Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  151
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Senior Assistant Coach to help Bevo - Who?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How would our club or any club react to Dani Laidley taking up a role?

Dani was an excellent coach in her own right, though whether she'd be ready to step into anything within clubland again is anyone's guess and she's possibly had too many years out of the game. However, if anyone understands pressure and how not to deal with it, but also fight it off and deal with it to come out the other side it would be her.
    My suspicion is mixed at best.

Even in a role that's not directly coaching (as you've said she's been out of the game for ages) I think there are too many neanderthal brained people involved in footy clubs for it to not be divisive.

I hope I'm wrong but at the same time have you heard of any AFL players even willing to come out as gay? I don't think we see trans people in the game before gay people (unless I'm wrong and this has happened already?)

That's not to say she wouldn't be an asset to a club in the right role. This is just my guess at the how individuals inside every club would react.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    My suspicion is mixed at best.

Even in a role that's not directly coaching (as you've said she's been out of the game for ages) I think there are too many neanderthal brained people involved in footy clubs for it to not be divisive.

I hope I'm wrong but at the same time have you heard of any AFL players even willing to come out as gay? I don't think we see trans people in the game before gay people (unless I'm wrong and this has happened already?)

That's not to say she wouldn't be an asset to a club in the right role. This is just my guess at the how individuals inside every club would react.
    I'll be honest that while my post wasn't a stunt post it was designed to sense temperature around here, because by and large this place is pretty pragmatic.

That we could have a premiership player and long time coach transition genders without having a player come out as LGBTQ over the journey is pretty full on. Even surprising.

As for a future role for Dani, it would be the periphery more so than the industry itself that would struggle I think. Kids these days are so much more exposed to alternatives to traditional norms and accepting of them, and really don't give a shit compared to what they were ten to twenty years ago.

The players would just get on with it I reckon, especially if club leaders did.

As a coach Laidley was exceptionally good with a shit group of players over the journey for the most part. Surely there's a role for her if she wanted it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes hujsh, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest that while my post wasn't a stunt post it was designed to sense temperature around here, because by and large this place is pretty pragmatic.

That we could have a premiership player and long time coach transition genders without having a player come out as LGBTQ over the journey is pretty full on. Even surprising.

As for a future role for Dani, it would be the periphery more so than the industry itself that would struggle I think. Kids these days are so much more exposed to alternatives to traditional norms and accepting of them, and really don't give a shit compared to what they were ten to twenty years ago.

As a coach Laidley was exceptionally good with a shit group of players over the journey for the most part. Surely there's a role for her if she wanted it.
    I know it's probably different because it appears the players were Pacific Islanders and there's a conservative religious culture much less accepting of LGBTQ people in those communities but there were NRL players boycotting a match over a pride jersey. I think you would find a few players, probably from the country, might look to change clubs. If that came to pass I'd say good riddance but it's something clubs would probably take into account before bringing her or any highish profile trans people into the club.

What might be different is that there'd be a face to the issue if a player took a hard stance. It's easy to get upset at a jersey and call it virtue signaling (which technically yes it is but that doesn't make it bad) but harder to look someone in the eye and say "nah I can't be around you because you're living life wrong"

I might be convincing myself it's more possible than I initially thought as I write this all out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I know it's probably different because it appears the players were Pacific Islanders and there's a conservative religious culture much less accepting of LGBTQ people in those communities but there were NRL players boycotting a match over a pride jersey. I think you would find a few players, probably from the country, might look to change clubs. If that came to pass I'd say good riddance but it's something clubs would probably take into account before bringing her or any highish profile trans people into the club.

What might be different is that there'd be a face to the issue if a player took a hard stance. It's easy to get upset at a jersey and call it virtue signaling (which technically yes it is but that doesn't make it bad) but harder to look someone in the eye and say "nah I can't be around you because you're living life wrong"

I might be convincing myself it's more possible than I initially thought as I write this all out.
    Interesting, because the more you've written the more I think it's possible.

We don't have the same demographics in our game and to be honest the players from the sticks probably wouldn't give a shit any more than those who are local to cities/ where the clubs are based.

If anything I would think the players coming through are sick of the old school mentality that is pervasive within the media, whether it comes down to a complete lack of understanding of what happens in their lives at club land, away from club land and generally with what happens day to day in the game. Speak to any of them (which I rarely do, but have) and they all think the older generation within the commentariat is completely cooked and full of shit. They just have to mollycoddle them because you know, legacy etc.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be fine with it.

Good coach, couldn't care less how she wants to live her life.

Be a bloody amazing story!

Caveat would be she's healthy enough to do it as clearly she's had some struggles that can't be ignored.

Trust woof to raise this brilliant discussion.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 27-09-2022 at 07:59 AM.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has there been any news on if Rohan Smith is sticking with us?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lade will be a nice get for us providing Bevo embraces his stronger voice. From what I understand is that he isn't afraid to challenge the stronger personalities within a playing group if they aren't fully on board.

13. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the BnF on tomorrow night, is it possible Smith/club might use the occasion to advise his leaving the club so he can be acknowledged by the attending supporters for his service?
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    With the BnF on tomorrow night, is it possible Smith/club might use the occasion to advise his leaving the club so he can be acknowledged by the attending supporters for his service?
    Maybe Smads, they do like to sneak in an announcement or two that catches people by surprise.

16. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Lade will be a nice get for us providing Bevo embraces his stronger voice. From what I understand is that he isn't afraid to challenge the stronger personalities within a playing group if they aren't fully on board.
    Why would Bevo NOT embrace it? What's there to suggest he isn't the one actually driving the decision to get a senior assistant? Or that he hasn't been up to his eyes in the recruitment of Lade?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Why would Bevo NOT embrace it? What's there to suggest he isn't the one actually driving the decision to get a senior assistant? Or that he hasn't been up to his eyes in the recruitment of Lade?
    Agreed, Bevo wants to win and he will obviously listen to good suggestions.

19. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'd be fine with it.

Good coach, couldn't care less how she wants to live her life.

Be a bloody amazing story!

Caveat would be she's healthy enough to do it as clearly she's had some struggles that can't be ignored.

Trust woof to raise this brilliant discussion.
    It’s a good point, it wasn’t long ago Laidley was struggling with addiction and resorting to some pretty shameful behaviour towards others.

I’ve read some of her book and that period when the photos were taken were obviously her absolute low point and was tied to transitioning and acceptance which she now seems to have worked her way through, so she may now find herself in a place to put herself through the mental stressors of professional footy. She would have to be very honest with herself that she’s up for it, as would any club considering it and rightfully so. But yeah, would be a pretty amazing story. ESPN 30 for 30 type stuff.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Brendan Lade in is a massive coup and a seriously good get by the club. Glad we were so proactive in this space.

23. Likes Swoop, EasternWest, chef, bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'd 100% support this. Dani has mentioned she'd like to get back into football again. Incredible football brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Lade lands at Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs are delighted to announce that Brendon Lade will join the club as an assistant coach from 2023.

Lade has significant playing and coaching experience in the AFL and will take charge of the Bulldogs’ midfield brigade, where he will also work closely with Marc Webb, who will focus his attention on stoppages and opposition strategy, along with other key coaching program responsibilities.

A former Port Adelaide best and fairest and two-time All Australian, Lade played 234 games for the Power, winning a premiership in 2004.

The 46-year-old began his coaching journey in 2010 immediately following his retirement, joining Richmond as an assistant coach alongside former teammate Damien Hardwick.

After seven seasons at the Tigers, Lade returned to Port Adelaide for a further two seasons, taking the reigns as an assistant coach at Alberton.

In 2019, Lade was appointed as a Senior Assistant at the St Kilda Football Club, relocating his family back to Melbourne and coaching the forward and midfield lines across two seasons.

During 2022, Lade temporarily stepped into the senior coaching chair with Brett Ratten missing due to COVID, leading the Saints to a win over Gold Coast in Round 5.

Bulldogs Director of Football Chris Grant said Lade will be a fantastic addition to the Club’s coaching department.

“Brendon is a highly respected, experienced coach and person, having been involved in successful teams throughout his time in the industry as a player and now coach over the past 12 years,” Grant said.

“His extensive coaching and playing background will be invaluable for our players, whilst also bolstering our already highly-skilled coaching panel.

"We're very pleased to be adding additional and experienced resourcing to our existing coaching panel, which will only enhance the Club’s ability to continue to develop and educate our player group for next year and beyond.

“We’re excited to have Brendon on board and welcome him and his family to the Western Bulldogs.”

Lade said he was pleased to land at VU Whitten Oval and couldn’t wait to start with the Bulldogs.

“The Western Bulldogs continues to be a really successful club and I’m excited by this fresh opportunity,” Lade said.

“I’ve been extremely lucky to work at some amazing football clubs and hope my experience helps assist the great environment that Luke and the coaching group have created at the club.”

“I’m joining the Club at a very exciting time and I’m looking forward to meeting all the staff and players over the coming weeks.”

26. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post