Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  90
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am a bit P*ssed off - NOT GOOD ENOUGH DOGS

Bevo called out the mids for not being able to deliver a 4 quarter effort. It was very disappointing after seeing them dominate early to not give a yelp when Geelong fought back
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

This problem isn’t new.

These are the same questions that some posters have been asking since the grand final.

Round 1 v Melbourne, RD2 V Carlton, against Geelong earlier this year, against Sydney, against the lions, the loss to Adelaide.

I’m not surprised or pissed off with last night, I expected to happen.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of dismay and anger as a result of that non-performance in the second half - and rightly so. It was a really limp effort. The points made about paralysis in the coaching box are all valid.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

My dismay was mostly around the panic that seemed to overtake the team when the tide turned.

Caleb running up the line trying to do what I don't know, and kicking it straight to the opposition.

Game sense. It's non existent. Bont and Macrae as the formal leaders need to set the tone in these moments.

We just kept playing the same way!

Actually Bevo said we either stopped going off the line (the 45 inside or around the back) or we kept screwing it up under pressure.

It's clear they're being told what to do but just can't do it in real heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for this BAD. Appreciate a 'from the heart' thread because I agree some of the players need a rocket.
    There have been two many examples where we switch off for a period of time and allow others sides the opportunity to score quickly against us.

Losing to Geelong is frustrating but not the end of the world. Thought Bevo did an exceptional job until Geelong reset and our players didn't respond.

There is a bit of work to do to extract the potential from this playing group for the balance of the season.
    I’m not going to put the boots into Bevo (acknowledging that I certainly have across the journey at times) but this scenario is a real key frustration I have with his tenure. These moments in games where the opposition clearly have adjusted to what we are doing and we just either don’t respond in kind, or it takes far too long. Sometimes all it needs is some tempo footy, and the blame there falls on the players. The Cats game last year is an example. But last night, the lion’s share has to sit with the coaches. These situations keep happening and we keep grinding to halt on the scoreboard.

I want to see a few things:

1 Clear direction to disrupt the opposition: our star midfield are too confident in their own game at times. They back themselves into get it done on their terms. Against Melbourne, when the heat was white hot, Bont played a defensive game and rather than chase the big moment, just put himself between the Dees and their chance to win. I’m not convinced that type of decision comes easily to the group, so perhaps the direction needs to be firmer and more explicit.

2 panic button - Naughton swings back briefly, which we did late in the Melbourne game. I feel like we need to be more prepared to pull the trigger on moves like this to help the defensive system when the momentum shifts. The system works when supported by a midfield controlling the game and transitions, but when we break down and the ball flies out the front of the contest, our small defenders are out of the equation and we’re asking a lot of Gardy/Cordy/Chief/Buku. N.B I want Naughty to contribute as a key forward by default.

3. Go after their prime mover. Don’t just reflect and say Danger did the damage. Of course he did. Mess with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong has stolen a march on teams like the WB in the quality of players recruited.
    The additions of players like Cameron Smith Dangerfield Rohan and Stengle compared with our cast offs like O’Brien Hannan and Keath is chalk and cheese by comparison.Treloar has been an exception but on a highly inflated Contract compared to the likes of Bont Macrae and Liberatore who are better players. The Cats drafting of de Koning as a key defender is far superior in comparison we our own.
    Our Club needs an urgent review of both its Match Committee and Recruiting Group, a task to be carried out by Luke Darcy, Board member and Chris Grant in his position as Football Manager.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting call re De Koning.

We took Weightman at 15, De Koning went 19 in 2019 draft.

9. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same sh1t, different day. Teams killing us out of centre square. It’s embarrassing, and it happens most matches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Same sh1t, different day. Teams killing us out of centre square. It’s embarrassing, and it happens most matches.
    We are the number 1 Centre Clearance team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cool stat.

Time and time again teams exit out the front and get easy goals against us.

14. Likes azabob, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t see a second of the game and never will but it must’ve been horrific to make BAD do this sort of heel turn.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes hujsh, chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think in one of the analyses (David king?) it was shown that stat is inflated by our performances against bottom teams and doesn’t look so good if you measure against teams in 8. I think we all know in our hearts that against better teams we rarely clear it with the same ease or inflict as much damage so quickly and comprehensively as Melb and Geelong do.
    It would be nice to have access to the same data as they refer to on Fox, ie. scores from stoppage/turnover/kick-ins

From a spectator's viewpoint it does seem that we let the opposition out the front of the centre clearance way too often. I thought we'd remedied this somewhat earlier this season (after the GF), by getting primarily Dale (and now sometimes Richards) to push up and apply front-on pressure. It was working by and large, but Melbourne and Geelong in successive weeks have been able to find the overlap handball to beat the defender pushing up.

Another stat that relates to the above, learned from a Twitter footy statistician, is that our defenders are #18 in the competition in 1v1 contests, which makes it extra important that we stem this bleed.

FWIW I still think that our midfield when looked at in totality has performed to a very high level this year, and we have bigger fish to fry at either end.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

20. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I didn’t see a second of the game and never will but it must’ve been horrific to make BAD do this sort of heel turn.
    Just like Hogan in the NWO days no less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Geelong has stolen a march on teams like the WB in the quality of players recruited.
    The additions of players like Cameron Smith Dangerfield Rohan and Stengle compared with our cast offs like O’Brien Hannan and Keath is chalk and cheese by comparison.Treloar has been an exception but on a highly inflated Contract compared to the likes of Bont Macrae and Liberatore who are better players. The Cats drafting of de Koning as a key defender is far superior in comparison we our own.
    Our Club needs an urgent review of both its Match Committee and Recruiting Group, a task to be carried out by Luke Darcy, Board member and Chris Grant in his position as Football Manager.
    NBP, I think it's clear that Geelong have done very well at developing some of their more unknown players from the rookie list and have done well with their investments with taller players.

Tom Atkins was drafted as a rookie in 2018 as a mature aged player and has now played more than 70 senior games.
    Bradley Close was also taken as a rookie in 2019 and is nearing 50 senior games.
    Lachlan Henderson is another rookie from the same year and has already had 35 senior games.
    Sam De Koning was taken in 2019 (along with Cooper Stephens) inside the top 20 of the draft and has become a terrific defender for them.
    In 2020 they invested in Shannon Neale a 202cm ruckman and Max Holmes is getting some senior experience.
    And of course they are getting great value with Tyson Stengle.

We all know that they keep topping up with experienced players each year but their development program is also getting rewards for them as well. The players they have are also appear to be reasonable with their financial demands because they know they are going to be around the mark in terms of finals each year.

It's a different model they're using and it doesn't appear other clubs are looking to match it. You have to wonder if it's giving them a competitive edge or not.

The challenge for our football department is about how do we become a club that more players want to come to and how do we better develop the talented players we draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post