Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  86
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 21 v Fremantle at Marvel on Saturday

I think Bevo will see Bruce as having improving. I do not think he should be playing, however I also believe we don't have a quality option for R2/fwd role. I'd be giving Schache more ruck time and Sweet as much forward time as possible in the VFL to see as good as a view as we can.

McComb is a tough one to get. I actually like Bevo's reward for the worker type as a benchmark for the side, like the greater good for expectations set but he just isn't good enough.

Hannan I think needs a pre-season down back. We have other options. Maybe Bevo just waiting for Doc.

In: Adz, Doc
    Out: McComb, Hannan

Hannan or Cleary as the sub.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the ins will considered from Treloar, McLean, Dureya, Keath and possibly Darcy. The outs McComb, Hannan and not sure who else.

Post Thanks / Like

In

Tim English and the midfield group play an accountable 4 quarter performance, they were pathetic last night after quarter time.

If not, then English goes forward and Sweet comes in to ruck, while Bruce gets some form in the seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

In - Darcy who plays back and the swing man Cordy replaces Juicy on the forward 50

Sweet has to come in for Hannan. Floats between ruck/forward/bench

McClean in for McComb. I’d move Jj back behind the ball and play McClean forward

Sorry can’t see a spot for Kieth, Hunter or Bruce for the last two games

If Doc is ready. I’ld drop Daniel purely as he looked so under done it wasn’t funny
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think Bevo will see Bruce as having improving. I do not think he should be playing, however I also believe we don't have a quality option for R2/fwd role. I'd be giving Schache more ruck time and Sweet as much forward time as possible in the VFL to see as good as a view as we can.
    How about English forward? Great mark, great kick, smart player. English could be a dominant forward.

I mean do we want to win or do we want to keep English happy?

6. Likes azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    How about English forward? Great mark, great kick, smart player. English could be a dominant forward.

I mean do we want to win or do we want to keep English happy?
    Great mark behind the ball.

Great field kick.

Smart in many aspects of play.

As a forward I think he's okay, his marking is less good presenting at the ball and he doesn't seem a natural forward as far as finding space/leading goes. His set shot kicking doesn't strike me as super reliable despite being a good field kick.

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit from a team balance perspective but I don't think he's as good a forward as he is a ruck (when he's on, which is an issue it seems)

8. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    In - Darcy who plays back and the swing man Cordy replaces Juicy on the forward 50

Sweet has to come in for Hannan. Floats between ruck/forward/bench

McClean in for McComb. I’d move Jj back behind the ball and play McClean forward

Sorry can’t see a spot for Kieth, Hunter or Bruce for the last two games

If Doc is ready. I’ld drop Daniel purely as he looked so under done it wasn’t funny
    Daniel is too good a player to be dropped. We do not have enough of his class. Richards is better suited to the half back line leaving Daniel to play in the last line of defence. He was under done against Geelong but is a far better player than that.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In:
    Adz, Doc, Darcy

Out:
    McComb, Hannan, Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Great mark behind the ball.

Great field kick.

Smart in many aspects of play.

As a forward I think he's okay, his marking is less good presenting at the ball and he doesn't seem a natural forward as far as finding space/leading goes. His set shot kicking doesn't strike me as super reliable despite being a good field kick.

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit from a team balance perspective but I don't think he's as good a forward as he is a ruck (when he's on, which is an issue it seems)
    I agree. We all carry on about his forward craft, but he has actually done nothing up forward to date.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the key point I reckon. English is our best option in the ruck, but is the marginal advantage he provides versus a Sweet or Martin bigger than the marginal advantage he provides as a forward versus a Bruce or Schache? I'm leaning towards keeping him in the ruck and bringing Schache in for the forward/ruck, but on current form at both levels this combination isn't that much more appealing than Martin (ruck) / English (forward) in my view. Martin's been having a big impact around the stoppages the last two weeks in the VFL, and we know that Tim will clunk a few inside fifty if provided enough time up there. Plus against Darcy the man mountain this week, could be nice to have two genuine ruckmen.

On VFL form, Hunter should have been in the side to face Geelong, so there must be something else at play keeping him out. It's a shame because I think he's a key connection player for us when up and about.

I love Toby McLean and he's working hard in the VFL but I'm not sure if he's shown enough quality in his game yet to warrant a return. From what I've seen he hasn't been super clean with his touches.

Duryea - given how disorganised and unaccountable our small defenders looked against the Cats, his leadership could be valuable.

Sam Darcy doesn't sound close to a debut based on Bevo's comments. Seems we are still in the process of trying him in a range of roles. I think he'd acquit himself okay, he's such a presence in the VFL, but can understand that he's not had much continuity in any given role, which makes it hard to throw him in the deep end with confidence that he'll swim. If we were out of contention maybe it would be an affordable luxury.

So for me it's -

In: Treloar, Schache, Duryea
    Out: McComb, Bruce, Hannan

with a mind to bringing Keath and Hunter in before the end of the regular season, and keeping a close watch on the ruck dynamic at both levels.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, the indication is Treloar won't be or at least is very unlikely to playing against Fremantle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Thanks Scorlibo, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For what it's worth, the indication is Treloar won't be or at least is very unlikely to playing against Fremantle.
    Yeah, Bevo said that.

I hope he can come up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree. We all carry on about his forward craft, but he has actually done nothing up forward to date.
    Has he been given a run up forward? Genuine question
    I have seen him drift up forward after a centre bounce and lead well and kick straight, but I haven't seen him start up forward at a centre bounce.
    WOOF Member 422

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Has he been given a run up forward? Genuine question
    I have seen him drift up forward after a centre bounce and lead well and kick straight, but I haven't seen him start up forward at a centre bounce.
    He absolutely did last year. At the start and at the end of the H&A season. The highlight was the Brisbane game in Ballarat but I don't think he was super impactful aside from that.

Post Thanks / Like

He absolutely did last year. At the start and at the end of the H&A season. The highlight was the Brisbane game in Ballarat but I don't think he was super impactful aside from that.
    From rounds 1 to 6 last year he kicked 9 goals and then was concussed and didn't play again till like round 11.

Martin would have been first ruck and English the third tall forward.

I think 9 goals from six games as the resting ruckman you would take that every day of the week.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog liked this post