up the greasy ball one-handed to ensure our win…
    That game changed us. A few months earlier we were a bottom 4 side with no coach, no captain, and no CEO.
    Our other wins were 'luck', this one really made people start to believe
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Johnno’s 250th was pretty good too

18. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my most memorable and one I doubt I'll forget. I remember picking up my son when the siren went like he was a bag of feathers. He begged me to go to this one, I really did not want to but went to make him happy. It's one I doubt either of us will forget.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2016, my old man and I decided on a whim to fly up to Sydney for the day to watch us play the Swans. Ended up being an absolute banger of a finish with JJ slotting one from a long range set shot and putting us in front with about 5 seconds to go.

We were trailing all game and some Swans fans sitting behind us were baiting me throughout (albeit pretty good natured banter). I still have the selfies I took with them, me beaming and them sitting there glumly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's my favourite H & A of all time. All the media leading up to it was "how good will the Essendon/Carlton game be next week after Carlton beats the Bulldogs on Saturday? Neither team will have lost a game in 3 months"

The outrageous free kick Trent Bartlett got on the goalsquare to won the game just topped it off. A little girl sitting behind is turned to her dad and said "it's not fair daddy. They're the Bulldogs and they aren't supposed to beat us" My mates and I may have been standing on our seats taunting the Carlton supporters at the time!

I've got a framed photo of Bubba Smith and Trent Bartlett walking off the ground surrounded by Carlton supporters. Bubba is pointing to the Bulldog on his jumper to remind them who won!
    Wallace experimented with the super flood that game. I remember walking into work Monday morning, where there were three Carlton supporters and one of them said we cheated with the flood - such sooks when they lose
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.