Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  406

View Poll Results: What do we give up for Lobb?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our first round pick with something in the 2nd round coming back

0 0%
  • Our 2nd round pick will suffice

7 15.22%
  • Our 3rd round pick and nothing more

5 10.87%
  • A creative combination of picks and suitable returns

7 15.22%
  • Our JJ compensation pick

5 10.87%
  • Other option

0 0%
  • I'd rather someone else

7 15.22%
  • We don't need him

15 32.61%
Page 1 of 49 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Lobb

Post Thanks / Like

Rory Lobb

The media speculation is still very strong that Fremantle will trade Lobb and we are in the box seat to take him
    Lobb will give us a productive tall forward capable of kicking goals but also the luxury of knowing that when English is having a rest we will have a very competitive chop out to replace him.

How keen are you to get Rory Lobb to the club?
    And if so, what is a reasonable pick to part with to get him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The media speculation is still very strong that Fremantle will trade Lobb and we are in the box seat to take him
    Lobb will give us a productive tall forward capable of kicking goals but also the luxury of knowing that when English is having a rest we will have a very competitive chop out to replace him.

I've said my thoughts on this a couple of times, so I'll keep it brief.
    I get his skill set it what we need... I just cannot resile from the fact that he and about a dozen other Giants from the 2016 Prelim vintage are persona non grata as far as I'm concerned. Lobb is one of those.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it means playing Naughton back im very keen.

Hopefully we can get him for a 2nd rounder.
    The curse is dead.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to sell the farm to get him, so I voted a creative combination of picks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I get his skill set it what we need... I just cannot resile from the fact that he and about a dozen other Giants from the 2016 Prelim vintage are persona non grata as far as I'm concerned. Lobb is one of those.
    Time to build a bridge...we won, they lost... happy days!

We need to add players to our team to help us win more than we are currently and Lobb helps in that regard.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't need him, Bruce will have a smashing pre-season and get back to 2021 form, his surplus to needs.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Don't need him, Bruce will have a smashing pre-season and get back to 2021 form, his surplus to needs.
    If English is injured, who rucks? I don't think we can rely just on Sweet who has a long way to go. Plus does Bruce do the relief rucking?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    And if he (Bruce) doesn't?

I have absolutely no confidence that Bruce will get back to being a regular contributor for our team.

12. Likes Mofra, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be open to Lobb coming to the club (JUH and Darcy aren't yet ready to consistently impact up forward and Bruce is a question mark to say the least), but my preference is to trade English out while he is at his absolutely highest trade value and bring Grundy in, with Collingwood paying a portion of his salary. A Grundy/Lobb 1-2 punch is a much more potent mix than English/Lobb, who are both essentially the same player - underwhelming stoppage ruckmen but dangerous up forward. Alternatively, bring Grundy in and not Lobb, and sit English down and give him the truth of life that he will never be 'the man' for us in ruck, and that he needs to modify his game significantly to ensure his skill set better benefits the team.

I've posted this elsewhere but we have a critical and obvious area of weakness in our core ruck/stoppage set-up that has been repeatedly and ruthlessly exposed in big games in the last 3-4 years - I want our club to address this first before we tinker around the edges with 2nd ruck/forward. Lobb doesn't address the core ruck weakness (nor does English - a 4 year sample size is plenty big enough to make that assessment).

I am sick of seeing us lose in big games the exact same way, I hope the match committee is also finally sick of it because it has cost us so much already at the pointy end in the last few years.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with Lobb coming in

There is no certainty Bruce will regain form. I say highly unlikely he will.

Schache? His future must be up in the air at the moment. I would retain him.

Jamarra & Darcy, still developing

Martin going

He helps out in the ruck where we have limited resources.

If he takes the place of one of these hybrid bad kicking midfielders that can't get a regular game then that has to improve us.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Don't need him.

Inconsistent (granted this year has been very good) and we've got tall forwards coming through.

I don't think we are in the window that I thought we were so I believe the list has bigger issues that need addressing.

17. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If English is injured, who rucks? I don't think we can rely just on Sweet who has a long way to go. Plus does Bruce do the relief rucking?
    Isn't that a different question? We shouldn't be trading for Lobb to cover English he is more or less there to support him.
    We will still need to find a back up ruckman to replace Martin.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that a different question? We shouldn't be trading for Lobb to cover English he is more or less there to support him.
    We will still need to find a back up ruckman to replace Martin.
    We are on the same page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    my preference is to trade English out while he is at his absolutely highest trade value and bring Grundy in, with Collingwood paying a portion of his salary.
    All sounds good but it won't be happening, so in the meantime we need another solution

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I would be open to Lobb coming to the club (JUH and Darcy aren't yet ready to consistently impact up forward and Bruce is a question mark to say the least), but my preference is to trade English out while he is at his absolutely highest trade value and bring Grundy in, with Collingwood paying a portion of his salary. A Grundy/Lobb 1-2 punch is a much more potent mix than English/Lobb, who are both essentially the same player - underwhelming stoppage ruckmen but dangerous up forward. Alternatively, bring Grundy in and not Lobb, and sit English down and give him the truth of life that he will never be 'the man' for us in ruck, and that he needs to modify his game significantly to ensure his skill set better benefits the team.

I've posted this elsewhere but we have a critical and obvious area of weakness in our core ruck/stoppage set-up that has been repeatedly and ruthlessly exposed in big games in the last 3-4 years - I want our club to address this first before we tinker around the edges with 2nd ruck/forward. Lobb doesn't address the core ruck weakness (nor does English - a 4 year sample size is plenty big enough to make that assessment).

I am sick of seeing us lose in big games the exact same way, I hope the match committee is also finally sick of it because it has cost us so much already at the pointy end in the last few years.
    Great summation as always Sedat.

Pretty much where I am at with it all too, only query is if it is worth going after Lobb at 30 y.o if we aren't a serious contender? Things can and do change quickly, but I think we have too many holes in the list to contend next year.

Assuming Dunkley goes, would we be better placed to also lose JJ/Hunter types and go to the draft?
    W00F!

22. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post