Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  151
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Senior Assistant Coach to help Bevo - Who?

Good. Lade was a pretty good player with a long career. He can give our players the low down on their individual performances as an equal. I always have that problem with coaches who have not had real AFL careers. Sorry. Bevo is a great coach in part because he eaked out a 130+ game career spread equally over three clubs.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Good. Lade was a pretty good player with a long career. He can give our players the low down on their individual performances as an equal. I always have that problem with coaches who have not had real AFL careers. Sorry. Bevo is a great coach in part because he eaked out a 130+ game career spread equally over three clubs.
    Huh? What about Clarkson? 93 games as a player.

What about Hird - gun player, rubbish coach
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Left field - would be happy to have Joel Selwood involved in the club if he is looking to coach.
    Ok, if we had more experienced coaches. But at this stage we need one more experienced backline coach
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Left field - would be happy to have Joel Selwood involved in the club if he is looking to coach.
    Yes, 100%.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ok, if we had more experienced coaches. But at this stage we need one more experienced backline coach
    One of the most experienced backline coaches is sitting unemployed at the moment, we should be all over M. Scarlett like white on rice, he basically built the Geelong defense to what it is right now, even thanked by Scott and co during the GF acceptance speeches.

No brainer pick up for me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

7. Likes Dry Rot, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    One of the most experienced backline coaches is sitting unemployed at the moment, we should be all over M. Scarlett like white on rice, he basically built the Geelong defense to what it is right now, even thanked by Scott and co during the GF acceptance speeches.

No brainer pick up for me.
    I've always had an issue with someone who openly hates people unless he knows them, which is the attitude Scarlett reputedly has.

But it may be that he's not a *!*!*!*!wit anymore, however, not sure he'll want to come to us after what happened with BMac....?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Huh? What about Clarkson? 93 games as a player.

What about Hird - gun player, rubbish coach
    Clarkson, 93 game career, your example supports my point, mate, he fits in with what I said.

re Hird, I didn't say that experience playing at AFL senior level makes a good coach, just that I prefer coaches with that experience for our team. But they have to be good too.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarkson, 93 game career, your example supports my point, mate, he fits in with what I said.

re Hird, I didn't say that experience playing at AFL senior level makes a good coach, just that I prefer coaches with that experience for our team. But they have to be good too.
    What do you mean by real AFL careers? That is confusing me and then referencing Bevo only having eeked out 130 games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by real AFL careers? That is confusing me and then referencing Bevo only having eeked out 130 games.
    yeah I dont get it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How would our club or any club react to Dani Laidley taking up a role?

Dani was an excellent coach in her own right, though whether she'd be ready to step into anything within clubland again is anyone's guess and she's possibly had too many years out of the game. However, if anyone understands pressure and how not to deal with it, but also fight it off and deal with it to come out the other side it would be her.

Depending on how she feels about it and where her head is at after her substance abuse problem (I saw the TV special a couple of Sunday nights ago and it looked like all was as good as could be expected on those fronts) I'd be all for getting her involved in a role at the club.

I can see it as a win/win. The club gets a good, experienced footy brain and Dani gets to do something she's good at.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Played senior footy in the AFL. Both Clarkson and Beveridge had substantial careers. In Bevo's case, he was not a star but managed to keep slotting in a a new club every few years and getting games.

Post Thanks / Like

Played senior footy in the AFL. Both Clarkson and Beveridge had substantial careers. In Bevo's case, he was not a star but managed to keep slotting in a a new club every few years and getting games.
    So who do you have a problem with? Bmac? I can't think of any coaches without AFL experience aside from him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So who do you have a problem with? Bmac? I can't think of any coaches without AFL experience aside from him
    Chris Fagan.

17. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think there is at least one or two others in the last 10 years as senior coaches. But senior assistant coaches? I don't know but I prefer them to have AFL playing experience too. I feel it helps them to really understand the players' situation and it helps the players to relate to and accept the coach. With other less senior coaches, I'm not fussed.

19. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is at least one or two others in the last 10 years as senior coaches. But senior assistant coaches? I don't know but I prefer them to have AFL playing experience too. I feel it helps them to really understand the players' situation and it helps the players to relate to and accept the coach. With other less senior coaches, I'm not fussed.
    Fair enough. The idea that the coach have experience playing at the same level of the game as the players is not exactly revolutionary and is so common I don't know if there's much evidence either way to refute or confirm the idea. Maybe in other sports.