Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  106
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 23 v Hawthorn at UTas Stadium on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes, good alternative
    Not really.

Hawks used Koschiitzke as back up ruck last week.

Not sure Darcy will succeed as a lockdown defender - Yet.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Without Lewis, the Hawks went in with just two taller forwards last week, Kosi and Gunston.
    Do you think he would be a decent option for Kosi?

If Martin gets dropped I think Bruce will be his replacement.
    Not sure that Darcy should be considered as pure defender.
    His strength is really aerial balls, but he won't defend leads very well.

He really needs to have licence to go for marks rather than defend a player. The benefit of playing against someone like McEvoy is learning how to get to contests more effectively.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interested to see where we are heading with our small forwards from a selection integrity POV. Weightman and West pressure well when it is in their direct area but their total pressure numbers are quite frankly not up to scratch recently, they are KPP numbers. Our inability to apply pressure is putting pressure on our team defence and our ability to play multiple key forwards. McNeil numbers were down last week as well.

I find both Weightman and West hard to judge because they bring so many other assets but they are simply not closing down enough space defensively at the moment. The narrative is they are both going well and I see lots of upside but if this is going well then we will be behind other teams from a pressure point of view.

Nobody really banging the door down so I’m not sure what the solution is but it needs to improve rapidly.

5. Likes Sedat, GVGjr, Prince Imperial, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Interested to see where we are heading with our small forwards from a selection integrity POV. Weightman and West pressure well when it is in their direct area but their total pressure numbers are quite frankly not up to scratch recently, they are KPP numbers. Our inability to apply pressure is putting pressure on our team defence and our ability to play multiple key forwards. McNeil numbers were down last week as well.

I find both Weightman and West hard to judge because they bring so many other assets but they are simply not closing down enough space defensively at the moment. The narrative is they are both going well and I see lots of upside but if this is going well then we will be behind other teams from a pressure point of view.

Nobody really banging the door down so I’m not sure what the solution is but it needs to improve rapidly.
    Weightman plays more like a mid sized forward getting his goals more from marks than most smaller forwards do. Thanks for the insights into the team defence.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

Over what period?

I ask because I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers are down at least in part due to the strategies of the two teams we've recently played where they both spend long periods just retaining the ball moving it slowly and safely around.

8. Likes GVGjr, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Weightman plays more like a mid sized forward getting his goals more from marks than most smaller forwards do. Thanks for the insights into the team defence.
    Ummm.

Is that because he is a mid-sized forward?

Everytime I read or hear that Weightman is a small forward I realise I must be watching a different player. I am not criticising Weightman by saying this...but if we are expecting him to be Kozzy Pickett when he is (to use a player comparison I really don't like to make a point) Bailey Fritsch is frustrating.

West also isn't really a small forward. He has played that role reasonably well throughout the season but his instinct remains 'ball' rather than 'space' which is something the best pure forwards seem to have ingrained.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Bruce to play this week and maybe one other change
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Bruce is picked we are not determined to do everything we can to win.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the board needs a bit of a rev up, it's been somewhat flat for a few days.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I''m already spewing up at the thought of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I guess the board needs a bit of a rev up, it's been somewhat flat for a few days.
    I'm sure we'll be hearing quite a bit if Bruce is picked. If he's picked and we lose it'll be a looooooong summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Given the commentary from Bevo after he was left out of the team that faced GWS it was obvious he would be back this week.

What I don't get is how they can continue to pick a player who can't *!*!*!*!ing move?

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty difficult to understand what Bruce is doing to get picked, and how Schache can be essentially a lock for a delisting.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce is liked by Bevo. Schache isn’t.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Bruce is liked by Bevo. Schache isn’t.
    It all has to do with effort and intensity. Unfortunately, as has been discussed on this board, Schache lacks the intensity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post