Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  106
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 23 v Hawthorn at UTas Stadium on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In fairness to Bruce he has been with us just 3 of those 5 years and was injured last year when we got to the GF.
    Given his form in 2021 I think we would have been a better side with him available.
    Agree with all of this.

But he is not in 2021 form and bringing him back too early has not helped our chances so far.

The unfortunate consequence of having a messiah complex at the club is that we risk overlooking quality contributions from ‘no-names’ who have contributed success when treated with some respect.

one who comes to mind is Young. Last night he had 18 possessions and 9 marks against Melbourne (a reasonable team). I didn’t see the game so if others say they were crap possessions and marks I can’t argue against that.

Post Thanks / Like

Out
    McNeil, VDM & Martin

In
    Garcia, McClean & Bruce

I like McNeil's pace, pressure & tackling but horrible with the ball & a poor finisher. Would he make a good tagger or back pocket player who i think would be good for someone like a Pickett type?

3. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Smads57, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Agree with all of this.

But he is not in 2021 form and bringing him back too early has not helped our chances so far.

The unfortunate consequence of having a messiah complex at the club is that we risk overlooking quality contributions from ‘no-names’ who have contributed success when treated with some respect.

one who comes to mind is Young. Last night he had 18 possessions and 9 marks against Melbourne (a reasonable team). I didn’t see the game so if others say they were crap possessions and marks I can’t argue against that.
    We got that wrong and should have 'managed' him at least a week earlier than we did.
    Given Martin didn't grasp his chance and Sweet is once again behind in the pecking order late in the season it probably comes down to Bruce or Schache to replace Martin for one last roll of chance to win and maybe make a final.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We got that wrong and should have 'managed' him at least a week earlier than we did.
    Given Martin didn't grasp his chance and Sweet is once again behind in the pecking order late in the season it probably comes down to Bruce or Schache to replace Martin for one last roll of chance to win and maybe make a final.
    In their last 4 games Schache has had twice as many disposals, twice as many hitouts and twice as many goals as Bruce.

He has also made the mistake of bringing unfortunate attention to himself by kicking 10 goals against inferior opponents in his 2 vfl games.

So he is nowhere near a selection option.

Correct me if I’m wrong but last year against Hawthorn in Tasmania it was the ruck that destroyed us, and neither Bruce nor Schache offer anything there.

Post Thanks / Like

An unfortunate fact is:

The only finals the dogs won in the last 5 years were won without Bruce in the team.
    Either this is the most useless of all the useless stats you've ever presented us with or you're suggesting that we'd have lost against Essendon in 2021 if Bruce had not been injured. After all Bruce has only been with us for 2 complete seasons making the 5 years point rather misleading.

Which of the two is true?

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Either this is the most useless of all the useless stats you've ever presented us with or you're suggesting that we'd have lost against Essendon in 2021 if Bruce had not been injured. After all Bruce has only been with us for 2 complete seasons making the 5 years point rather misleading.

We obviously disagree on how to read English.

We have won 3 finals in 5 years. Fact. (Yes, they were last year)
    Bruce didn’t play in any of them. Fact. (Yes, he was at the club last year)

Where am I saying
    1. Bruce has been there 5 years?
    2. Anything about Bruce and Essendon?

So let’s try again.

The club can win important games. Bruce is not necessarily essential for that to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure he's just saying that any aspirations to win a final shouldn't / don't hinge on Bruce.

Could also be alluding to the Barry Hall paradox of good players who go missing in big finals. Baz was alright I should have said Gary Rowan but he's not a good player.

Ultimately I think he's saying that he doesn't rate Bruce. I prefer Schache over Bruce now too but that's not gonna happen. I wish Schache could have been played as a leading full forward for a year. He's not the big strong aggressive player we've tried to turn him into. He's essentially a 188cm Fritsch type player in a 199cm body.

Agree on Bruce providing a small sample size.

10. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where am I saying

So let’s try again.

The club can win important games. Bruce is not necessarily essential for that to happen.
    Fun fact Bruce's first final was against the Saints.

He's never played in a winning final.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all of this.

Young was very good last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Where am I saying

So let’s try again.

Given your new focus seems to be Bruce my assumption was that you were taking a pot shot at him. It seemed to be the implication at least given the general context of who was writing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Fully agree, I'd also say the same about most players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Given your new focus seems to be Bruce my assumption was that you were taking a pot shot at him. It seemed to be the implication at least given the general context of who was writing it.
    My only focus In the last few years has been the team getting the best return in home and away games because that’s what I am paying good money for. And as everyone can see I don’t believe that has happened.

Despite having players with excellent attributes I haven’t seen those talents translate into success often enough for my liking.

Too often I see selection based upon name ( seems to work both for and against) and not current form.

The fact that Bruce, as a recent example, was selected early for 2 and 3 possession games fitted the bill perfectly.

I’m not taking a pot shot at him in any way. He does his best whenever he runs onto the ground. And, when fit, he has delivered admirably.

What I am having a shot at is the selection committee. ( who probably get into games for free)

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks have a very tall backline - would a third tall forward just play into their hands?
    Bruce has been woeful and Schache can't be trusted to compete. Martin is cooked but still been out-performing Sweet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hawks have a very tall backline - would a third tall forward just play into their hands?
    Bruce has been woeful and Schache can't be trusted to compete. Martin is cooked but still been out-performing Sweet.
    How about someone agile like Khamis?

19. Likes Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely we bring in Tim O’Brien to intercept every hawks kick inside 50…
    More of an In Bruges guy?

21. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post