Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who has witnessed us winning at Kardinia?

My dad is a Geelong member so Im lucky(lol) enough to have seen us play at least a dozen times at Geetroit and I've never seen us win. I missed the game in the 00s(doh) and I can't remember us winning any other time.

I remember having to hide my Bulldog gear while standing in line back in the 80s as they let the Geelong fans in first haha. Pricks.
    The curse is dead.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who has witnessed us winning at Kardinia?

Like I would ever go to Geelong without being forced to.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    My dad is a Geelong member so Im lucky(lol) enough to have seen us play at least a dozen times at Geetroit and I've never seen us win. I missed the game in the 00s(doh) and I can't remember us winning any other time.

I remember having to hide my Bulldog gear while standing in line back in the 80s as they let the Geelong fans in first haha. Pricks.
    The one the stands out in my mind was in 1985. Very high scoring match which we won by 3 or 4 goals without looking it up.

5. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The one the stands out in my mind was in 1985. Very high scoring match which we won by 3 or 4 goals without looking it up.
    Damn, that was just before my dad started taking me.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you end up being way smarter than your dad and follow the mighty Dawgs??

My dad was a pies man, I'm glad Mum wore the pants!

Post Thanks / Like

1985 was the last win I saw there I swore off going there in the nineties

Post Thanks / Like

First game I went to there was the win in 1995, Kym Koster and Libba stared.

In more recent times have been twice more (I think) but we predictably lost those.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember going in 1995 and getting over the line with a god awful team.... we won with the likes of Daryl Griffin, Scott Allen, Peter Quill, Brad Nicholson, Ben Sexton, etc. running around.

It was less than 2 weeks after EJ's passing and after being touched up by Geelong by 88pts earlier in the season at the Western (Whitten) Oval the footy world gave us no chance... but on the back of our midfield of Libba, Koster & West having huge games we got over the line.

I was also there in 2001 when we came back from 6 goals down at 1/4 time to run over the top of Geelong... pretty sure it was Gia's first game too.

12. Likes chef, Mofra, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    How did you end up being way smarter than your dad and follow the mighty Dawgs??

My dad was a pies man, I'm glad Mum wore the pants!
    My family is all over the shop, Dad a cat, Mum a Bomber, 3 brothers who are North, Bombers and Hawks. My girls are Lions but luckily my son is a Dog.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the worst Footy experiences I have had have been at Geelong.

I forget what year it was (at a guess it was mid or late 80's or so) I went down to watch a game with a Geelong mate.
    Now back then a pie, chips and a drink at half time was typically $7.00 or 7.50 at the footy or $5.50 elsewhere at a cafe.
    We got there early and standing in the outer with just some terrible Geelong supporters I needed a breather and went a bit early to get a half time meal. Pie, chips and can of coke was $10.50 and I asked the lady to check again, sure enough it was $10.50.
    I also asked if there was a phone as I needed to call the police, she asked why and I said I had just been robbed. She didn't really have a sense of humor.

As a spectator we used to have to watch us get soundly beaten most times so whenever I saw a win there it was pretty special.
    In 2003 when we had Johnson, Smith and Darcy lighting them up was special.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember 4 wins.

We beat them in consecutive years 98 and 99. I don’t recollect which one but I think Rohan smith got poleaxed by a rampaging Gary Ablett. On at least one of those occasions, perhaps even both, I stood on a milk crate in the outer! Can you imagine that!And I barely saw a thing even so, but family commentated around enough that I got the gist of it!

Also saw the ‘comeback’ wins in the early 2000s, I particularly remember when Jono starred and took a screamer. This was also the famous (!!) occasion where my sister & I were dubbed the Libba Sisters by a Geelong wit.

Many more miserable memories however. It is now the worst ground to watch footy, full stop. Exorbitant tickets to be unable to make out the play. The parochial country cockies, the blatant umpire bias. You’re ripped off at every point. And then those miserable trips home whether by car or train where you vow and declare never to visit the hellhole again.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in 85 but was overseas in 95. I went to five wins in a row there from 98 to 03 but other than that it's been an utter nightmare on so many occasions.

17. Likes chef, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Likek Bulldog Tragician I remember being down there and beating them in the Wallace years - I think it was Paul Hudson, who soccerred the ball that was going out of bounds in our right forward pocket - and it bounced up and he hit it like a great cross in soccer to Luke Darcy who cant have been too far from the goal square who marked and goaled late in the game that guaranteed us a win

That might be the only win I can recall having been at, at Kardinia Park

19. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have only won 14 games against Geelong at Kardina Park in our history. It has been nearly 20 years since our last win at that ground. I think I was at three of the below games. 2002. 2001. Both of those were significant come from behind wins. In 2002 we were 40 points down half way through the second quarter. In 2001 we were 18 points behind at three quarter time and piled on six goals straight in the last quarter to win the game with many of those very late in the game.

Rnd Opponent F A R M Crowd Date
    R16 Western Bulldogs 81 99 L -18 22067 Sun 20-Jul-2003 1:10 PM
    R9 Western Bulldogs 105 117 L -12 22033 Sat 25-May-2002 2:10 PM
    R12 Western Bulldogs 87 94 L -7 22771 Sat 16-Jun-2001 2:10 PM
    R17 Western Bulldogs 91 98 L -7 19951 Sat 24-Jul-1999 2:10 PM
    R4 Western Bulldogs 79 94 L -15 26301 Sat 18-Apr-1998 2:10 PM
    R21 Footscray 110 125 L -15 25057 Sat 26-Aug-1995 2:10 PM
    R14 Footscray 124 146 L -22 19616 Sat 29-Jun-1985 2:10 PM
    R3 Footscray 90 98 L -8 17158 Sat 19-Apr-1975 2:10 PM
    R6 Footscray 80 98 L -18 15305 Sat 12-May-1973 2:10 PM
    R7 Footscray 108 111 L -3 16836 Sat 13-May-1972 2:10 PM
    R1 Footscray 77 77 D 0 34844 Mon 22-Apr-1957 2:15 PM
    R13 Footscray 80 97 L -17 6000 Sat 14-Jul-1945 2:30 PM
    R12 Footscray 77 101 L -24 7000 Sat 22-Jul-1944 2:30 PM
    R8 Footscray 78 93 L -15 5000 Sat 21-Jun-1941 2:30 PM

21. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What year was it when we just got over the line due to a goal when Luke Darcy kicked the ball in midair from a boundary throw in and Johnno marked it in the goal square?

My biggest memory is getting into a punch on after the game with some locals in the mid 80s
    They were calling us western suburbs scum and we were calling them sheep *!*!*!*!ing farm boys and it took off from there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

23. Thanks chef thanked for this post