Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  151
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Senior Assistant Coach to help Bevo - Who?

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Interesting that Caro on FC said that Essendon have had a crack at Bevo.
    Yep this was around last week and was a monster deal by all accounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Cameron confirmed as Swans academy coach
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Cameron confirmed as Swans academy coach
    That Bummers job has a rotten stench about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That Bummers job has a rotten stench about it.
    Probably just Stringer visiting the lockers.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'd love Matty Boyd back in a coaching role.
    Two of the best, Matthew Boyd and Joel Corey are now both with Fremantle.
    Corey was highly regarded by Bont during his time at the WB, who along with Dale Morris were cut due to salary cuts.
    Boyd and Morris were outstanding in our 2016 flag and both highly regarded as is Corey a Premiership player at Geelong.

6. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Backline coach - ideally Luke Hodge or a similar "organiser".

Left field coaching idea - Shane Edwards. Very good football brain, I don't know how his communication skills are though
    From the interviews I’ve seen, Edwards is a great communicator. Understated and intelligent.

8. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot has been made of our need to attract experience and I agree that we need to replace the loss of Hansen and King. If we did attract an experienced coach, where would you hope they took over? Backs, mids or forwards?

While our team lacks senior experience, I would argue that we also lack recently retired players with fresh ideas. These coaches can often have a good feel for the modern game, connect with players and provide new innovative ideas. There are a number of quality candidates that could be welcome additions to our team. Names such as Roughead, Mundy, Higgins, Shiels, Edwards, Geary and the Kennedys would all be possible targets.

The only other factor worth is considering is the fact that our staff have taken cuts and performed multiple roles due to covid. There may be an expectation amongst the group that their wages and reinstated before recruiting another high profile coach. I'm sure it's possible we can do both but some of those funds may be allocated to this area.

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    A lot has been made of our need to attract experience and I agree that we need to replace the loss of Hansen and King. If we did attract an experienced coach, where would you hope they took over? Backs, mids or forwards?

While our team lacks senior experience, I would argue that we also lack recently retired players with fresh ideas. These coaches can often have a good feel for the modern game, connect with players and provide new innovative ideas. There are a number of quality candidates that could be welcome additions to our team. Names such as Roughead, Mundy, Higgins, Shiels, Edwards, Geary and the Kennedys would all be possible targets.

The only other factor worth is considering is the fact that our staff have taken cuts and performed multiple roles due to covid. There may be an expectation amongst the group that their wages and reinstated before recruiting another high profile coach. I'm sure it's possible we can do both but some of those funds may be allocated to this area.
    Smith and Webb are experienced coaches but Spangher was a first time appointment.
    Most other teams have a stoppages coach which is an area that Webb has to look after at the moment as part of his midfield duties.
    I think that this an area that we should look to invest in.

I wouldn't rule out a recently retired player as you suggest but it would ideally be one that has been working towards becoming an assistant coach along the way.

It's interesting that Marc Webb's wife is an assistant coach at our AFLW side, plenty of footy conversations at that house.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Swoop, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring back Matty Boyd.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bring back Matty Boyd.
    He'd be a great fit for us. I suspect we will be adding two coaches so you never know if he might be a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He'd be a great fit for us. I suspect we will be adding two coaches so you never know if he might be a chance.
    I doubt it - Id imagine hes just getting started with Freo and his family are probably getting into the rhythm of it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I doubt it - Id imagine hes just getting started with Freo and his family are probably getting into the rhythm of it
    Granted it's a long shot but he might think if there are spots with us now the timing might be right before the family becomes too entrenched in Perth.
    From a Melbourne base he has more clubs he could move to as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I’d like to see an experienced forward line coach and more than anything an ex senior coach (good one) to develop the younger players and act as a tactical game day coach.

I’m not 100% certain, but I think every team that’s won it since 16’ has had an experienced assistant coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post

Not sure our present coaches would still be on pay cuts considering very few if any would command top dollar. Isn't part of the problem that a lot of the soft cap was going to Bevo. If you are looking at other clubs who all fall under the same soft cap in their football departments they don't seem to have issues fitting in their coaches who are experienced. Maybe something needs to give to gain something we need.

Post Thanks / Like

Giants have let go Stevie Johnson and Amon Buchanan. Surely we look at Stevie as a forward coach?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.