Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What does an aggressive trade period look like to you?

Over the last couple of years I have been of the belief that we only needed to tweak our playing list; get a back up ruck or maybe one key defender. I have always believed in the romance of footy; the father/sons should be kept as well as our only Norm Smith medallist. After our last two seasons and the peripheral players we have, I am no longer of this opinion. I feel we need to be aggressive this trade period or shut the window and be happy with the 2016 GF win. The time is now !!

So this is what I would consider ...
    JJ out - (GC apparently) - second round pick for him
    Hunter out - TWWCG (take what we can get)
    Martin - Delisted
    Crozier - TWWCG/Delisted
    Cordy - TWWCG
    Bruce - TWWCG
    Vandermeer - Actively shopped around
    Keath - Actively shopped around
    Dunkley - Seems he is set to leave for a first round pick from Port (although I'd prefer he stay)
    McComb - just because

And one of Weightman or Khamis ... both would state their cases on why they should be kept but if I'm being aggressive ...

I would use the picks and 'cap space' we get to GO HARD and aggressively make a play for ...
    1. Brody Grundy (he would be my first choice in any scenario) - Collingwood (ruck)
    2. Sam Taylor - GWS (key defender)
    3. Harris Andrews - Brisbane (key defender)
    4. Ben McKay - North Melbourne (key defender)
    5. Jarrod Witts - Gold Coast (ruck)

So ... these are my musings; what would you do?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does an aggressive trade period look like to you?

Is that aggressive enough to be called aggresive?

I’d say it’d be more like:

EG: We want Grundy, Barass, Jnr Rioli, Lobb.

We give up our first rounder, Dunkley, next year’s first, and prob 1 or 2 other best 22. Give quality to get quality. EG: Caleb or Dale. Weightman as you say. Moving on fridge players wouldn’t be aggressive. I’m not suggesting we do get rid of best 22 players, but… if we don’t give up quality we won’t get it. And if we want to fill list needs with quality replacements, it’s gonna hurt and also, be a bit of a gamble. Chips in.

We won’t do that. We’ll get Lobb and Jones. Get picks for Dunks and JJ and draft. And… well… hope.

Post Thanks / Like

The tide sure has turned on Weightman quickly. One of the top scoring general forwards in the game, has the best accuracy of any non key forward with more than 35 goals (Mitch Lewis and just barely Lynch beat him out) , is our most accurate and second most prolific goal scorer this year, 2nd for average pressure acts among our forwards (I know it's a meme but what else to do have to quantify forward half pressure), 4th for average tackles inside 50 and 4th in the team for average ground ball gets inside 50 (I dunno how else to quantify crumbing).

So what's the pitch there? Sell the only natural non-tall forward we have and just play McNeil more or something? He goes for marks and that can be annoying sometimes when he makes the wrong call but is that such a crime that we don't want to play with him anymore? Far as we know he's encouraged to do that anyway.

TLDR; Leave him alone. I like him.

4. Thanks chef, Boots thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog, Mofra, Axe Man, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weightman dislocated his damn elbow in game and played the rest of the season through it (hurting it at least one other time). That’s a big deal!

If he got surgery on it (like I assume he’s gonna do this off season) and missed the time he gutted out then we’re probably all glowing over him. Trading him is insane.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The tide sure has turned on Weightman quickly. One of the top scoring general forwards in the game, has the best accuracy of any non key forward with more than 35 goals (Mitch Lewis and just barely Lynch beat him out) , is our most accurate and second most prolific goal scorer this year, 2nd for average pressure acts among our forwards (I know it's a meme but what else to do have to quantify forward half pressure), 4th for average tackles inside 50 and 4th in the team for average ground ball gets inside 50 (I dunno how else to quantify crumbing).

So what's the pitch there? Sell the only natural non-tall forward we have and just play McNeil more or something? He goes for marks and that can be annoying sometimes when he makes the wrong call but is that such a crime that we don't want to play with him anymore? Far as we know he's encouraged to do that anyway.

Well said hujsh, I honestly don't get the bagging of him. Sure he has weaknesses, don't all players. He is a proven goal kicker.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, jeemak, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    So this is what I would consider ...
    Martin - Delisted
    Crozier - TWWCG/Delisted
    Cordy - TWWCG
    Bruce - TWWCG
    Dunkley - Seems he is set to leave for a first round pick from Port (although I'd prefer he stay)
    McComb - just because

And one of Weightman or Khamis ... both would state their cases on why they should be kept but if I'm being aggressive ...
    this would cost the club a fortune as there are contracts in place for Crozier, Hunter, Bruce, VDM, Keath and McComb

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We shouldn't need to be aggressive and when that happens it's typically because the previous plan or the execution of that plan was flawed to begin with and now it needs a more assertive response.

The 4 P's apply

We need to be professional this year and not hold a lot on sentiment in our decision making. I'll go through the players in the opening post.

Johannisen to GC makes a bit of sense and it would be a nice reward for him to get a 3 year deal.
    We would probably get a 2nd or 3rd round compensation pick for him as well which looks like a win win.

Hunter has been a very good player for us and a popular team mate for so many. He has two more years on a contract but if he wants to go then if we were to get a 3rd rounder for him I'd do it because it would free up a lot of money.

Martin will retire.

Crozier is very much like Hunter, he was a solid player for us and we struck an overly generous contract and I'd be happy with a swap of picks if he could find another club. We should be proactive in helping him find another home.

Cordy has done pretty well but is limited. If we have offered him another contract then that isn't then end of the world but he is very much a back-up option.

Bruce will be fine and I'm confident he will get back into reasonable form but probably shouldn't be an automatic selection.

Vandermeer needs some more time. He's worth keeping but should not be regarded as one of Bevo's shiny toys for next season.

Keath is a keeper if he doesn't retire.

Dunkley if he goes should net us a 1st and 3rd rounder or something creative in terms of a pick swap.
    I want to keep him but we will know soon enough.

We could package up a few 3rd rounders and have a talk to the Lions to see what we can do to help them land Ashcroft and Fletcher we might be able to turn that into a later first rounder.

Other players to consider

Schache is a player I really don't want to lose because he might even be at a stage where his best football is in front of him.
    Losing a talented player like Schache and keeping Cordy is a bit hard to fathom from my perspective.

West is another player we should do our best to keep. His best football is clearly in front of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks Sedat, Scorlibo thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Twodogs, jeemak, Bulldog Revolution, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Don't get me wrong, he is close to my favourite player. I love what he does in and around the goals and he is stupidly courageous but am I willing to sell the farm to get my hands on the Cup one/two more times ... absolutely
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

What I think…

We will get Lobb, and Jones
    Take our first rounders to the draft
    And do squat all else unfortunately.

Webb and Spangher will also probably keep their places.

I honestly don’t think we have the balls to make the decisions required.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

14. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    What I think…

We will get Lobb, and Jones
    Take our first rounders to the draft
    And do squat all else unfortunately.

Webb and Spangher will also probably keep their places.

I honestly don’t think we have the balls to make the decisions required.

This is my biggest fear ... we are accepting mediocrity and hoping all others fall around us. Our window is open (just) we need to grab it with both hands; make it a dynasty not a flash in the pan
    WOOF Member 422

16. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Existing contracts: I don't think we could afford the cap impacts and cashflow issues stemming from breaking them. That's being too aggressive.

On the other hand, there are so many list cloggers on our roster, I can't believe it when I look. McComb, McNeil, Hannan, Scott, Vandermeer. What happened there? Then there are the guys we have carried into the geriatric stage due to overly generous contracts: Crozier, Keath, Bruce.

So, it looks to me that next year is going to be the year of the purgative. 8 to 10 delisted/retired. The fact that it will be so many after this year's anticipated 6-8 player cull or loss, says that our list management has been poor.

Much of our recruitment is kind of like Hayes had a McComb-over.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

18. Likes josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Existing contracts: I don't think we could afford the cap impacts and cashflow issues stemming from breaking them. That's being too aggressive.

On the other hand, there are so many list cloggers on our roster, I can't believe it when I look. McComb, McNeil, Hannan, Scott, Vandermeer. What happened there? Then there are the guys we have carried into the geriatric stage due to overly generous contracts: Crozier, Keath, Bruce.

So, it looks to me that next year is going to be the year of the purgative. 8 to 10 delisted/retired. The fact that it will be so many after this year's anticipated 6-8 player cull or loss, says that our list management has been poor.

Much of our recruitment is kind of like Hayes had a McComb-over.
    I don't agree McNeil and Scott are list cloggers. Scott is very impressive and McNeil is a young player who has really showed something and is still developing.

VDM showed some genuine ability until he came down with two lots of hamstrings.

Bruce kicked 48 goals last year and then came down with an ACL and Keath has been a great pickup, but again his body let him down this year.

I still don't get the Hannan trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree McNeil and Scott are list cloggers. Scott is very impressive and McNeil is a young player who has really showed something and is still developing.

Bruce kicked 48 goals last year and then came down with an ACL and Keath has been a great pickup, but again his body let him down this year.

Sounds like we agree on Hannan at least.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I really don't get it with McNeil. He's not quick, he's unskilled, we should be able to find better.

VDM has never shown anything as a forward either.
    W00F!

22. Likes DOG GOD, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Martin - Delisted
    Crozier - TWWCG/Delisted
    Cordy - TWWCG
    Bruce - TWWCG
    McComb - just because

This just feels like we are talking about tearing apart the fabric of the club.

Sure - JJ gets 3x years and I'm happy for him. Martin retires.

Hunter needs to be rehabilitated whatever that looks like. Sounds like he needs support not to be kicked to the curb.

I am in the minority I guess but I hope Cordy re-signs for 2-years.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.