Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  75
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round twenty one 2022 v Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No, the player just runs around the mark and you stand their like a dummy and can't do a thing. Worst rule ever.

PS: I notice alot of teams have now adopted the same strategy.

The only time I don't like it is close to the 50metre mark
    It's a terrible rule we can agree on that

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Pushing up hard to the mark forces the player back and consumes time and puts some doubt in their mind.

Watch the good teams, they do it.
    Collingwood gives the five.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo loves that zone defence with quick rebounders so we can move it quickly on turnover, get it in and lock it in.

So defence to attack, that transition is a big part of our game plan. So no surprise Jones is a target to fit into that quick spoiling tall defender intercept role. I wonder if we are even looking at a bigger type defender.

The way we concede clean clearances at stoppages is a bigger problem for me, no defence can stop those.
    I don’t go there often but someone on “the other forum” is saying the pick we get for Dunks and our 1st rounder to WC for Barrass. At 27 years old, that is a deal I’d do in a heartbeat.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I don’t go there often but someone on “the other forum” is saying the pick we get for Dunks and our 1st rounder to WC for Barrass. At 27 years old, that is a deal I’d do in a heartbeat.
    Two first rounders for B Side McGovern? I wouldn’t trade him for Dunkley straight up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems mega overs.

I like Barrass he's a good player but not paying that.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems mega overs.

I like Barrass he's a good player but not paying that.
    Depends how desperate we are.
    Imo, Keath will be VFL next year if he’s not retired
    Cordy, and O’Brien …not best 22

If our backline is Jones, Gardner and Darcy then god help us.

We need a quality FB who can play on the big guys, and Barrass is one of those.

We may not have a choice than to pay overs, IF he is the type we require.

Post Thanks / Like

So two first round picks for Tom Barrass? That's a significant investment but he is contracted until the end of 2026.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So two first round picks for Tom Barrass? That's a significant investment but he is contracted until the end of 2026.
    Correct, and the reason for paying overs.

Look, Cordy is VFL standard, O’Brien isn’t playing on our fwds each week. We can’t rely on either on a weekly basis.

Jones will come in but is 30+
    Gardner I don’t rate and never will.
    Darcy is another 12 months away from decent game time.
    Keath’s career is almost over and wouldn’t be surprised to see him retired.

We need height and players who can play on the Hawkins, McKay types.

Barrass is the ideal age bracket and can hold his own against those types.

If the MC see him as the ideal player we need for our backline going fwd, then sometimes you have to pay overs.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Very rarely does the 5 metres back make any difference. Just watch the player with the ball, they still kick it from the mark.

Freo play a possession type of style and are very patient in their ball movement. Once they find an out, they can take it quickly from one end to the other.
    It just makes the opposition kick the ball rather than look for over the top link plays. The player on the mark can also defend 15 metres in front of the kicker. I can understand why it's being picked up.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Collingwood gives the five.
    Melbourne and Freo don't and they're the best defensive sides.

Ok, I've got two hills to defend now. I'm not sure I have the Schlieffen plan to draw on and I need to make peace on at least one front.

BUT I WON'T!

Post Thanks / Like

I was strongly in favour of our manning the mark tactics, but given how poor our intercept game is it should come under scrutiny. Seems to me like the stand rule is not being officiated as strictly as it was at the start of the season. There was a moment against Geelong when Buku had the ball on the half back flank and Dangerfield was manning the mark. Buku dummied a handball and Danger clearly moved off the mark. A moment later he did release the handball, and Dangerfield made up significant ground on Daniel I think it was running past. So it seems like the umpires don't really care anymore if the player standing the mark moves as soon as the ball carrier moves, instead of when play on is called, and this limits the effectiveness of our tactics.

Our players seem to be instructed to go up to the mark to force them to move back, before conceding the '5' metres (usually turns out to be more like 15 metres I reckon), but our players don't always enact the first part I've noticed. When this happens, the opposition ball carrier still has forward momentum and can kick unimpeded from the mark. Perhaps something to look at tightening.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I was strongly in favour of our manning the mark tactics, but given how poor our intercept game is it should come under scrutiny. Seems to me like the stand rule is not being officiated as strictly as it was at the start of the season. There was a moment against Geelong when Buku had the ball on the half back flank and Dangerfield was manning the mark. Buku dummied a handball and Danger clearly moved off the mark. A moment later he did release the handball, and Dangerfield made up significant ground on Daniel I think it was running past. So it seems like the umpires don't really care anymore if the player standing the mark moves as soon as the ball carrier moves, instead of when play on is called, and this limits the effectiveness of our tactics.

Our players seem to be instructed to go up to the mark to force them to move back, before conceding the '5' metres (usually turns out to be more like 15 metres I reckon), but our players don't always enact the first part I've noticed. When this happens, the opposition ball carrier still has forward momentum and can kick unimpeded from the mark. Perhaps something to look at tightening.
    I don't think it is 5 metres, but looks more because almost everytime, the ball carrier just kicks from 5 metres back from the mark anyhow. They don't run forward over the mark. Standing still on the mark, is a joke and not what footy has been about for the last 150 years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I’d be looking to make that work, more palatable than Jones, despite the bigger investment.

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post

I think there's also a perverse thing going on where - because of our tactics all year - our guys either attract or actively invite umpire attention. They're always having to catch the umps' eyes and actively say 'I'm conceding the mark' and you can see the umps talk to them about it on occasion. We were the only team doing it for a while and I reckon that forced the umpires to come up with the 'outside 5' call.

Once the umps are looking at you, well, they don't stop. If they are looking somewhere else, well, you can get away with more.

22. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It just makes the opposition kick the ball rather than look for over the top link plays. The player on the mark can also defend 15 metres in front of the kicker. I can understand why it's being picked up.
    Unless the player is within 70 from goal. In those instances it gives them a lot more space to kick it deep