Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  406

View Poll Results: What do we give up for Lobb?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our first round pick with something in the 2nd round coming back

0 0%
  • Our 2nd round pick will suffice

7 15.22%
  • Our 3rd round pick and nothing more

5 10.87%
  • A creative combination of picks and suitable returns

7 15.22%
  • Our JJ compensation pick

5 10.87%
  • Other option

0 0%
  • I'd rather someone else

7 15.22%
  • We don't need him

15 32.61%
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Lobb

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rory Lobb

My concern with Bruce isn't fitness, he can get that back, it's mobility and his ability to jump.

He couldn't get off the ground this year, not sure I'm banking on that returning.
    W00F!

2. Likes josie, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Like when Luke Darcy threaten to walk if we didn’t do something stupid like Peter Street for Pick 20. Good things happen when rucks dictate list management decisions…

I don’t think any first ruck would entertain us, including Grundy. I wouldn’t if I were them. More so to BADs suggestion of moving English around. Lobb as first ruck is not a good idea I wouldn’t have thought. As above, Lobb to seems like a reaffirmation of the status quo.
    That's the point, we're looking at someone like Lobb purely because we don't need/ want a first ruck according to the footy department and Tim. Tim to the footy department and Tim is all we need, and are likely to have on the list as a first ruck.

Lobb is purely coming to us as a forward/ ruck, but one we probably think can cover up to 40-50% of ruck duties if called upon to do so.

So I agree with you, we're unlikely to entertain getting someone like Grundy and the question then turns to whether we think Lobb and Bruce is a better outcome for a crack next year over Bruce and Darcy or some other available player yet to be identified over Darcy.

To me Lobb makes perfect sense for us right now. Yes, having him for 2022 would have been awesome but we didn't, and that shouldn't mean we ignore the issue anyway.

A bit like Barry Hall. He would have been great for us when everything was going right in 2009 - but that doesn't mean we should have ignored him in 2010. If you can fix a weakness, build a contingency and make your options stronger for success at an affordable price then you should just do it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Is too much being made of this whole English insists on playing as our ruckman? He plays there because he's our best option. I have no issue with him being our ruckman, and he has shown that he can become elite. Admittedly his form has dropped the past two years after missing a chunk of games but that's understandable.

I thought he was crucial for us salvaging the contest against Brisbane last year against Big O in the semi final. Yes, he has been beaten in some important contests but he wasn't alone. There were some big names in the centre square against Melbourne in the GF and Freo this year.

Much is made of what he can't do but we don't really acknowledge what he can do. Not many in the league can spread from the contest like Tim, nor be as damaging around the ground. His second half against Melbourne in Round 19 is an example of what he will begin to do on a more consistent basis going forward.

We've done the hard yards developing him, now is not the time to go cold but rather embrace what he's about to become. There s very few ruckmen I would want ahead of Tim, and I hope he can show everyone that in 2023.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is too much being made of this whole English insists on playing as our ruckman? He plays there because he's our best option. I have no issue with him being our ruckman, and he has shown that he can become elite. Admittedly his form has dropped the past two years after missing a chunk of games but that's understandable.

I thought he was crucial for us salvaging the contest against Brisbane last year against Big O in the semi final. Yes, he has been beaten in some important contests but he wasn't alone. There were some big names in the centre square against Melbourne in the GF and Freo this year.

Much is made of what he can't do but we don't really acknowledge what he can do. Not many in the league can spread from the contest like Tim, nor be as damaging around the ground. His second half against Melbourne in Round 19 is an example of what he will begin to do on a more consistent basis going forward.

We've done the hard yards developing him, now is not the time to go cold but rather embrace what he's about to become. There s very few ruckmen I would want ahead of Tim, and I hope he can show everyone that in 2023.
    You've just booked yourself a session at the Yarraville Nets Swoop!

I actually love Tim as a first ruck sometimes, and want him to succeed. But too often he does get beaten by better stoppage contesting rucks, and the good teams have the rucks who do it to him/ us.

To me he would be the best forward ruck in the competition and it boggles my mind as to why he wouldn't want to be. But I'm a broken record on that....

7. Likes Swoop, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You've just booked yourself a session at the Yarraville Nets Swoop!

I actually love Tim as a first ruck sometimes, and want him to succeed. But too often he does get beaten by better stoppage contesting rucks, and the good teams have the rucks who do it to him/ us.

To me he would be the best forward ruck in the competition and it boggles my mind as to why he wouldn't want to be. But I'm a broken record on that....
    What I like about Tim is not just he can play forward, but his around the ground work, taking marks and even running and bouncing and his field kicking is pretty good. If we can get a mature ruckman that can work with him who can take the stoppage work but can also be effective around the ground, then that would be ideal. You look at Geelong and who is first or second ruck? They are a team and that is the difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Swoop, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's the point, we're looking at someone like Lobb purely because we don't need/ want a first ruck according to the footy department and Tim. Tim to the footy department and Tim is all we need, and are likely to have on the list as a first ruck.

Lobb is purely coming to us as a forward/ ruck, but one we probably think can cover up to 40-50% of ruck duties if called upon to do so.

So I agree with you, we're unlikely to entertain getting someone like Grundy and the question then turns to whether we think Lobb and Bruce is a better outcome for a crack next year over Bruce and Darcy or some other available player yet to be identified over Darcy.

To me Lobb makes perfect sense for us right now. Yes, having him for 2022 would have been awesome but we didn't, and that shouldn't mean we ignore the issue anyway.

A bit like Barry Hall. He would have been great for us when everything was going right in 2009 - but that doesn't mean we should have ignored him in 2010. If you can fix a weakness, build a contingency and make your options stronger for success at an affordable price then you should just do it.
    I’m not completely anti-Lobb for that reason. 36 goals this year, who’s also played a lot of ruck minutes in the AFEL. Like you I’m price sensitive about the potential. I’m not accepting inflation in this discretionary spend.

I do wonder if there’s any dissenting or even merely challenging voices about Tim and only Tim being the answer.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not completely anti-Lobb for that reason. 36 goals this year, who’s also played a lot of ruck minutes in the AFEL. Like you I’m price sensitive about the potential. I’m not accepting inflation in this discretionary spend.

I do wonder if there’s any dissenting or even merely challenging voices about Tim and only Tim being the answer.
    100% there would be and that's not any different to there being dissenting voices about Dunkley, Treloar, Bont and everyone in our side who is a good player but has flaws in their games.

But that would be the same at every club, the only difference with Tim is his management went public with it and it's been all but mentioned by our coach in press conferences. So it means that while what is being said about Tim is probably par for the course, that it seems it's come from his management and our coach makes it much more telling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Good point.
    It’s true you’re exempt from ACAB if I invite you inside my house
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb is obviously a good footballer and would provide that quality chop out whenever English isn't rucking and I agree that getting him at the right price both in salary and draft pick perspective is the key.
    Assuming he arrives at the kennel we will have a bit of a logjam up forward and it will be an interesting challenge for the MC to manage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so Swoop, I don't doubt it was something that was his absolute preference but he would also be very aware that there is a challenge for the club and something has to give. I'm confident he would welcome support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lobb is obviously a good footballer and would provide that quality chop out whenever English isn't rucking and I agree that getting him at the right price both in salary and draft pick perspective is the key.
    Assuming he arrives at the kennel we will have a bit of a logjam up forward and it will be an interesting challenge for the MC to manage.
    And I think at this point we can all agree that we have huge faith in the Match Committee to make the right choices and manage things perfectly well.

Aside from this side of it, while Lobb is theoretically a good fit, I have reservations about a player with historically questionable effort levels being recruited in on what is likely his final decent contract. Prove me wrong Rory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It’s true you’re exempt from ACAB if I invite you inside my house
    Wait am I a vampire now?
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you GVGjr, Bruce is a known quantity and he was always going to take this season just to rebound. A full preseason running with Jack Steele will lay the foundation for a strong and consistent season in 2023.

He doesn't need to be a world beater, he needs to be able to compete with quality opponents and he makes Naughton and Marra better around him.

The question is whether he regains his 2021 form and Marra continues to improve, how does Lobb fit into a functioning forward line?
    His challenges when he returned this year weren't as much physical and it it was more or less his timing of leads and marking attempts.
    I think this can be resolved. if he can get back to somewhere near his 2021 we will be a stronger team.
    He's going to need plenty of work but I think he can regain his form.

Lobb is a very handy player but bringing him in will create a logjam for key forwards and now the MC manages that will be challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Have a look at the way Geelong use their rucks. Maybe we start Tim and Lobb in the centre with Tim playing a Blicavs role.
    Timbo doesn't have Blicavs run. Geelong are very creative with the way they set up and it's often about creating that mismatch in the back line. We don't appear to have that level of flexibility in our set-up.

21. Likes azabob, Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    Timbo doesn't have Blicavs run. Geelong are very creative with the way they set up and it's often about creating that mismatch in the back line. We don't appear to have that level of flexibility in our set-up.
    To be fair, Blicavs is a pretty unique athletic set up and a straight comparison is unfair.

Great to have you back Dogs 24/7.
    "It's over. It's all over."

23. Likes bornadog liked this post