Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  151
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Senior Assistant Coach to help Bevo - Who?

I'm a bit confused by the above Varcoe discussion - I can't see anything about Varcoe coaching, that is a playing announcement.

I don't see any reason why he can't play local footy when his Bulldogs commitments don't interfere. I know Jarryd Roughead did the same whilst coaching at St Kilda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the above Varcoe discussion - I can't see anything about Varcoe coaching, that is a playing announcement.

I don't see any reason why he can't play local footy when his Bulldogs commitments don't interfere. I know Jarryd Roughead did the same whilst coaching at St Kilda.
    I think we all assumed he was coaching not playing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

I'm glad he is staying and playing a bit of local footy will still work.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes F'scary, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/...oaching-ranks/

Stefan Martin will stay on at the Western Bulldogs in 2023 after retiring last month, with a job as a development coach keeping him at Whitten Oval.

Martin called time on his 203-game career after playing just four games in 2022 as injuries hampered his two years at The Kennel.

While he failed to make a big impact on-field for this third club, Martin clearly helped off it as he revealed senior coach Luke Beveridge offered him a role at his end-of-season exit meeting.

“We had the sort of end-of-season review with Bevo,” Martin explained on SEN Mornings.

“We discussed my playing future and decided I wouldn’t go on.

“But he earmarked that I was welcome to join the coaching ranks in this capacity if I wanted to.

“So, it was at the end-of-season review after our getting bailed out of finals.”

Having spent five years at Melbourne and eight successful years at Brisbane, Martin was annoyed that he couldn’t recapture his best football at the Bulldogs but is glad he can keep making an impact at the club.

“I went there with high hopes that I could recapture my best footy,” Martin said.

“I felt very grateful to get the opportunity by the Dogs.

“I feel I didn’t quite do what I set out to do, which was largely because of the body which sucked.

“But it is what it is, I had a good time there and luckily, I can keep working with those guys that I came to have an impact on.”

Martin says a big part of his development role will be working with the club’s talls, a crop he considers “the best in the league”.

“It (working with the talls) is a big part of it, I’ll be doing a bit of general development stuff but with a focus on the big guys,” Martin said.

“Then there’s a VFL coaching role too when that season gets up and running.

“It’s enormous, in my position to have him (Sam Darcy), Tim English and now Rory Lobb, the quality of super tall guys that we’ve got on our list, I reckon it’s got to be the best in the league.

“Particularly with Sam, I think the sky is the limit, he’s so coachable, he’s so keen to improve and he’s so talented.

“He’ll do everything it takes to make it, it’s just a matter of working out where he fits on the ground.”

Martin will work closely with midfield coach Brendon Lade who is also a new coaching addition at the Bulldogs for 2023.

6. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog Revolution, josie thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dare I say it - the hype coming from the club about Sam Darcy is hitting Bontempelli levels.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Dare I say it - the hype coming from the club about Sam Darcy is hitting Bontempelli levels.
    Possibly exceeding at the same time of Bonts development.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving the Darcy hype because it's real.

I still don't see him as a defender though, I thought he was excellent in the ruck at VFL level, he looks to have a lot more upside in his craft than English and his talent forward of the ball is unquestionable. Exciting times ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad Grant levels almost!

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm loving the Darcy hype because it's real.

I still don't see him as a defender though, I thought he was excellent in the ruck at VFL level, he looks to have a lot more upside in his craft than English and his talent forward of the ball is unquestionable. Exciting times ahead.
    I remember Matty Boyd during a pre-season describing Bont as the most talented kid he'd every seen

I couldn't believe it - we'd just taken Macrae & Stringer the year before and Bontempelli was considered a "reach".
    Coaches and players seem to consider Darcy in a similar light.
    It's a pretty exciting time

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He does not get outmarked and that is a starting point.
    I am anxious about his giraffe legs like Luke's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/...oaching-ranks/

Stefan Martin will stay on at the Western Bulldogs in 2023 after retiring last month, with a job as a development coach keeping him at Whitten Oval.

Martin called time on his 203-game career after playing just four games in 2022 as injuries hampered his two years at The Kennel.

While he failed to make a big impact on-field for this third club, Martin clearly helped off it as he revealed senior coach Luke Beveridge offered him a role at his end-of-season exit meeting.

“We had the sort of end-of-season review with Bevo,” Martin explained on SEN Mornings.

“We discussed my playing future and decided I wouldn’t go on.

“But he earmarked that I was welcome to join the coaching ranks in this capacity if I wanted to.

“So, it was at the end-of-season review after our getting bailed out of finals.”

Having spent five years at Melbourne and eight successful years at Brisbane, Martin was annoyed that he couldn’t recapture his best football at the Bulldogs but is glad he can keep making an impact at the club.

“I went there with high hopes that I could recapture my best footy,” Martin said.

“I felt very grateful to get the opportunity by the Dogs.

“I feel I didn’t quite do what I set out to do, which was largely because of the body which sucked.

“But it is what it is, I had a good time there and luckily, I can keep working with those guys that I came to have an impact on.”

Martin says a big part of his development role will be working with the club’s talls, a crop he considers “the best in the league”.

“It (working with the talls) is a big part of it, I’ll be doing a bit of general development stuff but with a focus on the big guys,” Martin said.

“Then there’s a VFL coaching role too when that season gets up and running.

“It’s enormous, in my position to have him (Sam Darcy), Tim English and now Rory Lobb, the quality of super tall guys that we’ve got on our list, I reckon it’s got to be the best in the league.

“Particularly with Sam, I think the sky is the limit, he’s so coachable, he’s so keen to improve and he’s so talented.

“He’ll do everything it takes to make it, it’s just a matter of working out where he fits on the ground.”

Martin will work closely with midfield coach Brendon Lade who is also a new coaching addition at the Bulldogs for 2023.
    If he can make Lobb a threat when in the middle, such a move would pay-off big time.

Need to change Lobb's mindset when he has to ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    If he can make Lobb a threat when in the middle, such a move would pay-off big time.

Need to change Lobb's mindset when he has to ruck.
    Rory Lobb will be 30 before round 1 next year. We're not changing him much

Post Thanks / Like

Rory Lobb will be 30 before round 1 next year. We're not changing him much
    Libba senior changed his game under Plough. Why not Lobb?