Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  406

View Poll Results: What do we give up for Lobb?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our first round pick with something in the 2nd round coming back

0 0%
  • Our 2nd round pick will suffice

7 15.22%
  • Our 3rd round pick and nothing more

5 10.87%
  • A creative combination of picks and suitable returns

7 15.22%
  • Our JJ compensation pick

5 10.87%
  • Other option

0 0%
  • I'd rather someone else

7 15.22%
  • We don't need him

15 32.61%
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Lobb

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m not gonna not be a member or stop going to games or anything like that, but we pay a cent more than pick 29 for Lobb and I’m gonna egg and maybe tag up Whitten Oval hold me to it.
    A late pick back to use on the two rounders for Dunkley deal?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At this stage, there is no one else to play that Ruck, Fwd role and he is an upgrade on whatever we can dish up.
    It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it. Bruce can still provide that 5 minute chop out but no doubt Lobb would be an upgrade on that. I'm not convinced we need him but I think we will strike a late deal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it. Bruce can still provide that 5 minute chop out but no doubt Lobb would be an upgrade on that. I'm not convinced we need him but I think we will strike a late deal.
    How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021? I really like him, he works hard and when it's going well for him the team functions so much better. However, given his form with us and that after his peak in that time he suffered a serious knee injury taking only him as the viable forward/ ruck next year is asking for trouble.

And it's the toughest position on the field to find someone competent in. A cursory glance at Sydney and Sam Reid these past few years and these past couple of weeks demonstrates how critical it is to get right.

If Lobb wasn't on the table this year, and Bruce fell away next year via a recurrence of injury or form how do you think we'd react around here if nothing was done and we left things up to JUH and Darcy?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021? I really like him, he works hard and when it's going well for him the team functions so much better. However, given his form with us and that after his peak in that time he suffered a serious knee injury taking only him as the viable forward/ ruck next year is asking for trouble.

And it's the toughest position on the field to find someone competent in. A cursory glance at Sydney and Sam Reid these past few years and these past couple of weeks demonstrates how critical it is to get right.

If Lobb wasn't on the table this year, and Bruce fell away next year via a recurrence of injury or form how do you think we'd react around here if nothing was done and we left things up to JUH and Darcy?
    and Tim English was injured
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fairly confident he can get back to 85% of his 2021 form. He never really had a chance this year and it was exceptionally poor planning on our behalf to have not covered it in the last trade period.
    I don't think Josh Bruce is a spent force for us. With a good pre-season behind him he can still play a part.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

How confident are you in Bruce holding up or returning to half the form he showed in 2021?
    I'm more confident of him returning to his 2020 form.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you GVGjr, Bruce is a known quantity and he was always going to take this season just to rebound. A full preseason running with Jack Steele will lay the foundation for a strong and consistent season in 2023.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, he needs to be able to compete with quality opponents and he makes Naughton and Marra better around him.

The question is whether he regains his 2021 form and Marra continues to improve, how does Lobb fit into a functioning forward line?

8. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the way we use it determined by tactics or personnel available? Might having a player like Lobb alter the way we use our ruck/2nd ruck somewhat?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not being a narc if you're asked to do it.
    Good point.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

It's a somewhat over rated position with the way we use it.
    Have a look at the way Geelong use their rucks. Maybe we start Tim and Lobb in the centre with Tim playing a Blicavs role.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the way Geelong use their rucks. Maybe we start Tim and Lobb in the centre with Tim playing a Blicavs role.
    Why not go harder to get Grundy then? Get a real first ruck and gave Tim in that role? With the four tall forwards, maybe keep Schache as depth/insurance on minimal dollars?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why not go harder to get Grundy then? Get a real first ruck and gave Tim in that role? With the four tall forwards, maybe keep Schache as depth/insurance on minimal dollars?
    As much as I would love that, I don't think we are talking to him - but you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I reckon everyone would love Grundy and have Tim play the forward ruck role which he could do at an all time elite level - but given you haven't been around you may have missed the chatter about Tim pretty much signing on conditional upon being played as a first ruck.

If it were me I'd just play Tim where I wanted him to play and get Grundy in. Tim might crack the shits but if he wanted a great deal in two years time he'd have to play well anyway, so it would be a win win and by the time he did (if - you know, kicking goals and being awesome is addictive, he just hasn't had enough tastes yet) choose to leave he'd have played great footy for us and Darcy and JUH would be ready to get into their careers.

But it's unlikely to happen and that's what I'm discussing here. I am a proponent of Bruce but I don't think he's a better than even chance of getting back to his best form. And contrary to GVGjnr I think that if we have the right person playing the second ruck role we move the ball so much better and look more dangerous.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would love that, I don't think we are talking to him - but you never know.
    The theory you have is interesting, like Freo getting Jackson for the same role. But they have Darcy holding up the first ruck. Getting Lobb wouldn’t be good enough for it to work. We’d need a Grundy or other mature first ruck for it to work. Lobb to me seems to reaffirm Tim is the first ruck, and Lobb is an upgrade chop out ruck than Bruce, Schache or Cordy etc.

Not as inspiring or interesting as your idea.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon everyone would love Grundy and have Tim play the forward ruck role which he could do at an all time elite level - but given you haven't been around you may have missed the chatter about Tim pretty much signing on conditional upon being played as a first ruck.

If it were me I'd just play Tim where I wanted him to play and get Grundy in. Tim might crack the shits but if he wanted a great deal in two years time he'd have to play well anyway, so it would be a win win and by the time he did (if - you know, kicking goals and being awesome is addictive, he just hasn't had enough tastes yet) choose to leave he'd have played great footy for us and Darcy and JUH would be ready to get into their careers.

But it's unlikely to happen and that's what I'm discussing here. I am a proponent of Bruce but I don't think he's a better than even chance of getting back to his best form. And contrary to GVGjnr I think that if we have the right person playing the second ruck role we move the ball so much better and look more dangerous.
    Like when Luke Darcy threaten to walk if we didn’t do something stupid like Peter Street for Pick 20. Good things happen when rucks dictate list management decisions…

I don’t think any first ruck would entertain us, including Grundy. I wouldn’t if I were them. More so to BADs suggestion of moving English around. Lobb as first ruck is not a good idea I wouldn’t have thought. As above, Lobb to seems like a reaffirmation of the status quo.