Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 19, 2022 vs Melbourne

This is the Round 19, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 19, 2022 vs Melbourne

Bankers
    Ugle-Hagan, break out game showcasing his ability, superb.
    Bailey Williams - nullified Langdon who has been our nemesis.
    Garcia - reminds me of Peter Bell in his excellent commitment to the contest.

Anchors
    Bruce - went from a 3 possession game to a 2 possession game, May intercepted with ridiculous ease especially in the last 1/4, luckily it didn't cost us the game. Guess he was a "decoy", Absurd selection
    Treloar's injury, we need him for Geelong.
    Whoever was on Fritsch, a Steve Kretiuk would have sorted Fritsch out.

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Jamarra - That last quarter just got the attention of 17 other clubs' defensive coaching team.

2. Richards, big game and is going to poll highly in the club B&F this year.

3. Tim. That was a very influential game, in all areas of the grounds and across several facets of play.

Anchors

1. First half positioning from our mids and defenders. Bhuku Khamis was really bad in a few key passages. Good on him for bouncing back from those.

2. Bruce - I'd still persist with him, but he's really struggling.

5. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Banks:

English's performance. Did he beat Gawn? Probably not. But he had more influence on the match than most of Gawns opponents would hope to replicate and that was a big part of our win.

Jamarra. Has his critics. Has his doubters. You won't hear from them this week. This is a week for Believers

Bont. That Melbourne prick stepping on his ankle in round 1 is probably 60% responsible for our shit season so far. Good to see him back in form

Bonus for Buku taking a mark over Gawn and winding him. Good work Buku keep it up.

Anks:

Brucy. Nothing new to add here.

Adam going off injured. At least 'calf tightness' doesn't sound long term.

Poor positioning at centre bounces for much of the match.

7. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog4life, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers

Anchors
    Bruce - went from a 3 possession game to a 2 possession game, May intercepted with ridiculous ease especially in the last 1/4, luckily it didn't cost us the game. Guess he was a "decoy", Absurd selection
    That's a great one actually. I thought we would use him more to get out of defense by isolating them 1-on-1 but he kept him quiet which was huge.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English: I love you.

JUH: I also love you

Gardiner: I’m sorry. For all I’ve said. You were great. Thank you.

Anchors:
    Ads injury. Dunno what it is but he was taking care of business.
    Bruce: I had a bunch of completely obtuse multis on the go and while the cost me maybe $2 max, if he score 1 goal I would’ve won about $300! Yes, I radomly had JUH to kick 5. It did me no good.
    AFL: would’ve loved to watch both of tonight’s matches. Q-Clash looked quality. Bad scheduling!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bont - his last qtr was incredible, just wanted us to win and did all he could to allow it.

English - after 2 disappointing games since his return from concussion he was back into last night. His marking was extremely good and that goal was something else... still a work in progress in the ruck contests, but when he's up & going he's absolutely elite at the around the ground game.

JUH - You could see that game was coming based on recent performances, but to come on that stage was something else. There will continue to be ups and downs, but if last night was a glimpse into the future... well yes please!

Anchors:

Centre square work - we know it's a huge part of Melbourne's game, but the general dis-regard to the Melb mids was extremely disappointing. I know we all love Macrae's ability to accumulate big numbers, but his performance in the 1st half last night was as bad as it gets given how many times his opponent either directly won the clearance or got the ball going Melbourne's way. Baz also got lost far too often too.

Defence - we were under siege early on, but the ease at which Melbourne scored was extremely frustrating. It's a pretty new group, but with the lack of cohesion and poor positioning it was like the group had never played in defence before.

Covid - it can go eat a bag of you know what! Would've loved to have been there last night.

12. Likes josie, chef, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bontempelli was everywhere, especially in the final quarter. Just a fantastic game

JUH put it all together out there and gave us a glimpse of what he's capable of.

Williams might not have had a statistically big match but he shut Langdon out which you would absolutely take in exchange for not getting the pill a lot.

Anchors

Our centre square work is still really bad at times.

Goal Kicking was wayward at times but didn't hurt us that badly.

I've said it multiple times but Keath should not be relied on past this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Goal Kicking was wayward at times but didn't hurt us that badly.
    17.8 was a good result. The AFL site has an expected score thing based on percentage of shots converted from that area of the ground and it was only 91 so we were well above the average with our accuracy. Definitely a benefit of Marra taking the shots as opposed to Naughton
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    17.8 was a good result. The AFL site has an expected score thing based on percentage of shots converted from that area of the ground and it was only 91 so we were well above the average with our accuracy. Definitely a benefit of Marra taking the shots as opposed to Naughton
    Overall 17.8 is a good result but there were a few times in the third quarter where we messed up shots that should have been easy. Although it does indeed help to have Jamarra taking shots since he's got a great technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    English: I love you.

JUH: I also love you

Gardiner: I’m sorry. For all I’ve said. You were great. Thank you.

Anchors:
    Ads injury. Dunno what it is but he was taking care of business.
    Bruce: I had a bunch of completely obtuse multis on the go and while the cost me maybe $2 max, if he score 1 goal I would’ve won about $300! Yes, I radomly had JUH to kick 5. It did me no good.
    AFL: would’ve loved to watch both of tonight’s matches. Q-Clash looked quality. Bad scheduling!
    Check your spelling please
    Last edited by bornadog; 24-07-2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: dickhead me
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Check you spelling please
    Mate

18. Thanks MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, bornadog, Happy Days, EasternWest, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Anchors:

Centre square work - we know it's a huge part of Melbourne's game, but the general dis-regard to the Melb mids was extremely disappointing. I know we all love Macrae's ability to accumulate big numbers, but his performance in the 1st half last night was as bad as it gets given how many times his opponent either directly won the clearance or got the ball going Melbourne's way. Baz also got lost far too often too.
    Conceding 6 goals from centre square hit outs is off the scale. We tightened right up after half time but it means we expend enormous amounts of energy compared to our opponents for I50's and scores.

I wish we could score more easily and conserve our energy against the very best.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Mate
    Ha, ha, ha, ha. Bloody hell
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers

Anchors
    Agree with these, especially Williams and Garcia.

Would add a Banker with our mostly flatter kicking style and an Anchor for some Dale clangers when he got this wrong.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.