Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  65
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R21 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I hope Bevo shows our lot what happens when not 2 or 3, or 5 or 6 but 22 players tackle their hearts out for 4 quarters.

And show all our forwards those tackles from Elliott.
    Reminds me a of a team in 2016.

2. Likes Dry Rot, josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben Brown is a really tall useless piece of s**t unless he marks the ball.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Maynard tackle on Neal Bullen in the last was just a thing of beauty.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It really was! He loved it too. His interview after the match was good viewing!

I’d like to hate the Pies but I don’t. I definitely hate the Dees.

Post Thanks / Like

With the move towards non contact footy (stand !) it was a refreshing reminder of how great defensive acts can be.

Speaking of stand how many more goals would Dunstall have kicked if he could run around the mark outside 50.

Need to have an asterisk next to all records post stand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    McCrrey for the pies is a tough player that makes good decisions except for his hair cut
    It's straight out of an aged care facility, we've been calling him Mother Hubbard all season.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who should we have played Lipinski in front of? Forgetting that we offered him a contract that he didn't accept, and forgetting that we tried to squeeze him into the side on a wing but he couldn't nail the spot, who should we have played him in front of out of our regular brigade of midfielders?

I'm really interested to know what the answer is because it never seems to come to light in these discussions.
    This belongs more in the list management thread, but this is why I am comfortable with losing a Dunkley (and maybe even Smith aside from the fact he is gonna be a superstar). I don't think we need all of our mids to be guns, and putting all your salary cap there means elsewhere gets neglected as we've seen. If we can redistribute that money so we are better balanced as a side i dont think we lose that much in our midfield.

Our midfield is an amazing list of players, but is definitely not greater than the sum of all it's parts, and freezes out anyone else coming through.

It sounds dumb because Dunkley is clearly better than Lipinski, but i dont think we lose that much if we swapped them. I agree with all your posts on this matter in this thread Jeemak, Lipinski was given chances in a multitude of positions and couldn't take them, but our inability to offer him a spot in his true position is what led to his departure and I don't think we gained that much by having someone else there instead of him.

I think there are a few benefits to us losing one or two of our gun mids:

-More opportunity for young/fringe players to actually get gametime there. Atm if you're a young mid with us the best you're getting is some gametime on the wing and otherwise you are just playing forward. West for example has seen virtually zero mid time in years. Also it has been mentioned that Dunkley and Smith are our only younger mids, which is partly because we don't have any room to develop any more coming through.
    -More competition for spots. Atm the gulf between our last autopick mid and our first contender for that spot is so vast that dropping the former is only ever as a statement and the latter never gets a good enough run at it before they get swapped back. By giving those fringe guys a chance to prove themselves it puts pressure on the top guys to justify their selection.
    -Less cruising. The more guys we can get in there that aren't already stars the more desperation we are going to have, which hopefully would help fix our issues of defensive lapses and workrate. If you can get a few types in there that embrace that challenge hopefully it kicks the remaining stars arses into gear. It could also mean that the remaining guns perform better as gamebreakers because there aren't 5-6 players in there all trying to get 30+ touches.

It reads much better as a hypothetical and is much harder when you attach names to the whole thing, and I'm not necessarily advocating pushing these guys out, but if they do go it could actually benefit us aside from just the picks we get back.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes jeemak, Sedat, Grantysghost, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The great thing about that tackle was it was all legal, no concussion, but would still have hurt. There was also a great tackle on Daicos when he played on. His ribs were really hurting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Ben Brown is a really tall useless piece of s**t unless he marks the ball.
    I remember a lot of sleep being lost over how the Demons got him so cheap, he's not a great mark and flops the instant he doesn't get hands to the ball. Any competent tall forward could look great with that Demons midfield feeding them and yet Brown can't even do that.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Wish we had some of this Collingwood never say die attitude. They are a tough side to put away.
    Last club to beat them were The Doggies. We beat them easily

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Pickett has been as hard as a poo sandwich the last few minutes. I mean that's easy for me to say with my fat guts on the couch.

I can't figure out whether I'd be scintillated or really annoyed if I was following Melbourne right now.
    Judging by your posts Jee I envisaged you as slim, taut and terrific.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is.
    Ha. Let's just say COVID/ lockdowns and working ridiculous hours over the past couple of years haven't been kind to me!

But, I'm turning the ship around ever so slowly.......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got a message from a Saints mate saying that they have thrown a player into the job of 'tagging' Stewart and at half time he has had just two kicks. Is 'tagging' one of theses new hip footy terms? Unheard of.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just got a message from a Saints mate saying that they have thrown a player into the job of 'tagging' Stewart and at half time he has had just two kicks. Is 'tagging' one of theses new hip footy terms? Unheard of.
    Makes you wonder why “some” teams refuse to tag.
    I will never see #16 the same!!