Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  92
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 22 v GWS Giants at Marvel on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Well, we don’t deserve to make the 8, and we would certainly be making up the numbers.
    I did a quick ladder predictor, and if we did make it we would possibly play either Melb, or Bris (Gabba) in the elimination.
    The Lions are our bunnies DG !

On current form, we will struggle to win the last two games.

2. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let's face it Coburg are rubbish, so not much competition.
    Let’s face it, Bruce’s five possessions in two weeks were memorable (for all the wrong reasons), and the way he followed it up by being a liability against Geelong will haunt us for years.

But getting his only goal for the season so far, in his first fourth game for the year, was a thing of beauty. He must be locked in for the next 10 years. No one else can generate those emotions.

It will also give time for him to polish his ruck work.

4. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't we deserve it? You win the required games and you are in?
    We've not played consistently good football all year. More weeks than not it's been the GF on repeat with lapses in concentration/effort/discipline leading us to give up our lead or give the opposition a big lead. We've just been poor too consistently to expect a sudden change for finals. It'd be more 2019 than 2021

6. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't we deserve it? You win the required games and you are in?
    I guess some years there are 2 or 3 teams with genuine finals claims and are playing good football at the business end of the season.
    Despite our encouraging win against Melbourne we have since fallen short against 2 good teams. At best we could limp into the finals.
    We would have to be very impressive in the last 2 weeks to consider ourselves as deserved finalists.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess some years there are 3 or 4 teams with genuine finals claims and are playing good football at the business end of the season.
    Despite our encouraging win against Melbourne we have since fallen short against 2 good teams. At best we could limp into the finals.
    We would have to be very impressive in the last 2 weeks to consider ourselves as deserved finalists.
    Whoever out of us, Saints, Blues make it, won’t make week 2. I’d rather we do make it for experience sake. Not sure falling into finals and getting pumped in week 1 papers over any cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Whoever out of us, Saints, Blues make it, won’t make week 2. I’d rather we do make it for experience sake. Not sure falling into finals and getting pumped in week 1 papers over any cracks.
    Playing a game in the finals isn't a bad experience for the players so while it's an still an outside chance it might be a small salvage from the season. I'd also hope that it's not regarded as an acceptable or successful season if we were to limp into the finals and go out in week one.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally would prefer to make finals but I might be watching the games wrong again.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I personally would prefer to make finals but I might be watching the games wrong again.
    Definitely would be a preference to make the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I want to make a disappointing season better by making it worse and missing the finals.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one scenario which could salvage the season. We make finals and finish 8th, while Melbourne splits their last two to finish 5th. We exorcise our 2021 Demons to knock them out in an Elimination Final. That would be something to hang our hats on.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I understand what you’re saying, but imo we don’t deserve it. We have struggled against the rest of the 8 other than the odd game. So, we might deserve our spot based on the games won, but we would be making up the numbers. Our system is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We've not played consistently good football all year. More weeks than not it's been the GF on repeat with lapses in concentration/effort/discipline leading us to give up our lead or give the opposition a big lead. We've just been poor too consistently to expect a sudden change for finals. It'd be more 2019 than 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess some years there are 2 or 3 teams with genuine finals claims and are playing good football at the business end of the season.
    You make the 8 by being the team with enough wins to make it - so you deserve it.

Whether you are good enough to go the next step is another matter all together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

100% should be hoping we make finals. I mean to do so would mean two good wins in our last two games, a team like Carlton capitulating and the hand wringing that would bring, then a final that we supporters can go to with our team in form knowing that for some reason when this team actually wants to it can beat virtually anybody (not Geelong obviously).

I mean all of that sounds much more fun than not making the finals for silly "maybe it'll force them into the change of approach we've needed to do for years and definitely won't do in this scenario anyway" reasons.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

20. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Make no mistake we should still be doing everything we can to make finals. I'm just not expecting anything from us if we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    100% should be hoping we make finals. I mean to do so would mean two good wins in our last two games, a team like Carlton capitulating and the hand wringing that would bring, then a final that we supporters can go to with our team in form knowing that for some reason when this team actually wants to it can beat virtually anybody (not Geelong obviously).

I mean all of that sounds much more fun than not making the finals for silly "maybe it'll force them into the change of approach we've needed to do for years and definitely won't do in this scenario anyway" reasons.
    Would be nice to also deny Carlton a place in the finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

23. Likes soupman, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You make the 8 by being the team with enough wins to make it - so you deserve it.

Whether you are good enough to go the next step is another matter all together.
    I never get the idea someone deserved something in a sporting sense. It's a competition you earn it or you don't.

With the draw the way it's setup you could argue we deserve it having played a draw devised for second spot.