Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  86
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 21 v Fremantle at Marvel on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Has he been given a run up forward? Genuine question
    I have seen him drift up forward after a centre bounce and lead well and kick straight, but I haven't seen him start up forward at a centre bounce.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He absolutely did last year. At the start and at the end of the H&A season. The highlight was the Brisbane game in Ballarat but I don't think he was super impactful aside from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From rounds 1 to 6 last year he kicked 9 goals and then was concussed and didn't play again till like round 11.

Martin would have been first ruck and English the third tall forward.

I think 9 goals from six games as the resting ruckman you would take that every day of the week.
    When Bruce went down, English played full time forward and Lewis Young was asked to play ruck for the remainder of the season.

English kicked 2 v Port, and that is it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When Bruce went down, English played full time forward and Lewis Young was asked to play ruck for the remainder of the season.

English kicked 2 v Port, and that is it
    My recollection is that he shared ruck duties pretty evenly with Young and then Stef Martin for the last two H&A games and finals series? Except for the Port H&A game, where he kicked 2 playing primarily as a forward.

The game against Brisbane in Ballarat he looked unstoppable forward. Kicked 3.3 and nabbed the three Brownlow votes.

On exposed form this season he's obviously a better ruck than he is a forward, but he's also a better forward than Bruce, Sweet or Cordy. Probably Schache too.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From rounds 1 to 6 last year he kicked 9 goals and then was concussed and didn't play again till like round 11.

Martin would have been first ruck and English the third tall forward.

I think 9 goals from six games as the resting ruckman you would take that every day of the week.
    For sure that is a very good average as a resting ruck. What we'd give to get that from Sweet so he could be the second ruck. But if you're playing English forward on the basis that he could be 'dominant' down there then I think it's a mistaken assessment of his capabilities.He has enough to be a nice forward who occasionally has a good or very good game but his overall output will decrease for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Great mark behind the ball.

Great field kick.

Smart in many aspects of play.

As a forward I think he's okay, his marking is less good presenting at the ball and he doesn't seem a natural forward as far as finding space/leading goes. His set shot kicking doesn't strike me as super reliable despite being a good field kick.

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit from a team balance perspective but I don't think he's as good a forward as he is a ruck (when he's on, which is an issue it seems)
    Fair enough. I'm struggling to think of a better set shot kick for goal this year than English. I feel very assured when he has the ball 40 metres out, perhaps Weightman is the only one.

I get that English works hard to drop back and he has saved us many times on the last line. Wish we had two of him. I'm not English forward at all costs particularly given the meteoric rise of Marra these past few weeks.

I'm worried about Naughton though who seems to have lost touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Seems to be down on confidence.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughts has been through a lot this season.

He jarred his knee in R9 and then again in R17. Naughts constantly puts his body on the line and I am guessing he isn't at '100%'.

8. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes josie, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughts is banged up I reckon. He bashes, crashes, in and under. Could do with a break which unfortunately might be sooner than we would like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Fair enough. I'm struggling to think of a better set shot kick for goal this year than English. I feel very assured when he has the ball 40 metres out, perhaps Weightman is the only one.

I get that English works hard to drop back and he has saved us many times on the last line. Wish we had two of him. I'm not English forward at all costs particularly given the meteoric rise of Marra these past few weeks.

That would be ideal. English is both our best ruck and our best 2nd ruck/forward. A frustrating position to be in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Naughts is banged up I reckon. He bashes, crashes, in and under. Could do with a break which unfortunately might be sooner than we would like.
    He will get a break between our last game of the home and away season and our first final.

12. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as an aside Saturday might be possibly the last time you can see David Mundy in action. Whilst I of course want us to win Mundy has had a fine 19 year career and as a player, totally unflappable and somewhat of a rolls royce in the Pendlebury mode, top bloke too by all accounts. I heard on the radio this morning that we recruited Steven Koops when we could have had Mundy (?)

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Just as an aside Saturday might be possibly the last time you can see David Mundy in action. Whilst I of course want us to win Mundy has had a fine 19 year career and as a player, totally unflappable and somewhat of a rolls royce in the Pendlebury mode, top bloke too by all accounts. I heard on the radio this morning that we recruited Steven Koops when we could have had Mundy (?)
    Yeaks !!!

I see Josh Kennedy at WC also retiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Yep, in 2003 we traded pick 19 for Koops (Mundy) and pick 20 for Peter Street (Sam Butler - West Coast premiership player +150 games).

Of course we may have drafted duds instead of those 2 if we kept the picks but it isn't pretty reading.

We also traded out Nathan Brown and did the Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings in the PSD. The whole thing was a disaster.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yep, in 2003 we traded pick 19 for Koops (Mundy) and pick 20 for Peter Street (Sam Butler - West Coast premiership player +150 games).

Of course we may have drafted duds instead of those 2 if we kept the picks but it isn't pretty reading.

We also traded out Nathan Brown and did the Veale deal to get Jade Rawlings in the PSD. The whole thing was a disaster.
    This right here is why we didn’t win the premiership in 2008-2010.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This right here is why we didn’t win the premiership in 2008-2010.
    It's never as simple as that but when we are giving up list spots and long-ish term contracts to ageing players (Martin, apparently Jones) then we are in jeopardy of making similar comments about the 2021-2024 years when Bont was at his peak and Naughton was sitting on everyone's shoulders.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's never as simple as that but when we are giving up list spots and long-ish term contracts to ageing players (Martin, apparently Jones) then we are in jeopardy of making similar comments about the 2021-2024 years when Bont was at his peak and Naughton was sitting on everyone's shoulders.
    Sometimes we need a “dislike” button.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic