Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  90
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am a bit P*ssed off - NOT GOOD ENOUGH DOGS

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do.
    There is also a difference in the type of clearance as well. The type of clearance we get with a Sweet tap to advantage and an English smash and grab under pressure are completely different outcomes although we get the same stat. We also beat up on the weaker mid fields as you said. When the going gets tough we struggle and it shows where we are at. Probably to late to turn it around this year but plenty to work with if they make the approriate changes and get a good mid field coach in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think we just got beat by a better side TBH.

Selwoods 350th which they were never going to lose.
    It's funny, I know you are right and I agree with you but that just makes me dislike Dangerfield, Cameron, Rohan & co even more intensely.

Chris Scott is undoubtedly an excellent coach and some of his players are really brilliant. But Geelong wouldn't be half as good if they didn't keep managing to attract already excellent players from all over the place seemingly at will. I'd never want him in the side but imagine what we'd look like if we had Cameron.

Geelong is absolutely playing on easy mode.

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    It's funny, I know you are right and I agree with you but that just makes me dislike Dangerfield, Cameron, Rohan & co even more intensely.

Chris Scott is undoubtedly an excellent coach and some of his players are really brilliant. But Geelong wouldn't be half as good if they didn't keep managing to attract already excellent players from all over the place seemingly at will. I'd never want him in the side but imagine what we'd look like if we had Cameron.

Geelong is absolutely playing on easy mode.
    They also have players who are prepared to take a pay cut to get good players in and be a good side and play for success. We at the minute have guys who are holding out for more $$$$.

5. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Time and time again teams exit out the front and get easy goals against us.
    This (and fast coast-to-coast play against us) has been the most frustrating thing to watch all year. We grind and scrap and push hard for every goal, with repeat entries and two-way running costing masses of energy and effort - and teams like Melbourne and Geelong waltz it out of the front of the pack in ten seconds. It's more efficient and way more sustainable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I didn’t see a second of the game and never will but it must’ve been horrific to make BAD do this sort of heel turn.
    Watch the first quarter and then ask, why can't we do this for 4 quarters. We have the talent, but do we have the mental capacity?

As Bevo said, we are still immature.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watch the first quarter and then ask, why can't we do this for 4 quarters. We have the talent, but do we have the mental capacity?

I'm in the same boat as HD in that I haven't seen of the game... well I tell a lie. I saw Miers kick an impossible goal from the boundary line in the 3rd qtr walking past a bar and that was enough for me.

But there is absolutely no use watching the 1st qtr and seeing what we did well without watching the rest to see what we did poorly.

9. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong's pressure went through the roof and they changed some things tactically to read Tim's taps or where he was putting it apparently (gleaned from the presser).

Not sure the maturity argument comes into it? A lot of these guys have played in multiple finals, and even a GF.

All teams have young kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm in the same boat as HD in that I haven't seen of the game... well I tell a lie. I saw Miers kick an impossible goal from the boundary line in the 3rd qtr walking past a bar and that was enough for me.

But there is absolutely no use watching the 1st qtr and seeing what we did well without watching the rest to see what we did poorly.
    The first quarter was pretty much the perfect advertisement for Bevo ball.

Quick movement from stoppages, overlap, precision ball movement including lots of corridor use on the 45, space in the forward line in first phase, numerous second phase/lock in opportunities as the press worked to perfection and marks inside 50 in dangerous spots.

Then Geelong decided they didn't want to be witches hats any more.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo can go jump.
    We're not immature, we made a *!*!*!*!ing GF from 5th last year.
    We're badly coached this year
    We make selections that are mind-numbingly confusing
    We've had a huge drop off in form from some players (and leaders)
    Our game plan is exposed and slow
    The list goes on.

Saying we're immature is a cop out after the 2021 season and what our team did to other teams, putting them away by 100+ points on the regular, taking the fight, the push and shove, putting teams to the sword, hardly immature, this year? Yeah, maybe it is a bit between the ears but we have much bigger glaring holes elsewhere as well, solely blaming it on 'immaturity' is not on, Bevo is nuts...
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

14. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    NBP, I think it's clear that Geelong have done very well at developing some of their more unknown players from the rookie list and have done well with their investments with taller players.

Tom Atkins was drafted as a rookie in 2018 as a mature aged player and has now played more than 70 senior games.
    Bradley Close was also taken as a rookie in 2019 and is nearing 50 senior games.
    Lachlan Henderson is another rookie from the same year and has already had 35 senior games.
    Sam De Koning was taken in 2019 (along with Cooper Stephens) inside the top 20 of the draft and has become a terrific defender for them.
    In 2020 they invested in Shannon Neale a 202cm ruckman and Max Holmes is getting some senior experience.
    And of course they are getting great value with Tyson Stengle.

We all know that they keep topping up with experienced players each year but their development program is also getting rewards for them as well. The players they have are also appear to be reasonable with their financial demands because they know they are going to be around the mark in terms of finals each year.

It's a different model they're using and it doesn't appear other clubs are looking to match it. You have to wonder if it's giving them a competitive edge or not.

The challenge for our football department is about how do we become a club that more players want to come to and how do we better develop the talented players we draft.
    Close was "Close" to best on.

16. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I don't blame you, I wouldn't watch it either.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Geelong's pressure went through the roof and they changed some things tactically to read Tim's taps or where he was putting it apparently (gleaned from the presser).

Not sure the maturity argument comes into it? A lot of these guys have played in multiple finals, and even a GF.

All teams have young kids.
    Pretty sure he means mature leadership to tackle these situations, not as in young team.

You know the saying, when the going gets tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Bevo can go jump.
    The list goes on.

Saying we're immature is a cop out after the 2021 season and what our team did to other teams, putting them away by 100+ points on the regular, taking the fight, the push and shove, putting teams to the sword, hardly immature, this year? Yeah, maybe it is a bit between the ears but we have much bigger glaring holes elsewhere as well, solely blaming it on 'immaturity' is not on, Bevo is nuts...
    I know you are a Bevo hater, but coaching is not the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure he means mature leadership to tackle these situations, not as in young team.

You know the saying, when the going gets tough.
    Ah yes - that makes sense. Maturity to sense the moments and make the right decisions from leaders.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Bevo can go jump.
    The list goes on.

He mentioned it very briefly to be fair VRED.

Many other things were the reason for him.