Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club to Conduct Review

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Needs to be a review conducted from an external source, not internal, I have zero faith in internal reviews anymore, specially if conducted by one of ''the boys''.
    While it wouldn't hurt to have an 'external' member of any review to ensure integrity it just seems to be a bit harsh to draw a conclusion that there is a boys club in place at the club.
    Why do you have zero faith in internal reviews?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's not Bevo per se, but all the coaches. Others on here will have more of an understanding than I do, but our midfield coach needs to be replaced (I know this is his first year, but our midfield was extremely average this year compared to years past - and I'm not talking statistics, I'm talking getting beaten strategically.) On paper, we should be dominating against teams (including Fremantle on Saturday without Libba) but we are not. It's not through lack of effort, it looks from a layman's point of view, like game plan. I would also like to see a senior assistant for Bevo ... someone with end-of-line experience (Leon Cameron et al) that can help guide or give a different perspective.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While it wouldn't hurt to have an 'external' member of any review to ensure integrity it just seems to be a bit harsh to draw a conclusion that there is a boys club in place at the club.
    From experience with the workplace, reviews/audits etc are much easier internally. There are too many internal relationships which clouds judgement or can create a bias.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    For me it's not Bevo per se, but all the coaches. Others on here will have more of an understanding than I do, but our midfield coach needs to be replaced (I know this is his first year, but our midfield was extremely average this year compared to years past - and I'm not talking statistics, I'm talking getting beaten strategically.) On paper, we should be dominating against teams (including Fremantle on Saturday without Libba) but we are not. It's not through lack of effort, it looks from a layman's point of view, like game plan. I would also like to see a senior assistant for Bevo ... someone with end-of-line experience (Leon Cameron et al) that can help guide or give a different perspective.
    We got absolutely rinsed by King and Hansen leaving after coaching panels were supposedly set for the year (Hansen leaving in December was particularly rough) and sort of had to scramble to get some guys in, and no one is really talking about it.

Like Spangher felt like a jobs for mates style appointment but really what else was out there? Hoping that the recruitment of some quality assistants will be top of the priority list behind the scenes.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how we execute it versus how the noise/ reporting/ supporter wishes expect us to.

If I strip it back what I'm seeing is a club that feels it hasn't been able to really enact thorough process the past two years and now has the clear air to do so. Tick. Two years in hubs going into lockdown versus no hubs and no return to lock down should provide us with sufficient access to everyone we need to have access to when we need it.

We all concentrate on the grand final loss as being a mentally draining event on our players, however, the physical and emotional toll of hubbing to the death after an already exhausting season isn't ever talked about and it should be.

Send me interstate for work for five days and I want to get my stab on.....do it for five weeks without any freedom plus the pressure of winning finals and participating in a grand final and I'm probably searching the dark web for inspiration on how to do all sorts of things.......(I've thought of the things, so you don't have to......and no, I'm not posting those thoughts).

So what would I want to see?

- How do we optimise our soft cap spend
    - What support do the players need to enact on-field leadership/ empowerment in alignment with instruction/ the plan
    - List assessment/ actions
    - General best practice house keeping and process

There's no time for in depth game strategy and tactical reviews, and in honesty, too much in one hit will just get noses out of joint.
    Jee surely we need to also review the strategy and tactics? The players either don't believe in the game plan or don't understand it.

The same issues week after week were on show for all to see.

For mine it would be borderline irrational not to strip the game plan / strategy / tactics back and then build it back up.

If we don't chances 2023 will be worse.
    Last edited by azabob; 05-09-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    For mine it would border on negligence not to strip the game plan / strategy / tactics back and then build it back up.
    But that is for the coaches to do, not some other party.

The review needs to work out if the coaches are the right people to take us forward
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We got absolutely rinsed by King and Hansen leaving after coaching panels were supposedly set for the year (Hansen leaving in December was particularly rough) and sort of had to scramble to get some guys in, and no one is really talking about it.

Like Spangher felt like a jobs for mates style appointment but really what else was out there? Hoping that the recruitment of some quality assistants will be top of the priority list behind the scenes.
    Ok Hansen left - bad.

We let him leave? Why? How does this help us?

Sometimes I really do feel our organisation is individual before whole.

Hansen is a pro surely he realises that's not cool and would honour his deal with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ok Hansen left - bad.

We let him leave? Why? How does this help us?

Sometimes I really do feel our organisation is individual before whole.

Hansen is a pro surely he realises that's not cool and would honour his deal with us.
    Hansen and King had been with us for a long time. What we could have done is bring in another senior assistant to cover our losses, but instead we got inexperienced guys.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hansen and King had been with us for a long time. What we could have done is bring in another senior assistant to cover our losses, but instead we got inexperienced guys.
    You're right.

I guess the question as HD has intimated is: did we have time?

Soft cap issues, played all the way to the end in a distorted season.

Sometimes you have to say no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    You're right.

I guess the question as HD has intimated is: did we have time?

Soft cap issues, played all the way to the end in a distorted season.

Sometimes you have to say no.
    Yeah, it was like a last minute thing to lose Hansen. King excepted a role after the GF.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But that is for the coaches to do, not some other party.

The review needs to work out if the coaches are the right people to take us forward
    The club actually has not confirmed if a review will be happening. If it will be an internal review or an external review.

Either way Beveridge and co need to review our game plan/strategy/tactics.

Don't you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The media are smelling blood, get ready for a massive massive offer from EFC for Bevo to coach there. I'm not worried about it actually coming to fruition, mind, just think that's the path things will take.

It's good we're undertaking a review, hopefully it produces something we can act upon.
    Stkilda will be after him if we get the wobbles again next year and they continue on their road to no where. Bevo will make an impact where he goes there is no doubt about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Having an external review means it’s independent and I’d expect the auditors/reviewers would be chosen only if have a good knowledge for what is best practice or recommend or call upon relevant technical experts eg fitness/conditioning. I think Bevo etc. should be ok with this, and I’m hoping it is external. If I recall correctly Bevo was a tax or compliance auditor of some sort (or similar) and a senior one at that. I reckon he’d be aok with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I still vote for Jimmy Bartel to conduct the review and then be charged with implementing the recommendations.

Anyone else have other suggestions who?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I still vote for Jimmy Bartel to conduct the review and then be charged with implementing the recommendations.

Anyone else have other suggestions who?
    It would never happen but Jason Dunstall has the credibility from my perspective. What is Graham Lowe doing now?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"