Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  151
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Senior Assistant Coach to help Bevo - Who?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Sam Edmund reporting this morning on SEN. That the dogs will announce a senior assistant to Bevo in the coming weeks.
    It’s a positive development. From all reports, Geelong maxed out and paid the tax to have more coaches this year. In hindsight, we should have done the same.

It’s all well and good to have a clean balance sheet, but not at the cost of on field performance. I would rather make $0 profit a year if it means we’re spending money in the right areas to make us better on field (i.e more and better coaches, better strength and conditioning, more talent ID staff, more development staff).

Spruiking off field profits while you languish on field seems pretty laughable for a professional sporting club. If making money was the goal, Essendon would be respected.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund reporting this morning on SEN. That the dogs will announce a senior assistant to Bevo in the coming weeks.
    I think Rohan Smith had that role this year so is it an indication he is moving on or just someone being put into the role?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think Rohan Smith had that role this year so is it an indication he is moving on or just someone being put into the role?
    Spangher is experienced now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It’s a positive development. From all reports, Geelong maxed out and paid the tax to have more coaches this year. In hindsight, we should have done the same.

It’s all well and good to have a clean balance sheet, but not at the cost of on field performance. I would rather make $0 profit a year if it means we’re spending money in the right areas to make us better on field (i.e more and better coaches, better strength and conditioning, more talent ID staff, more development staff).

Spruiking off field profits while you languish on field seems pretty laughable for a professional sporting club. If making money was the goal, Essendon would be respected.
    Losing two experienced coaches was one too many to go into a season with a reduced structure.
    You would hope the additional 500K nets us at least 2 additional footy people and probably someone in the fitness team.
    I'd imagine the recruiting team is under resourced as well plus how many people took pay cuts?
    The additional 500K won't go that far.

Post Thanks / Like

That'd be a very positive move. Can't wait to hear who. I'm personally hoping they're experienced and from a recently successful system. (Rich, Syd, Geel... would've said Hawks but not sure now!)

Post Thanks / Like

Losing two experienced coaches was one too many to go into a season with a reduced structure.
    You would hope the additional 500K nets us at least 2 additional footy people and probably someone in the fitness team.
    I'd imagine the recruiting team is under resourced as well plus how many people took pay cuts?
    The additional 500K won't go that far.
    Losing, or letting go?

We didn't need to let Hansen go. Being nice is great, but at the detriment of the entire team is insane.

Who has that say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Losing, or letting go?

We didn't need to let Hansen go. Being nice is great, but at the detriment of the entire team is insane.

Who has that say?
    King moving was probably good thing and I guess we did the right thing by Hansen but probably misread the coaching market and struggled to replace him.

Post Thanks / Like

King moving was probably good thing and I guess we did the right thing by Hansen but probably misread the coaching market and struggled to replace him.
    With the soft cap and coming off that sort of season it was a big mistake letting an opponent poach him.

Post Thanks / Like

Who could we possibly attract? We need to get someone with at least 5 years experience at one of the stronger clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That'd be a very positive move. Can't wait to hear who. I'm personally hoping they're experienced and from a recently successful system. (Rich, Syd, Geel... would've said Hawks but not sure now!)
    When we asked Leon to come to us, Grant did mention we were looking for a senior assistant, so this move is no surprise.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When we asked Leon to come to us, Grant did mention we were looking for a senior assistant, so this move is no surprise.
    Did we ask Leon to come too us as an assistant coach or did we have something else in mind?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Matty Boyd ready?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Is Matty Boyd ready?
    I wouldn't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we ask Leon to come too us as an assistant coach or did we have something else in mind?
    I don't know what you are alluding too.

Reports in August

According to SEN's Sam Edmund, the Bulldogs, a club where Cameron played 172 games, have opened "informal discussions" with their 1993 best and fairest winner.

Edmund revealed Cameron's close relationship with football boss Chris Grant could play a part in the former Giants coach's reunion at Whitten Oval.

“The Western Bulldogs have had informal discussions with Leon Cameron about a role at the Kennel next year,” Edmund said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't know what you are alluding too.

Reports in August
    Nothing sinister, I was thinking more around Maple's departure.

The comment you have quoted isn't specific to the role we talked to him about.