Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  74
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade hypotheticals

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    "Someone" at WB thought Young was a ruckman just as they thought Dunkley was a ruckman. That same "someone"
    thinks McComb, McNeill and Cordy are best 22 and Bruce (this week "managed") will be an automatic walk up after three grossly underwhelming games.
    Just wish we could get a premiership coach who could take us to another GF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    A striker ?
    Best header in the game

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wrong thread
    Last edited by bornadog; 14-08-2022 at 12:14 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    How did we let Lewis Young go. He has played pretty well for Carlton tonight and is not on much coin. Now here we are looking for a Big body defender. Go figure Deja Ve. Another Roughead situation
    We offered him a contract, he said no. I don't know what else we are supposed to do.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We offered him a contract, he said no. I don't know what else we are supposed to do.
    If you take a step back from that position the answer might have been as simple as "we see you as the CHB for this club in 2022 and we will give you an extended run at it to prove your worth". "Your days of filling in with the rucks and forward spots are behind you".

The retention of players doesn't stop with a contract offer. That's the easy part and you need to sell the vision of support and development.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If you take a step back from that position the answer might have been as simple as "we see you as the CHB for this club in 2022 and we will give you an extended run at it to prove your worth". "Your days of filling in with the rucks and forward spots are behind you".

The retention of players doesn't stop with a contract offer. That's the easy part and you need to sell the vision of support and development.
    We don't know what was said, but he was offered a contract - means Lewis didn't want to be at the Dogs.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We don't know what was said, but he was offered a contract - means Lewis didn't want to be at the Dogs.

I guess we cant blame him after how he was used. He needed a fresh start and seems to be loving it, he made the right choice.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess we cant blame him after how he was used. He needed a fresh start and seems to be loving it, he made the right choice.
    Young and English were asked to sacrifice their games for the good of the team. English forward, Young to ruck - a temporary measure to help the team. I guess Young couldn't hack it.

13. Thanks China Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Young and English were asked to sacrifice their games for the good of the team. English forward, Young to ruck - a temporary measure to help the team. I guess Young couldn't hack it.
    Or he just got sold a better future at a club that'd use him in a position he wants to play. It was a no brainer for him.

Let's not beat around the bush, he was never hard enough for Bevo and his future was always elsewhere. Schache will be the same.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, DOG GOD, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2018 Young got 2 games
    in 2019 he got 5.
    In 2020 he got 1.

In three seasons he missed selection in over 50 games- for a team that was often dysfunctional.

In 2021 he was overlooked for most of the season. Then got a few games in the ‘ruck crazies’ era.

Any player who can hack that treatment is an imbecile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Or he just got sold a better future at a club that'd use him in a position he wants to play. It was a no brainer for him.

Let's not beat around the bush, he was never hard enough for Bevo and his future was always elsewhere. Schache will be the same.
    Will Collingwood’s inability to get goals today improve Schache’s chances of getting selected there? They could get him for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Will Collingwood’s inability to get goals today improve Schache’s chances of getting selected there? They could get him for nothing.
    If that happens I’ll be quietly cheering for him, as I have with Young and Lippy (except when they play us). I’d really thought Schache was showing some good signs towards end of last season and this season incl VFL. Bevo clearly disagrees and yes it is likely to do with timidity. I look at players like Aish who’ve forged a pretty good career without being courageous and feel we could have been more supportive of all 3 and possibly reaped the benefits whilst still in RWB. It is what it is though and I know the MC know way more than we do, including synergy with other players, non-negotiables etc. Hopefully with Darcy, English, Naughts and Marra (and whatever other KPP we bring in) we will not regret losing reasonable backup talls. No-one can convince me (on current or past form) Cordy or Gardner could have done better then Young last night. I thought he did well in a pressure cooker environment against Brown who is a reasonable forward and good mark.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost wouldn't trade him for anyone. Anyone at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    No way!

English had a great start to the year & hasn't quite been the same since the concussion. I feel he proved to me that he can be a first ruck & i like the Lobb interest. Thats when we looked our best last year with that forward/ruck being a genuine ruck option.

Waited so long to see English be the player we hoped he would be & we can't trade him now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In 2018 Young got 2 games
    in 2019 he got 5.
    In 2020 he got 1.

In three seasons he missed selection in over 50 games- for a team that was often dysfunctional.

In 2021 he was overlooked for most of the season. Then got a few games in the ‘ruck crazies’ era.

Any player who can hack that treatment is an imbecile.
    The other point with what you say there is that in 2019 they made a concerted effort with Young to play him in the 2's and teach him the trade down back. He was told to forget about being the intercept defender but learn the trade on how to play on key forwards. Then in 2020/21 for whatever reason he wasn't given a key defender role. Our loss because he looks such a better player who can now play man on man as well as intercept.

Post Thanks / Like

By all accounts he didn't exactly keep himself in the best shape during the Covid years. You can't promote a guy if they don't deserve it.
    Sometimes a change of clubs is needed for a player to really knuckle down.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Likes hujsh, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post