Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  228
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charles Sutton Medal

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Isn't the coach ultimately responsible for the performance of the players.
    He clearly accepted the poor form because those players played every game they were available.
    Surely how he used them contributed to how they played
    No doubt he's responsible to get the best out of the playing list, and he has missed the mark on that in recent times but the commentary that the players mentioned didn't perform to expectations solely due to the fact that they were played out of their (perceived) best positions is just lazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    - Bailey Smith seemed to spend most of the night en route to the bathroom. Maybe too much Barry before the main event?
    Wonder what he was up to lol.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Wonder what he was up to lol.
    Was he sniffling a lot? And if so, was Squirrel wearing a woolen jumper?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    This, but Monster energy drink and strawberry vape.

He looks like the tiger king.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    No doubt he's responsible to get the best out of the playing list, and he has missed the mark on that in recent times but the commentary that the players mentioned didn't perform to expectations solely due to the fact that they were played out of their (perceived) best positions is just lazy.
    The gutter scribes smell blood in the water, so they will hunt in packs and blame Bevo for every single negative at the club until a) he is sacked or b) we are smashing it and he gets a contract extension.

Some of them don't need additional ammo to trash Bevo, and the others are simply barracking for the story - and right now Bevo is the most under pressure coach in the comp.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes angelopetraglia, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insights SquirrelGrip. Fantastic.

8. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The new generation of journos don't compare to the old school.

Who can write a great storytelling piece on the game these days? Greg Baum, Rohan Connelly, Martin Flangan ... any younger people have the same type of stoytelling skill? Robbo, another from the old school can do a great, insightful interview piece. Maybe I'm not across them, but the newere generation appear to be chasing the story but don't have the intelligence or skill to actually take the reader on any kind of journey.
    The newer story-tellers don't get on the syndicated media platforms that have the quick grabs Monday that get juiced across TV, radio and in newspapers all week until selection time.

They exist on independent platforms and put some good stuff together sometimes (i.e. Mongrel Punt).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Is he wrong though?

I don't blame Beveridge for the performances of two individuals but based on talent and past performance, those two should not be finishing mid-teams in the B&F. I noted yesterday Jack Macrae has had a 27x goal assist season (Bont had 24 this year for comparison)...this year he had 13.
    Jacko isn't a run away from goal and then run back to goal player. Which is actually a really difficult thing to be good at (you'd know better than anyone).

I can only assume that we thought we'd be more effective with Treloar playing inside and hoping he'd get outside as well, but to me he's proved that he can play the role Jacko played this year quite well, while Jacko is excellent at finding the ball and using it to free up others - but also get into chains and use the footy into fifty after starting up the ground.

Smith has all but conceded he didn't get his own way this year and his performance suffered because of it. Bevo contends his role didn't change drastically from when he has played his best football. Not sure if that's true, but a lot of Smith's performances were possibly due to his own attitude.

Some minor tweaks in attitude from both these players, and a bit more diversity in their roles will help the team. It's on them and the coaches equally.

Ralph's simplistic views are just that. Footy's complicated and enough of us know that to call out his bullshit.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Isn't the coach ultimately responsible for the performance of the players.
    He clearly accepted the poor form because those players played every game they were available.
    Surely how he used them contributed to how they played
    Yes, how players are deployed is super important, but the coach backs the players and plays them, and at some point the players have to accept their roles and bring the right attitude and perform.

Possibly with a bit more depth selection pressure would be higher, if we can generate that then players attitudes will quickly change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Thanks BT&T.

With Bubba v Turtle, the decision on Bubba seemed very much an Ameet & Grant decision, not just Grant. My reading of the tea leaves is that Granty had to show he could make a tough decision.
    I would be very surprised if Bevo wasn?t consulted before Rohan Smith?s departure otherwise it would be very unprofessional of our Club. This was a very good Charles Sutton B and F, with a great crowd of 1,100 attending. It says a lot about the loyalty of our members. A highlight to me was the amusing speech by Tom Liberatore, who is much loved by all dyed in the wool WB people.
    You have to wonder where we would be without the profound influence of both Bont and Libba who week in and out carried our side.

14. Likes bornadog, Stevo, SquirrelGrip liked this post