Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  92
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 22 v GWS Giants at Marvel on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It admittedly pops the eye but Martin was great in the VFL. I would’ve picked Schache too but it’s not a disaster or anything. It might have been to combat Preuss in the ruck who’s not playing, so we might even see a late change there.

Assuming we play as named though - surely means more of Tim forward right?
    Agreed most likely to combat GWS's two genuine rucks in Preuss and Briggs, personally I was expecting Martin to come in because neither Bruce nor Schache was going to cut it against those two giant Giants. Preuss out makes the late change (Martin for Schache) a real possibility.

Awesome to see Lachie Hunter back in the side. Of all the diagnoses passed around the forum these last couple of weeks, there hasn't been much chat about our wings, and it's a position where we've struggled for much of the year - in no small part because we're missing our club champion wingman.

Would prefer to have seen McNeil, West or even Williams omitted ahead of Garcia, but doubt it will be the difference between winning and losing.

Thought Keath played a touch better than Cordy against Fremantle. The MC must think Cordy has a better match up, perhaps Hogan.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

2. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's interesting that of all the discussion with the ins and outs Hunter's inclusion isn't making a stronger headline.
    I have to say G I was pretty confident he would be back this week after watching the twos. He had that intensity back I'm used to seeing from him.

I'm more surprised it appears Garcia made way for him, thought Williams would be the likely move. Not sure what that means in terms of positioning?

I'll be very interested to see how we lineup on the wings, I thought Garcia played mainly forward. (80 percent possession in forward half)

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing 2 rucks. I’m happy with that. Not sure how it plays out but expecting English to be more fwd.
    Go get ‘em Stef!

Post Thanks / Like

The MC decisions continue to stagger me.

- Hunter in. So.... Why didn't he play last week? Figured maybe his cards were stamped, but to then come in this week? Weird. We've rathered the likes of Williams, McNeil and McComb in recent times on the wing. All 3 are not a scratch on Lachie, even when the latter isn't or hasn't been at his best. Really odd.

- McNeil played OK from a pressure perspective vs Melbourne. Then gets dropped. Doesn't play a game, then gets picked vs Fremantle. So, that's basically the MC admitting a mistake. Meanwhile, McLean goes from the medi sub to... Nothing? I'm not sure I understand the logic. We have a wave of under performing players, I'm quite surprised McLean still finds himself on the outer. He might not be the same player after the knees so I wonder if he could be a delisting, but then again....why medi sub to oblivion?

- Schache must be done. Still, he was in OK form prior to COVID and hasn't had a look in since despite seemingly good form. Kicks 7, and yes it is against sub standard opposition, but we've played an underwhelming Bruce and now we pick a retiring Martin?

- Martin. This might be the most baffling of all. Why would you bother at this point? I genuinely don't care how good his form has been. He's 40, he's done, he isn't the future, he isn't the now, we aren't playing finals (we don't deserve to), we've refused to play two rucks the whole season..... WHY would you select him in a game Tim is playing in? If I am Sweet, I'm putting in a trade request and going on holiday tomorrow. Regardless of what you think of Sweet, how can we pick Martin with ANY logic? If I see him playing forward for one minute I'll turn the TV off.

- This has to add credibility to the rumours of Keath retiring. It's been a massive fall from grace, as big as I have ever seen in less than 12 months.
    W00F!

7. Likes 1eyedog, DOG GOD, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The MC decisions continue to stagger me.

- Hunter in. So.... Why didn't he play last week? Figured maybe his cards were stamped, but to then come in this week? Weird. We've rathered the likes of Williams, McNeil and McComb in recent times on the wing. All 3 are not a scratch on Lachie, even when the latter isn't or hasn't been at his best. Really odd.

- McNeil played OK from a pressure perspective vs Melbourne. Then gets dropped. Doesn't play a game, then gets picked vs Fremantle. So, that's basically the MC admitting a mistake. Meanwhile, McLean goes from the medi sub to... Nothing? I'm not sure I understand the logic. We have a wave of under performing players, I'm quite surprised McLean still finds himself on the outer. He might not be the same player after the knees so I wonder if he could be a delisting, but then again....why medi sub to oblivion?

- Schache must be done. Still, he was in OK form prior to COVID and hasn't had a look in since despite seemingly good form. Kicks 7, and yes it is against sub standard opposition, but we've played an underwhelming Bruce and now we pick a retiring Martin?

- Martin. This might be the most baffling of all. Why would you bother at this point? I genuinely don't care how good his form has been. He's 40, he's done, he isn't the future, he isn't the now, we aren't playing finals (we don't deserve to), we've refused to play two rucks the whole season..... WHY would you select him in a game Tim is playing in? If I am Sweet, I'm putting in a trade request and going on holiday tomorrow. Regardless of what you think of Sweet, how can we pick Martin with ANY logic? If I see him playing forward for one minute I'll turn the TV off.

- This has to add credibility to the rumours of Keath retiring. It's been a massive fall from grace, as big as I have ever seen in less than 12 months.
    I don't think that one is that puzzling. Unless someone else was to be dropped (would have to be McNeil I guess) he didn't get any game time to press for selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was either Garcia, West or McNeil. I think we needed someone on the wing, so Hunter comes in
    So should either McNeil or Williams be dropped who were playing on the wing?

Hang on, VDM is now ahead of Garcia?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I prefer Garcia to VDM at this stage
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Bullies, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time in recorded history (the last month since I've been looking) that someone has had more than 20 pressure acts and been dropped. (Garcia 21)

Wouldn't happen to Libba. Some pressure acts are clearly more valuable than others.

BAD?

13. Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer Garcia to VDM at this stage
    I think most people do bar a few on the MC.

VDM staying in has been lost in the Martin/Hunter/Keath discussions.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t really have a problem with Garcia being dropped. His disposal was pretty brutal last weekend which is a lot to overcome when you only get it 13 times. Plus based on the emergencies he will almost certainly be the sub.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most people do bar a few on the MC.

VDM staying in has been lost in the Martin/Hunter/Keath discussions.
    Agree with VDM. Have no idea what he offers.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess one reason for VDM remaining is you don't bring a guy back from a really long break out of the team to instantly drop him unless he is awful or not doing what he's instructed to do.

They may also be trying to look after Garcia a little bit after 5 games in a row given his injury history.

20. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I guess one reason for VDM remaining is you don't bring a guy back from a really long break out of the team to instantly drop him unless he is awful or not doing what he's instructed to do.

They may also be trying to look after Garcia a little bit after 5 games in a row given his injury history.
    Good point. I think we can all see some value in Garcia but it's not like he has really made the spot in the seniors his own.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge: We had to bring Stef in

Senior coach Luke Beveridge says the inclusion of Stef Martin this weekend will allow his side to trial a dual-ruck attack.

Martin has not played at senior level since round eight, dealing with some injury concerns before biding his time with Footscray in recent weeks.

But Beveridge said based on recent form, the 35-year-old could not be overlooked for selection.

“Stef’s had a really tough year health-wise and injury-wise. It’s only over the last month that he’s really gotten on top of things,” Beveridge told media on Friday morning.

“In his last couple of games for Footscray, he’s moved like a 25-year-old. It’s the Stefan Martin that we’ve seen be really influential at AFL level, albeit at state-league level.

“(Based) off form, we really had to bring him in. it gives us an opportunity to play two rucks in a really 50-50 way.

“Obviously Jordon Sweet has come into the team at different times when Tim has come out and Stef has been unavailable – and Jordon has done a pretty good job with that – but Stef is in some pretty good form so comes in feeling pretty confident that he’s going to have an impact.”

In addition to Martin’s recall, Lachie Hunter and Ryan Gardner also return to face GWS.

Making way are Riley Garcia and Alex Keath, while Josh Bruce has been managed.

“Lachie has had a muddled year – he’s had some challenges away from the Club, and over the last period of time has played some pretty solid footy for Footscray.” Beveridge said.

“He comes into the team to play an important role.

“Brucey hasn’t necessarily found the rhythm in his game that he has in the past – as you can imagine, playing full games in succession after such a long period out of the game, you pull up a little bit ginger and sore at times.

“With Footscray having the bye this week, we thought it was a good opportunity to play the two rucks and give Brucey a spell and freshen him up a bit in the mind and in the body.”

The Bulldogs will host the Giants at Marvel Stadium from 1.45pm AEST tomorrow afternoon.

23. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling it. Martin injury sub before quarter time.
    "It's over. It's all over."

25. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post