Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW Game Day - Round 4 Bulldogs v Hawks

Taking the bulldog by the horns and creating a game day thread for our undefeated women's side.

Hawthorn Hawks vs Western Bulldogs - Box Hill City Oval - Saturday 17 September 3.10pm

Bulldogs sit in third with a 3-0 record to start the season, with wins over GWS, Port and Freo. Role changes for Newton and Moody up forward, improved form of many including Edmonds and Cranston, plus continued outstanding form of Blackburn, Lamb, Brown have all contributed to this strong start. You also can't deny that we have a softer draw, and there is no excuse for missing finals from here in my eyes.

Our contested marking has been a real feature so far this year. Newton, Moody, Grant, Brown, Edmonds have all taken some really important and skilful clunks. The matches have not always been pretty, but we are playing to a plan and executing well.

We are fierce.

For Hawthorn, it has been a tough initiation to AFLW. Although Bec Goddard is seemingly a talented coach, they did not get as many AFLW standard recruits in and this has shown in their first few games. A tight loss to fellow expansion side Essendon was followed by a 50 point loss to the Saints.

Prediction: Dogs have too much quality through the midfield for the Hawks, and should win. It would be wonderful for the team to put together four strong quarters and have a convincing victory, rather than the grinding wins that we have started the year with.

2. Thanks azabob, josie, Bulldog4life, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Happy Days, GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW Game Day - Round 4 Bulldogs v Hawks

Edmonds has been a surprise packet. Allowed Moody to play majority forward with Newton.

Hopefully she can continue her form.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lynch’s marking in defence has been good too. And Wilcox is an exciting, speedy and skilful too-great draft pick.

I’ll be there on Saturday with my Kirsty Lamb poster (made it yesterday arvo). 50 games for Kirsty next week. Never gives up, tough, tenacious and skilful. Lamb, along with our wonderful captain Elle, they are loyal, fierce leaders. Making the disappointing end to our men’s team season a bit more palatable. Love the improvement in skill level year but year. Burke seems to have them playing a good team game. Go girls.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know it was 50 for Lamb. It's been great to see her earn more recognition in the last couple of seasons. She has really stepped up to support Ellie, both on and off field.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously I think that we should handle them easily but I also thought that we'd win by much more against Freo.

Big milestone game with Kirsty hitting 50 as well, can't imagine we'd let a leader like her down.

People talk about how the development of Edmonds has allowed Moody and Newton to be a really good forward duo but I also want to say that the growth of Grant as a partner for Lynch has allowed Brown to play a little looser as well.

8. Likes josie, HOSE B ROMERO, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They've been terrific so far in the clinches, with the contested marking a highlight. Frankly, that skill set has got us over the line in each game so far. Just clunk after clunk when the game is in the balance.

Hopefully we can get a bit of early scoreboard pressure and really punish a side soon.

Thank you Jazza for making an AFLW game day thread on the main board, where it belongs too. This team his being led by one of the club greats in Ellie Blackburn and the way they are playing is emblematic of everything love in Footscray teams. Absolutely deserve and have earned our full attention.

10. Likes Bulldog4life, josie, Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Thank you Jazza for making an AFLW game day thread on the main board, where it belongs too. This team his being led by one of the club greats in Ellie Blackburn and the way they are playing is emblematic of everything love in Footscray teams. Absolutely deserve and have earned our full attention.
    I agree - I hope that having these threads will drive greater engagement on the forum with our women's side. Please don't wait for me to make one in the future - I can't guarantee I will remember each week.

Post Thanks / Like

Kirsty McLeod would add pace and is a natural goal kicker. She had concussion issues and didn't play in practice matches in January. Hopefully she returns soonish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I agree - I hope that having these threads will drive greater engagement on the forum with our women's side. Please don't wait for me to make one in the future - I can't guarantee I will remember each week.
    Sorry Jazz you're the man. Keep it up.

14. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll defintely be heading out to Box Hill for this one. Thanks for putting together this thread. We're playing an uncontested brand of footy generally and our skill by foot and contested marking in general has been top notch. We've been really polished. Ellie and Kirsty have had great starts to the season Kirsty played the best game I've seen her play last week.

Loving Gaby's work up forward she's been huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any tips for car parking near the ground?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for car parking near the ground?
    There’s a footy ground across the road from the main oval with a decent sized car park.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we get a team that we can crush for percentage, we have the second weakest of the top 8 and everyone else having a team they beat up on could end up biting us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Hopefully we get a team that we can crush for percentage, we have the second weakest of the top 8 and everyone else having a team they beat up on could end up biting us.
    If it's anyone, I think Hawthorn should be the one.

Post Thanks / Like

3 goals to 1 at half time, Dogs lead. It is a shame that the weather will likely stop this being the percentage booster we wanted/needed.