Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  406

View Poll Results: What do we give up for Lobb?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our first round pick with something in the 2nd round coming back

0 0%
  • Our 2nd round pick will suffice

7 15.22%
  • Our 3rd round pick and nothing more

5 10.87%
  • A creative combination of picks and suitable returns

7 15.22%
  • Our JJ compensation pick

5 10.87%
  • Other option

0 0%
  • I'd rather someone else

7 15.22%
  • We don't need him

15 32.61%
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Lobb

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And if he (Bruce) doesn't?

I have absolutely no confidence that Bruce will get back to being a regular contributor for our team.
    Alright, we should go after Grundy then if it's more of a ruck then a forward option. Grundy/English running around sounds pretty good to me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't understand how a forward line of Lobb, Darcy, JUH, and Naughton works. Our current forward line is not working; all forward flying for balls lobbed (pardon the pun) into our forward fifty only to have it spoiled then repelled to the opposition F50 for a scoring shot. We aren't hitting lead-up forwards ... we are just kicking and hoping. Adding Lobb to it will only make it more congested.

People on here are adamant that Naughton can't play back, we need him forward and then in the same breath saying something has to change. If we are going after Lobb, he plays forward and cuts out in the ruck when English needs a break. Then Naughton plays back and shores up our defence. With Liam Jones and Gardner we would have a more agile back line.

I voted no, we don't need him. But it seems as though we will get him
    WOOF Member 422

3. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I just don't understand how a forward line of Lobb, Darcy, JUH, and Naughton works. Our current forward line is not working; all forward flying for balls lobbed (pardon the pun) into our forward fifty only to have it spoiled then repelled to the opposition F50 for a scoring shot. We aren't hitting lead-up forwards ... we are just kicking and hoping. Adding Lobb to it will only make it more congested.

People on here are adamant that Naughton can't play back, we need him forward and then in the same breath saying something has to change. If we are going after Lobb, he plays forward and cuts out in the ruck when English needs a break. Then Naughton plays back and shores up our defence. With Liam Jones and Gardner we would have a more agile back line.

I voted no, we don't need him. But it seems as though we will get him
    I don't disagree but how do we fix our ruck issue?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed. It's Bevo or the Highway has been since 2016 and rightfully so. Problem is if we choose Bevo it's warts and all.

For shits and giggles let's look at Simon Madden's season as a young 25 year old ruckman and Tim English's season as a young 25 year old ruckman.

In 1982 a 25 year old Simon Madden played 21 games, had 142 handpasses and 74 kicks and 230 hit outs.
    In 2022 a 25 year old English played 16 games, had 164 kicks and 125 handpasses along with 379 hit outs.

The year after, as a 26 year old, Madden explodes and for the next two years has a whooping 812 and 699 hits out respectively.

In no way am I suggesting that Tim English's trajectory is mirroring or is on track to eclipse Simon Madden's but the fact remains that Tim is considered immature as a ruck and is about to enter his prime, core years and we still really have no idea just how good he will be AND we're just too heavily invested.

Even Gawn accelerated as a maturing ruck in 2016 after turning 25.

Would hate to cast English aside with his window fast approaching. We don't sign players and then six months later try to fob them off.
    I totally understand the late bloomer argument but when English is older than both Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson and has been completely ineffective in finals despite being older and more experienced than his opponents (I accept Ryder had vastly more experience when he destroyed Tim in the 2020 EF), I simply have grave doubts that he will ever become either a stoppage ruckman of high quality or a tough, hard, nasty and uncompromising stoppage ruck beast.

The last 4 years has not eased my doubts at all, and our last 3 finals losses certainly haven't. Believe me, I so want to be wrong on this. I have desperately wanted English to work as our no 1 ruck. It hasn't thus far, and especially in the heat of September when it really needs to work. And it has already cost us greatly - we are in the window and this area has been brutally exposed in devastating bursts in both of our last 2 finals.

Geelong have had a similar conundrum with Stanley, Esava and Blicavs being used as mobile athletic rucks - they have also not saluted the judges in the last few years of contending, despite having an elite midfield and a better defence than ours. Richmond went from laughing stock to triple premiers when they got Nank. Geelong did likewise when they got Ottens. Melbourne swept the competition when they got Jackson to pair up with Gawn. Hawks got McEvoy who was very important in their 3-peat after falling short a couple of years (as was Lake obviously).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And if he (Bruce) doesn't?

I have absolutely no confidence that Bruce will get back to being a regular contributor for our team.
    Agree, maybe he should not have played, but his exposed comeback form was so far off the pace it looked terminal, careerwise.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Didn't we go with a no dickheads policy a couple of years ago ? For me it is no to Lobb and no to thinking Jones will solve our kpd issues. Imo neither English nor anyone else can call the shots so I am in the get Grundy camp.
    I dont think its fair to suggest Lobb or Jones are dickheads

Lobb has tatts, peroxide hair but hasnt been an off field problem that Im aware of

Jones was a very consistent footballer with Carlton. Hes not the answer by himself, but he might be part of the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a lot of what Sedat has to say about English. My thinking though is he doesn't need to go to R2 to change things up.

At the moment, not only is he a first ruck, he is almost solely playing ruck. I would like to see at least more of a balance. English/Lobb sharing the role at bit more. Might help change things up when the momentum needs arresting.

10. Likes Mofra, Sedat, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're all in on the English as first ruck train. I think he is potentially the best second ruck in the competition but that's not going to happen.

On that basis, I'm a yes to Lobb. I have zero faith in Bruce and Darcy isn't ready.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don't disagree but how do we fix our ruck issue?
    Earlier on this year, English was touted as the number one ruck in the competition ... better than Gawn or Grundy. His tap work was on-point and his work around the ground, particularly at ground level, sublime. He has not shown that form since. I am sick and tired of stop-gap measures like Stefan Martin (and now Lobb). Either our current back-up (in Sweet) is good enough to play regularly or he goes to another club and we bring in a YOUNGER (than Lobb) back-up who is. If he is good enough, he plays every game with English. To me, Darcy plays the role Lobb is purported to play; starting forward and back up ruck. Yes, he is green, but he will learn quickly.

Our holes are in the backline ... running defenders who don't break down every five minutes and someone who can punch the ball and stop the opposition lead-up forwards. I also think we need more adept wingman. Bringing in a fourth forward who can play back up ruck is ridiculous to me.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Earlier on this year, English was touted as the number one ruck in the competition ... better than Gawn or Grundy. His tap work was on-point and his work around the ground, particularly at ground level, sublime. He has not shown that form since. I am sick and tired of stop-gap measures like Stefan Martin (and now Lobb). Either our current back-up (in Sweet) is good enough to play regularly or he goes to another club and we bring in a YOUNGER (than Lobb) back-up who is. If he is good enough, he plays every game with English. To me, Darcy plays the role Lobb is purported to play; starting forward and back up ruck. Yes, he is green, but he will learn quickly.

Our holes are in the backline ... running defenders who don't break down every five minutes and someone who can punch the ball and stop the opposition lead-up forwards. I also think we need more adept wingman. Bringing in a fourth forward who can play back up ruck is ridiculous to me.
    Even if we get Lobb, we should also have another developing ruck on our list
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a bit surprised with the poll results so far because a few weeks back it seemed the vibe of getting him was a lot stronger than it is now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I totally understand the late bloomer argument but when English is older than both Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson and has been completely ineffective in finals despite being older and more experienced than his opponents (I accept Ryder had vastly more experience when he destroyed Tim in the 2020 EF), I simply have grave doubts that he will ever become either a stoppage ruckman of high quality or a tough, hard, nasty and uncompromising stoppage ruck beast.

The last 4 years has not eased my doubts at all, and our last 3 finals losses certainly haven't. Believe me, I so want to be wrong on this. I have desperately wanted English to work as our no 1 ruck. It hasn't thus far, and especially in the heat of September when it really needs to work. And it has already cost us greatly - we are in the window and this area has been brutally exposed in devastating bursts in both of our last 2 finals.

Geelong have had a similar conundrum with Stanley, Esava and Blicavs being used as mobile athletic rucks - they have also not saluted the judges in the last few years of contending, despite having an elite midfield and a better defence than ours. Richmond went from laughing stock to triple premiers when they got Nank. Geelong did likewise when they got Ottens. Melbourne swept the competition when they got Jackson to pair up with Gawn. Hawks got McEvoy who was very important in their 3-peat after falling short a couple of years (as was Lake obviously).
    That's a good argument.

Historically I agree with your position English is not my preferred ruck type, someone like Nank would be perfect for us considering our mids tend to close up when the heat is on. A big aggressive ruckman is exactly what we need but you know as well as I do that Bevo is not going to 180 on English in the ruck.

We've lost a lot of opportunities with English but we've also invested way too much. Bevo is just going to have to sail this ship to port. Also, if one was to single English out for our poor finals showings this would be a tad unfair when other important players have also failed to live up to their end of the bargain. The other positive to English's game, unlike other ruckmen like Darcy and Nank is he kicks goals. He's a 20 goal a year ruckman. Can't be understated.

My strong feeling on the Lobb aquisition is that getting him in to assist is absolutely dealing with this issue as far as Bevo et al. are concerned.

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That's a good argument.

Historically I agree with your position English is not my preferred ruck type, someone like Nank would be perfect for us considering our mids tend to close up when the heat is on. A big aggressive ruckman is exactly what we need but you know as well as I do that Bevo is not going to 180 on English in the ruck.

We've lost a lot of opportunities with English but we've also invested way too much. Bevo is just going to have to sail this ship to port. Also, if one was to single English out for our poor finals showings this would be a tad unfair when other important players have also failed to live up to their end of the bargain. The other positive to English's game, unlike other ruckmen like Darcy and Nank is he kicks goals. He's a 20 goal a year ruckman. Can't be understated.

My strong feeling on the Lobb aquisition is that getting him in to assist is absolutely dealing with this issue as far as Bevo et al. are concerned.
    At least it's a better solution than throwing first year Darcy in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just a bit surprised with the poll results so far because a few weeks back it seemed the vibe of getting him was a lot stronger than it is now.
    We don't need him.

Can't believe we aren't going all out for defenders and crumbing forwards, and probably defense minded mids.

I'm actually sick of hearing about Lobb.

I'm also amazed he can kick so well off such a short run must be powerful.

How do we think the Lobb link started? Are we actively chasing guys like him or was he shopped and we bit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Darcy took 3 marks against Box Hill and everyone thought our problems in this area were solved.

We need another Ruck and one that can take a mark and maybe kick a goal. Lobb does that in spades. The same people arguing against are probably the same people saying Martin: Too old, Sweet: doesn't do enough, Cordy: Bevo's lost it, Buku, Hannan, who else have we desperately tried? This is the player we've been crying out for all season and now we make a play for him so many are saying no thanks? English needs help, we can split is minutes to around 70 - 30 with Lobb instead of 95 - 5. Surely that's got to be good for him as well?

22. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post