Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  17
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale Lionel Ryan.

Western Bulldogs
    @westernbulldogs
    The Western Bulldogs are mourning the passing of former player, Lionel Ryan.

Lionel played 32 games for the Bulldogs between 1954-1957 and was an emergency for the 1954 Grand Final team.

We send our condolences to his family and friends

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vale Lionel Ryan.

From memory he was the player dropped from the winning second semi final team to allow Charlie Sutton to come into the grand final team.

Commiserations to the family
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Thanks Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad was mates with Lionel, having met him when they were both boarding at the Kilkenny Inn in King Street during the early fifties. My dad described him as a beautiful kick of a torpedo punt, and reckons he went along to one game to watch him play where Lionel kicked a lazy half dozen snags.

Alas, my dad was already an avid Geelong fan by that stage, and Lionel couldn't convert him to the Doggies. Happily, that turned out to be a generational glitch, as I rejected the Cats to embrace the Tricolours when I was in grade one in the mid seventies. Lionel was long off the scene by then - I think he moved up to the bush for big money after leaving Footscray, and probably remained up there.

Vale Lionel. You were often talked about in my household
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    My dad was mates with Lionel, having met him when they were both boarding at the Kilkenny Inn in King Street during the early fifties. My dad described him as a beautiful kick of a torpedo punt, and reckons he went along to one game to watch him play where Lionel kicked a lazy half dozen snags.

Alas, my dad was already an avid Geelong fan by that stage, and Lionel couldn't convert him to the Doggies. Happily, that turned out to be a generational glitch, as I rejected the Cats to embrace the Tricolours when I was in grade one in the mid seventies. Lionel was long off the scene by then - I think he moved up to the bush for big money after leaving Footscray, and probably remained up there.

Thanks Biscuit. Good to hear from you.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes W W Biscuit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lionel Ryan was highly regarded by the WB Past Players who until recent times had been a tireless worker for the Club. He had an infectious personality and even though his playing career had finished 60 plus years ago maintained his passion for our great Club.
    Lionel will be sadly missed by his many friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post

Great to hear from you W W Biscuit.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

9. Likes W W Biscuit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Lionel Ryan was highly regarded by the WB Past Players who until recent times had been a tireless worker for the Club. He had an infectious personality and even though his playing career had finished 60 plus years ago maintained his passion for our great Club.
    Lionel will be sadly missed by his many friends.
    Thanks for the insight NBP.

Post Thanks / Like

My condolences to Lionel’s family and friends.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"