Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  75
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round twenty one 2022 v Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I like McLean as well, but realistically outside of an unaccountable 2017 in there and a brief solid run in 2020 he has never been able to perform in a role as a midfielder that well, and is coming back off two knee recos, he's a long way from bankable.

Besides I think I'm hoping someone like Shiels adds more steel to our midfield accountability through his experience and influence he can have on others, something McLean doesn't have.
    Totally, and I hope we make some tough calls regarding our midfield crop. We certainly need a player with strong nerve, leadership qualities and the experience to play a role we so desperately need.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Surely the time for direct conversations with our star midfielders would’ve been over the pre season after they got pantsed in the GF 3rd quarter. Bit hard I guess if you believe the rumours said game was not reviewed, just moved on from.
    It wasn't a rumour the game was not reviewed the players said it wasn't. Dunks and Macrae have said so in a number of interviews.

Not making the finals will hopefully mean there will be a full review and a number of changes made.

3. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    It wasn't a rumour the game was not reviewed the players said it wasn't. Dunks and Macrae have said so in a number of interviews.

Not making the finals will hopefully mean there will be a full review and a number of changes made.
    In the Danny-Boyd podcast Tom mentioned that our 2015 finals loss was reviewed ad nauseum and specific adjustments were made, so I’m at a loss as to why we didn’t this time.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post

I’d also heard those players say that and said as much and certain posters responded with something along the lines I’m sure the coaches did and worked on those areas during the pre season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d also heard those players say that and said as much and certain posters responded with something along the lines I’m sure the coaches did and worked on those areas during the pre season.
    Tell me do you honestly think the coaches wouldn't do a review and come up with some strategies?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tell me do you honestly think the coaches wouldn't do a review and come up with some strategies?
    I think they would and the strategy behind not including the players might be to shield them for doubting their ability and decision making under pressure.
    The question now is has that strategy of distancing the players and the strategies devised by the coaches from the GF experience actually worked?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think they would and the strategy behind not including the players might be to shield them for doubting their ability and decision making under pressure.
    The question now is has that strategy of distancing the players and the strategies devised by the coaches from the GF experience actually worked?
    I think you are spot on.

I have been thinking about our issues, and we know defence is really an issue, but the other big one is turnovers. Last week and this week, the turnovers killed us. Some of the shocking kicking coming out of defence resulted in multiple goals. Just the disposal efficiency all over shows how bad we are travelling when trying to move the ball forward.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Totally, and I hope we make some tough calls regarding our midfield crop. We certainly need a player with strong nerve, leadership qualities and the experience to play a role we so desperately need.
    If we finish 9-11 th position ( kinda ironic ) then we need to cut the list hard and start building the list with quality. We cannot hang on to list cloggers and players with deficiencies. Cannot end up like Richmond for a decade where they continued to threaten to finish 9th. We need to find player with good disposable ( like hawks do ) .

McComb: yes he can find the ball, but he can't kick.
    McClean : love his speed and run, but he does not have the size or strength to match it against the opposition mids, Maybe as a tagger ?
    Butler: why is he on the list ?
    Roarke: we are not playing him this year.

I have no idea what we are going to do with Schache. Has all the attributes to become a decent AFL player, but just can't swallow angry pills.

Examples above these are just to name a few. Not single them out, as I love to have ALL and ANY of our players to become AFL grade, but realistically most won't make it.

13. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    If we finish 9-11 th position ( kinda ironic ) then we need to cut the list hard and start building the list with quality. We cannot hang on to list cloggers and players with deficiencies. Cannot end up like Richmond for a decade where they continued to threaten to finish 9th. We need to find player with good disposable ( like hawks do ) .

McComb: yes he can find the ball, but he can't kick.
    McClean : love his speed and run, but he does not have the size or strength to match it against the opposition mids, Maybe as a tagger ?
    Butler: why is he on the list ?
    Roarke: we are not playing him this year.

I have no idea what we are going to do with Schache. Has all the attributes to become a decent AFL player, but just can't swallow angry pills.

Examples above these are just to name a few. Not single them out, as I love to have ALL and ANY of our players to become AFL grade, but realistically most won't make it.
    Agree Macca. I hope if we go to the draft, any mid types we go for are as natural footballers as they come….hard bodied, elite kicking, tackling machines. I don’t want to see any players that are bonafide list cloggers, with very suspect disposal.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Agree Macca. I hope if we go to the draft, any mid types we go for are as natural footballers as they come….hard bodied, elite kicking, tackling machines. I don’t want to see any players that are bonafide list cloggers, with very suspect disposal.
    Yep. I'd hate to pick an athletic but raw kid at something like pick 43. That would never work out.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Yep. I'd hate to pick an athletic but raw kid at something like pick 43. That would never work out.
    Mark West was athletic?

Post Thanks / Like

Re the discussion re Shiels. Can we find a tough nut small to mid sized defender nearing the end of their career and give them a couple of years?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think they would have and adjustments were made - our centre clearance work is the best in the AFL. What we are finding now is our defence is a major issue with a number of players not in form this year and the system is broken. I don't like having to rely on the mids to help the defence as it is very taxing on them.
    Also known as all team defence. Some other clubs are pretty good at this, most of whom are in the top half of the ladder.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Also known as all team defence. Some other clubs are pretty good at this, most of whom are in the top half of the ladder.
    Have a look at their defenders and compare to ours

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Re the discussion re Shiels. Can we find a tough nut small to mid sized defender nearing the end of their career and give them a couple of years?
    Nic Haynes? He's 30, was pretty good, has lovely long locks and his eyes get watery when he looks at Bont.

Otherwise maybe Lachie Plowman, but I've never really rated him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

22. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post