Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Rnd 21, 2022 vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah in that instance Bont was in the right. Forwards need to look for an angle or spread to open space for each other. Running away from him wasn't doing that and he needed someone to lead at him hard even if that person was ignored in the first place.

I also find it mind boggling that we didn't have running support for him on the inside for him to possibly use to get it to the fat side. Every time Freo got out the back in the second half they had options. We just didn't work hard enough for each other between the arcs today.
    Freo went man on man when we were exiting, it really killed our overlap.
    Man they were coached well.
    But I'm going to die on this hill, Bont screwed it!

Post Thanks / Like

Watch it again. You'll find there was plenty of opportunity for someone to be hit up.

Bont should/ could have executed the longer kick which is something many of the players failed to do for whatever reason today. But, one of those guys in that instance should have gone at him.

If you get burned as a forward you try again, you don't stubbornly run backwards hoping for it to come over the top.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, where Naughton was running to was as low a percentage a place for him to kick at goal from as anywhere on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Freo went man on man when we were exiting, it really killed our overlap.
    Man they were coached well.
    But I'm going to die on this hill, Bont screwed it!
    I think we’re showing more passion in debating this issue than our team showed all day.

There was a flatness and heaviness about the way we played that was really disappointing.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes jeemak, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think we’re showing more passion in debating this issue than our team showed all day.

There was a flatness and heaviness about the way we played that was really disappointing.
    Haha it's true. I walked to the ground really hopeful, man it was crushed quickly!

Post Thanks / Like

Watch it again. You'll find there was plenty of opportunity for someone to be hit up.

Bont should/ could have executed the longer kick which is something many of the players failed to do for whatever reason today. But, one of those guys in that instance should have gone at him.

If you get burned as a forward you try again, you don't stubbornly run backwards hoping for it to come over the top.
    I had a good view. Plus I may change my mind if I watch it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I call them the 'glory' bounces. Looks great for you there in the spotlight, but they are selfish bounces that throw everyone ahead of you out of sync. Can't believe I'm criticising Bont, but the glory bounce utterly gives me the SH&%$#ts.
    Bont running too far and burning his forwards who had busted their arse leading to space.
    He then proceeded to berate them for not being in the right spot after he took 2 bounces too many.
    Just showed the mindset of the leaders.
    I played as a forward. I would've made sure he knew that wasn't cool man!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a good view. Plus I may change my mind if I watch it again.
    NO! I want to see you die on that hill! You promised!

Post Thanks / Like

NO! I want to see you die on that hill! You promised!
    Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time Freo went coast to coast started the alarm bells ringing. I thought straight away.....it's gonna be one of THOSE games..... and it was. I never ever ever felt for one second we were gonna win today when the game started. I was confident as hell on the way in on the train.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont running too far and burning his forwards who had busted their arse leading to space.
    He then proceeded to berate them for not being in the right spot after he took 2 bounces too many.
    Just showed the mindset of the leaders.
    I played as a forward. I would've made sure he knew that wasn't cool man!
    What I hated was Keath was running along with him, but instead of sheparding Bont, it forced Bont to run harder until he was fatigued and delivered a shocker. If Keath blocked and taken the pressure off, the result would have been different
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The last 2 minutes of the first half was the moment for mine. Elite pressure for 2 mins of an 80 min contest says it all.

I reckon Collingwood brought that kind of pressure for 60 mins last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Hand on heart it sounds like I'm pushing it but I was just so dissapointed in that play.

When Bont got it, there was no one up ahead. So he ran and it was a thing of beauty.
    Naughton and Weightman were central and both absolutely sprinted to make an option.
    I'm not sure if Marcus didn't see them after the second bounce (I can't remember mightve been the first) but there was space in front of them where the ball should've been put.
    But he bounced it again.
    I love Bont I'm not trying to shoot Bambi but his reaction to that was my biggest issue.
    Of course it's because he bleeds for the team and feels it so much and was super frustrated but I personally felt on that occasion the two forwards did the right thing.
    Thought that was terrible play from our forwards who were cheating all night looking for ones over the top. Bont worked hard to take the ground, come up and meet the footy ffs. Someone had to push up and give him the clear option, or keep pushing up to create the overlap.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a telling moment early in the game with that drilling low kick from Williams to Bruce who couldn't complete the mark eneded up being a bittersweet moment.
    It highlighted that Bruce wasn't in the type of form needed because it was that's how most forwards would want the ball coming in but fortunately VDM was able to pick up the slack and kick the goal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There was a telling moment early in the game with that drilling low kick from Williams to Bruce who couldn't complete the mark eneded up being a bittersweet moment.
    It highlighted that Bruce wasn't in the type of form needed because it was that's how most forwards would want the ball coming in but fortunately VDM was able to pick up the slack and kick the goal.
    That ball had a vicious twang on it and went to the defencive side. It typified the crap and ill-considered kicking our forwards have had to put up with all year.

It's been super noticeable at Marvel this year where our forwards are going into space and the ball is put behind them.