Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Club to Conduct Review

According to Channel Seven:

The Bulldogs will conduct a thorough review as pressure mounts on coach Luke Beveridge. He says his players lost concentration during a costly elimination final fade-out against the Dockers.

After two years of shortened pre-seasons due to COVID, the elimination exit will allow the Dogs to undertake a more thorough review of their football program compared to recent campaigns.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club to Conduct Review

The media are smelling blood, get ready for a massive massive offer from EFC for Bevo to coach there. I'm not worried about it actually coming to fruition, mind, just think that's the path things will take.

It's good we're undertaking a review, hopefully it produces something we can act upon.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The media are smelling blood, get ready for a massive massive offer from EFC for Bevo to coach there. I'm not worried about it actually coming to fruition, mind, just think that's the path things will take.

It's good we're undertaking a review, hopefully it produces something we can act upon.
    Agree, but so long as its a proper review and not a witch hunt or a gloss over to keep the supporters happy.

We have some bits and pieces that are not working, but 75% is working so the review really should be how do we bridge that last gap and focus not on Bevo specificallly, but on:

1) List deficiencies
    2) Coaching deficiencies
    3) Selection policies
    4) Gameplan and Tactics - Plan's B, C etc

Not sure there is a lot wrong and mostly they ok. It should be a positive review rather than a bloodletting. Sadly review's tend to end up as bloodletting because the media want someone to blame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree, but so long as its a proper review and not a witch hunt or a gloss over to keep the supporters happy.

We have some bits and pieces that are not working, but 75% is working so the review really should be how do we bridge that last gap and focus not on Bevo specificallly, but on:

1) List deficiencies
    2) Coaching deficiencies
    3) Selection policies

Not sure there is a lot wrong and mostly they ok. It should be a positive review rather than a bloodletting. Sadly review's tend to end up as bloodletting because the media want someone to blame.
    It'll be interesting to see how we execute it versus how the noise/ reporting/ supporter wishes expect us to.

If I strip it back what I'm seeing is a club that feels it hasn't been able to really enact thorough process the past two years and now has the clear air to do so. Tick. Two years in hubs going into lockdown versus no hubs and no return to lock down should provide us with sufficient access to everyone we need to have access to when we need it.

We all concentrate on the grand final loss as being a mentally draining event on our players, however, the physical and emotional toll of hubbing to the death after an already exhausting season isn't ever talked about and it should be.

Send me interstate for work for five days and I want to get my stab on.....do it for five weeks without any freedom plus the pressure of winning finals and participating in a grand final and I'm probably searching the dark web for inspiration on how to do all sorts of things.......(I've thought of the things, so you don't have to......and no, I'm not posting those thoughts).

So what would I want to see?

- How do we optimise our soft cap spend
    - What support do the players need to enact on-field leadership/ empowerment in alignment with instruction/ the plan
    - List assessment/ actions
    - General best practice house keeping and process

There's no time for in depth game strategy and tactical reviews, and in honesty, too much in one hit will just get noses out of joint.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear we're not sitting on our hands and have higher expectations than what we have delivered this season. It's been disappointing, very disappointing.

7. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hold the phone.

I'd like to hope Cleary's source is better than Luke Beveridge press conference.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a proactive review and should pretty much be BAU for something like this to happen with a degree of regulatory.

I wouldn’t in any way draw a line between this and Bevo being “under pressure”. And this isn’t like Essendon’s reviews which are desperate and layered with agendas. Ours would be driven by one thing: improve the chances of us winning a flag next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

1) List deficiencies
    2) Coaching deficiencies
    3) Selection policies

There also needs to be a review of our physical conditioning/ player rehab dept.

We have way too many soft tissue injuries... but they all pretty much all happen at training... why is that? I can think of 4 which happened at key times:

* O'Brien - did a calf in the pre-season which pretty much rail-roaded his season. Started in the VFL and never got going. Given he had an extra 6-8 weeks holiday as Hawthorn's season finished much earlier than ours was his training load impacted? We brought him in for a specific purpose and got nothing out of him at all.

* Keath - hamstring injury at training, never got going afterwards. How did this happen?

* English - did a hamstring at training when coming back from concussion. How did this happen?

* Libba - did a hamstring at training prior to the EF. How the *!*!*!*! did this happen? How good would have he been in greasy conditions on Saturday night.

11. Likes Scorlibo, Sedat, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There also needs to be a review of our physical conditioning/ player rehab dept.

We have way too many soft tissue injuries... but they all pretty much all happen at training... why is that? I can think of 4 which happened at key times:

* O'Brien - did a calf in the pre-season which pretty much rail-roaded his season. Started in the VFL and never got going. Given he had an extra 6-8 weeks holiday as Hawthorn's season finished much earlier than ours was his training load impacted? We brought him in for a specific purpose and got nothing out of him at all.

* Keath - hamstring injury at training, never got going afterwards. How did this happen?

* English - did a hamstring at training when coming back from concussion. How did this happen?

* Libba - did a hamstring at training prior to the EF. How the *!*!*!*! did this happen? How good would have he been in greasy conditions on Saturday night.
    Is this any different to other clubs? Genuine question, because I don't know and it would be good to compare and give a tick to conditioning.

Needs a review, that is for sure.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ did a calf in the warm up of round 1!!!

I mentioned in another thread it is like we didn't anticipate and train for high intensity speed and pace during the games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point... on conditioning generally, in recent games against Fremantle and GWS we applied manic pressure and as a result seemed to get too tired to execute the other way. Our inability to prevent transition and spread across the whole season is also signalling that we could be a lot fitter.

One positive is that we don't have many on the sidelines right now, the majority of the list should get a full pre-season.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The injuries have been a problem for a long time - at least since 2016.

I remember watching a few Saints and North games in 2016, 2017 and 2018 where they did the same 'manic pressure' thing we do and thinking there was a correlation between manic pressure and inconsistency between games because it's so, so costly. Those games it was always who ran out of puff first lost, they were 50/50. You can also end up over-committing energy for limited reward in one game and not regain it before the next game.

There is only one team in the league who's made 'manic pressure' work long-term without constant major injuries and that's Sydney (and that doesn't meant hey get no injuries, just that they are fewer and further between and have less major impact). We have the youth, like the Swans, so it should be possible, but it relies on them taking the 'manic' burden off our older players.

but by this point I'm pretty over manic pressure TBH. I'd rather a smart system that produced pressure when executed well (IE Melbourne or Richmond) rather than a system that relies on player exertion (Swans, Dogs, Saints, North).

But regardless of that, fitness seems to be a really key element and we really need to address it.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

This would almost be worth it for the mental gymnastics we’d see out of some media members.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Needs to be a review conducted from an external source, not internal, I have zero faith in internal reviews anymore, specially if conducted by one of ''the boys''.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned this in another thread when the news of Libba broke. As mentioned there was also JJ in the warm ups who got injured. Lot of it is luck, it's just that when you line them up like this it seems it could be an issue with what we're doing or not doing. Our injuries have been crippling for a long time, it wouldn't hurt to clean this area out and bring in some new ideas.