Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers vs Anchors: Rnd 22, 2022 vs GWS

This is the Round 22, 2022 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against GWS is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers vs Anchors: Rnd 22, 2022 vs GWS

Bankers
    1. Ed Richards - four quarter effort and rarely beaten, his confidence is improving each week.
    2. Tom Liberatore and Rhylee West . I wish everyone mirrored their repeat efforts.
    3. Tim English - in hindsight his 3rd quarter burst probably was the difference.

Anchors
    1.Our coaching staff - their absolute refusal to have players man up and allow the opposition a ridiculous number of free uncontested possessions, this was a carbon copy of the Fremantle game in that respect.
    2. Adjudicating - Naughton's non-mark WAS a mark. Did Naughton's "goal" really hit the post ??
    3. McNeill - we can't continue to carry him imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    1. Tim English is an X-factor ruckman. We have to take the good with the bad and just enjoy when he's "on"
    2. Marra just gets better every week. Really getting some separation from Naughton and is a genuine threat forward (at times, our only option forward)
    3. Darcy is ahead of where I (and others) expected him to be. The guy's 1cm shorter than Street but somehow looks classy

Anchors:
    1. Bailey Williams had a mare, something's not right
    2. Jack Macrae is carrying more than just a niggle
    3. Stef deserved his game after his VFL form but jeez he delivered what many of us feared he would.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Team defence - against some serious headwinds (see anchors) we defended the ground well. It might have been frustrating to watch the Giants chip it around but they weren't making any ground on us. They did their homework but we held up.

Half backs - Daniel, Richards, Dale and Treloar were all influential offensively while still mindful of their need to defend.

Bailey Williams - has been shifted around a lot this year and struggled to make any position his. To his credit he gave us two crucial goals in the third quarter playing at half forward.

Anchors

Umpiring - obviously there was some directive to not pay borderline marks. We had three or four not paid that were incredibly costly and would have been paid last week. Probably the result of some coach complaining during the week. I'm sick of seeing the umpiring change week to week, it's a total farce that you don't see in other professional sports. State the rules for the coming season as soon as possible after the previous season finishes, and commit to umpire to those rules for the entirety of the coming season.

Forwards - outcompeted consistently in even numbered contests. Sometimes we could be better bringing the ball in, but most of the time we're just getting smashed one on one, giving their defenders clean ball out the back. Jamarra in my view should stay down for the high balls and let Naughton go to work. Marra is much better on the lead and has proven himself valuable at ground level. West lifted to provide a contest in the second half but was part of the problem in the first half with his faffing.

Stoppages - we came out on top in the clearances in the end but it should have been a primary advantage. Libba broke clear of the tag in the end to give us some ascendancy. Bont, Dunkley and Smith weren't good enough to handle the ball cleanly from the stoppage in the first half.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Smith's goal was a ripper from just outside 50

2. Tim English was the difference in the end

3. Really liked JUH efforts when he couldn't mark the ball - just kept at it.

Anchors

1. Ed Richards pass across the middle to gift GWS a goal

2. Caleb handball straight to a GWS player for a goal

3. Umpiring - bewildering to say the least
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bankers:
    1. Tim English is an X-factor ruckman. We have to take the good with the bad and just enjoy when he's "on"
    2. Marra just gets better every week. Really getting some separation from Naughton and is a genuine threat forward (at times, our only option forward)
    3. Darcy is ahead of where I (and others) expected him to be. The guy's 1cm shorter than Street but somehow looks classy

Anchors:
    1. Bailey Williams had a mare, something's not right

2. Jack Macrae is carrying more than just a niggle
    3. Stef deserved his game after his VFL form but jeez he delivered what many of us feared he would.
    I'm struggling to understand how you arrived at this one to be honest Mofra. I thought Williams was really good. He kicked two clutch goals, and Bevo mentioned he had been given a specific role at a certain part of the game, and indicated he was very happy with how he performed.

8. Likes Dry Rot, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    - we got a couple goals from centre clearance. Kudos men!
    - Bailey kicked a bag!
    - Marra leading at the ball is sublime. Gosh that guy is coming on quickly.

Anchors:
    - Having to sit through that. Thank god for beer.
    - Hope. It kills ya.
    - Turnovers. Lots of ‘em.

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Richards seem to get better every game

Ditto Marra

West never shirks the hard stuff

Anchors

A Giants team without Greene and their first choice ruckman almost beat us

As the years go by and the more matches I watch, the less I understand many umpire's decisions

Our team selections are getting more bizarre - how did VDM and McNeill get picked ahead of Garcia?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. McNeill - I get the frustration but in between that he does some good things - tap to English for his goal; defensive spoil coming over the top; finding space for his (poor) shot (which he should have dished out to Treloar)

2. Richards and Dale - both guns across the half back; prone to making a mistake or two but counter that with their attack

3. Williams - two clutch goals. Not getting a log of the pill at the moment but he is obviously playing various roles within games.

Anchors

1. Forward line - struggled last night at times. Whilst Bruce hasn’t been great he does provide a better structure. Schache could also do this role. Roll the dice and bring the Shaq in next week

2. Boring footy - it sucks. Footy is so much better when the game is taken on.

3. Garcia non selection - I like what he brings. Reckon we missed him tonight

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Bankers
    1. McNeill - I get the frustration but in between that he does some good things - tap to English for his goal; defensive spoil coming over the top; finding space for his (poor) shot (which he should have dished out to Treloar)

2. Richards and Dale - both guns across the half back; prone to making a mistake or two but counter that with their attack

3. Williams - two clutch goals. Not getting a log of the pill at the moment but he is obviously playing various roles within games.

Anchors

1. Forward line - struggled last night at times. Whilst Bruce hasn’t been great he does provide a better structure. Schache could also do this role. Roll the dice and bring the Shaq in next week

2. Boring footy - it sucks. Footy is so much better when the game is taken on.

3. Garcia non selection - I like what he brings. Reckon we missed him tonight
    Seven players named positively here. I have heard rumours that two won’t be at the club next year. I find that interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Seven players named positively here. I have heard rumours that two won’t be at the club next year. I find that interesting.
    Schache and Williams ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Ed Richards- Another impressive display
    2. English- Leave him as the stand alone number 1 ruck please.
    3. Dale

Anchor

1. Dunkley- Just do not want the ball in his hands through transition. Too slow to make a decision.
    2. Macrae- Just looks out of form. Not used to seeing that.
    3. Team defence- Can't stand the way we defend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Bankers

1. Ed Richards- Another impressive display
    2. English- Leave him as the stand alone number 1 ruck please.
    3. Dale

Anchor

1. Dunkley- Just do not want the ball in his hands through transition. Too slow to make a decision.
    I agree Macrae has been out of form, but he did improve as the game went along. Was surprised to see he got the ball 31 times.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post

Anchor

I thought our team defence is what won us the game. The giants inability and lack a dare to break thru our team defence was evident from where I was sitting (level 2 behind the goals). I can’t recall an easy goal of the back of their game style.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

19. Likes azabob, Scorlibo liked this post