Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  90
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am a bit P*ssed off - NOT GOOD ENOUGH DOGS

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    This (and fast coast-to-coast play against us) has been the most frustrating thing to watch all year. We grind and scrap and push hard for every goal, with repeat entries and two-way running costing masses of energy and effort - and teams like Melbourne and Geelong waltz it out of the front of the pack in ten seconds. It's more efficient and way more sustainable.
    Boots - l like your work.

What I don't like, is your avatar game.

So I've harnessed the power of AI and SuperCompute to generate you something...something I think will work for you juuuuuust fine.

Enjoy ! (The singularity is coming).

2. Thanks Boots thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Scorlibo, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Bevo can go jump.
    We're not immature, we made a *!*!*!*!ing GF from 5th last year.
    We're badly coached this year
    We make selections that are mind-numbingly confusing
    We've had a huge drop off in form from some players (and leaders)
    Our game plan is exposed and slow
    The list goes on.

Saying we're immature is a cop out after the 2021 season and what our team did to other teams, putting them away by 100+ points on the regular, taking the fight, the push and shove, putting teams to the sword, hardly immature, this year? Yeah, maybe it is a bit between the ears but we have much bigger glaring holes elsewhere as well, solely blaming it on 'immaturity' is not on, Bevo is nuts...
    I think there are some very reasonable points you have raised but surely we have to make some allowances for Bevo in a post game press conference? He's clearly as frustrated as so many of the fans but he has to manage what he says to keep the playing list and the fans motivated. For what it's worth I think Bevo has performed so much better with the media in the last 6 weeks or so than he did early in the season and his explanation for the loss on Saturday night seemed fine with me.

From a playing list perspective there isn't a lot we can cut them slack for because we were such a strong side last year and genuinely deserved our GF position.

From a coaching perspective we have brought in 2 fresh faces and voices and I can't really tell how they're performing. With extra resources next year there won't be many excuses that we can offer up.

Team selections have again been baffling throughout the year although on Saturday night we have to concede that Cordy did perform pretty well.

I agree there is something missing with our leadership from time to time. Lets hope this can be addressed.

Vred, it all comes down to the remaining games. If we can somehow win all 3 we should be well pleased.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there are some very reasonable points you have raised but surely we have to make some allowances for Bevo in a post game press conference? He's clearly as frustrated as so many of the fans but he has to manage what he says to keep the playing list and the fans motivated. For what it's worth I think Bevo has performed so much better with the media in the last 6 weeks or so than he did early in the season and his explanation for the loss on Saturday night seemed fine with me.

From a playing list perspective there isn't a lot we can cut them slack for because we were such a strong side last year and genuinely deserved our GF position.

From a coaching perspective we have brought in 2 fresh faces and voices and I can't really tell how they're performing. With extra resources next year there won't be many excuses that we can offer up.

Team selections have again been baffling throughout the year although on Saturday night we have to concede that Cordy did perform pretty well.

I agree there is something missing with our leadership from time to time. Lets hope this can be addressed.

Vred, it all comes down to the remaining games. If we can somehow win all 3 we should be well pleased.
    You might be well pleased, but I would think the general consensus is that it will have been another wasted season.

There are a number of reasons to why we haven't been able to perform at our best for long enough this year, but to go from a GF team to either just making or missing out on a top 8 spot isn't where we should be. It seems we didn't address the GF loss from last year, and brushed it off as having run out of puff/ a bad 45min, but the issues remain within the team which is both frustrating & disappointing.

To me it seems this group have gone as far as they can go and we need a clean-out.. I will watch on with great interest to how we react to a disappointing season.

6. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Bullies, Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You might be well pleased, but I would think the general consensus is that it will have been another wasted season.

There are a number of reasons to why we haven't been able to perform at our best for long enough this year, but to go from a GF team to either just making or missing out on a top 8 spot isn't where we should be. It seems we didn't address the GF loss from last year, and brushed it off as having run out of puff/ a bad 45min, but the issues remain within the team which is both frustrating & disappointing.

To me it seems this group have gone as far as they can go and we need a clean-out.. I will watch on with great interest to how we react to a disappointing season.
    I don't disagree Mantis. The season panning out this way could be seen very earlier on in the year.

I thought we already had the refresh / rebuild between 2017/18/19/20 which makes 2022 even more of a bitter pill to swallow.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I'm disappointed we are in the position we are at the moment but if we are to win the last 3 we have a chance to make amends in the finals. That would salvage something from the season. This team shouldn't be outside of the 8.

We need to make an honest assessment of this playing list at the end of the season to see if topping up with a couple of experienced types like Jones and Lobb will result in a top 4 finish in 2023 or if we should look at making some playing list changes will serve us best. Do we have it in us as a club to make the hard calls?
    My guess is we will try a hybrid version of topping up and maintaining an early pick so that we are still draft relevant.

We should have done a lot better this year so we have to start questioning if the playing list, especially the more experienced types, are still hungry enough.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm disappointed we are in the position we are at the moment but if we are to win the last 3 we have a chance to make amends in the finals. That would salvage something from the season. This team shouldn't be outside of the 8.

We need to make an honest assessment of this playing list at the end of the season to see if topping up with a couple of experienced types like Jones and Lobb will result in a top 4 finish in 2023 or if we should look at making some playing list changes will serve us best. Do we have it in us as a club to make the hard calls?
    My guess is we will try a hybrid version of topping up and maintaining an early pick so that we are still draft relevant.

We should have done a lot better this year so we have to start questioning if the playing list, especially the more experienced types, are still hungry enough.
    Why we can't be good enough for long enough "in season" since what 2010 needs to be addressed.

Two teams have won the flag from outside the top 4 in final 8 era. Adelaide in 1998 (old system), and us in 2016.

You simply must make top 4.

It's pretty clear the game plan isn't sustainable for long periods. We need to develop a plan that allows us to win games dirty/ugly more often.

Starts with defence for me. My team in the PL, now flush with cash have rebuilt from defence first which I hope we are doing at the Dogs.

To be fair in 2016, we won 15 which makes top 4 most years! Actually in 2017, 15 wins and a draw was top spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why we can't be good enough for long enough "in season" since what 2010 needs to be addressed.

Two teams have won the flag from outside the top 4 in final 8 era. Adelaide in 1998 (old system), and us in 2016.

It's pretty clear the game plan isn't sustainable for long periods. We need to develop a plan that allows us to win games dirty/ugly more often.

Starts with defence for me. My team in the PL, now flush with cash have rebuilt from defence first which I hope we are doing at the Dogs.

To be fair in 2016, we won 15 which makes top 4 most years! Actually in 2017, 15 wins and a draw was top spot.
    We missed top 4 last by a few %. Brisbane 133.27% to us 132.84% - in fact a couple of goals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I think the bigger challenge since Bevo has arrived is around why we can't back up after very good seasons?
    We were really making some progress in 2015, won it in 2016, fall backwards in 2017 and then fell back even further in 2018.
    We made finals in 2019 and 2020 but never progressed and a GF in 2021 after dominating for a lot of the year.
    Of course the 2022 season has been a struggle and we don't know where we might land but it hasn't been a successful season.

Why does our performances yo-yo and why can't we achieve what the Tigers and Cats have in recent years by being a finals relevant clubs for a sustained period?

Off field we have navigated through a couple of Covid impact seasons and have become a profitable club with an increasing membership base. We have achieved so much off field that I really think should have resulted in better performances on field.

14. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We missed top 4 last by a few %. Brisbane 133.27% to us 132.84% - in fact a couple of goals
    If the dogs had scored 2 more behinds in the last game they would have drawn with Port and gained 2 points on the ladder, guaranteeing a top 4 finish.

Why didn’t they, when port kicked only 1 goal in the first half?

Because we were experimenting with the ruck. Port had three times as many hitouts and dominated the clearances.

A bit like the Geelong game really.

16. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's triggered this post BAD?

I feel like you have been largely immune from the frustration so many people have been feeling...but then a loss in what is currently the toughest task in footy (Geelong at KP) sends you over the edge?

Forget the % in your quote above...maybe losing games to Hawthorn, Essendon etc was the thing that really cost us last season. This year? Take your pick.

Too many players want things on their own terms.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we only have to win 7 in a row now and not 10.
    The curse is dead.

19. Likes EasternWest, bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is completely brilliant and I'll wear it with pride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What's triggered this post BAD?
    I was answering a question from GG. The end result after the H&A series was were equal 4th but missed by %

I feel like you have been largely immune from the frustration so many people have been feeling...but then a loss in what is currently the toughest task in footy (Geelong at KP) sends you over the edge?
    Not immune at all.

Just disappointed at the pointy end we put up that rubbish in the 3rd quarter

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was answering a question from GG. The end result after the H&A series was were equal 4th but missed by %.
    I structured my question poorly...I was referring primarily to the op. I used the % line as this has been more typical of the approach you have taken (we are doing well, we are close etc). Sorry but I was in a rush and it all made sense in my head!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I structured my question poorly...I was referring primarily to the op. I used the % line as this has been more typical of the approach you have taken (we are doing well, we are close etc). Sorry but I was in a rush and it all made sense in my head!
    The OP was to get some discussion going in an otherwise miserable week.
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-08-2022 at 05:30 PM.