Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  77
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do we seem to think adding players is 'The Answer'?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I really want to go through each centre clearance when I get time and analyse effectiveness. Be an interesting exercise. Damn work getting in the way !
    Are there stats for that?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't think so. Not that I can see with the pleb offerings they have.
    There is an api you can query on one site that may have something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There are stats for effective clearances as they were quoted in the article about Port's ruck setup I posted last week. No idea how you access them though. Not sure if it's just me but the AFL site seems to have fewer useful stats than it used to.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    There are stats for effective clearances as they were quoted in the article about Port's ruck setup I posted last week. No idea how you access them though. Not sure if it's just me but the AFL site seems to have fewer useful stats than it used to.
    Probably have to subscribe to Champion data
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I commented previously that it’s been said our centre clearance numbers are not as good against top sides. Would be interesting to access this stat.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I commented previously that it’s been said our centre clearance numbers are not as good against top sides. Would be interesting to access this stat.
    Look. I get it. I do. But can I just say for a second that it makes total sense to me that our numbers vs TOP SIDES wouldn't be as good as our numbers against bottom sides...shouldn't that be the case for pretty much ALL of the stats?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes Swoop, SquirrelGrip, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, perhaps the opposite is true... removing players is the answer?

If there is disunity within the group (which is likely given the 'spirit' in which we've played for most of the year) perhaps removing the source of that disunity will help get everyone on the same page?

Something isn't right.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Well, perhaps the opposite is true... removing players is the answer?

If there is disunity within the group (which is likely given the 'spirit' in which we've played for most of the year) perhaps removing the source of that disunity will help get everyone on the same page?

Something isn't right.
    There's always something to this. As in any organisation though, the people who you want to see leave, NEVER DO (or have some kind of tenure/contracts that prevents their removal). In reality, the REASON why they are able to behave the way they do (against the core values of the group) is that at some point they have been essentially given the green light to do it (or what they perceived as the green light) OR they possess what they believe is a unique skill/capability that is somehow core to the operation...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at the point where I think Bevo is a large part of the problem. When it works we look great but it feels like its only worked intermittently for the last 4 years.

I feel like I know if we will win or lose within the 1st 5 minutes of a game and Im sick and tired of midfields walking through us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There's always something to this. As in any organisation though, the people who you want to see leave, NEVER DO (or have some kind of tenure/contracts that prevents their removal). In reality, the REASON why they are able to behave the way they do (against the core values of the group) is that at some point they have been essentially given the green light to do it (or what they perceived as the green light) OR they possess what they believe is a unique skill/capability that is somehow core to the operation...
    In regular organisations it's hard to move people on, in clubland it is at least a little easier via the contract process for players by either telling them to explore their options or (a la Dahlhaus & JJ) low balling them so they look elsewhere themselves.

There is the 'creeping' behavioral change to consider too - small adjustments to behaviour over time that add up to a player suddenly being dropped/counselled and that player's reaction to the message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm at the point where I think Bevo is a large part of the problem. When it works we look great but it feels like its only worked intermittently for the last 4 years.

I feel like I know if we will win or lose within the 1st 5 minutes of a game and Im sick and tired of midfields walking through us.
    It's more about the intangible 'magic' a coach can instill into a group.

Craig McRae has it with Collingwood. Complete buy in. Right now we simply don't. GWS had arguably the best list in the competition but lacked the complete 'buy in'.
    We had it in 2015 and 2016, and for most of 2021. We have completely lost it right now.

Can Bevo get it back, and if so, how?

17. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's more about the intangible 'magic' a coach can instill into a group.

Craig McRae has it with Collingwood. Complete buy in. Right now we simply don't. GWS had arguably the best list in the competition but lacked the complete 'buy in'.
    We had it in 2015 and 2016, and for most of 2021. We have completely lost it right now.

Can Bevo get it back, and if so, how?
    Agree with you overall but I dont think we had it for most of last year.

11 of our 15 wins were vs teams outside the 8 but of course we were neck deep in a GF up until the 15th minute of the 3rd qtr.

And that is part of why I think its time for a change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Agree with you overall but I dont think we had it for most of last year.

11 of our 15 wins were vs teams outside the 8 but of course we were neck deep in a GF up until the 15th minute of the 3rd qtr.

And that is part of why I think its time for a change.
    I'm a massive fan of Bevo - he's coached 50% of our GF appearances and 33% of our finals wins since 1925 - but I am starting to worry he can't bring back that "something" we had in the group.

I really think he needs to embrace the 'professional' footy-head types (and that means retaining Dunkley) and consider moving on the guys who like the lifestyle as much as their footy (and there is one name in particular I have in mind).

If that means a late increased offer to Dunkley and taking unders at the trade table for "good" players we are shopping around - so be it.

20. Likes GVGjr, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(and there is one name in particular I have in mind)
    Ummm...WHO?

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be the bloke who signed on for 2 years recently?