Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  43

View Poll Results: Do you want Liam Jones back?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, his time away from football and age concerns me

7 17.07%
  • He won't cost us anything so is worth a try

20 48.78%
  • He will slow the progress down of our younger players

0 0%
  • The 3 year deal concerns me

9 21.95%
  • Lets only bring him in if we can't find a better replacement

5 12.20%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Liam Jones

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones

I’m all for it. At worst, it’s a spot we don’t draft at the back end, at best he’s a capable defender who fills our #2 KPD spot with aplomb and gets us back in the top 4 mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Ha ha, now that's funny.

But I can't work out which way you want to go. Your original comment implied you didn't want him but this one does.
    Nah, we need to recruit younger players. We are starting to fall into the top-up trap. I know we got into the grand final last season but I feel we need to build a bit to get another tilt.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Will easily be our best key defender next season.

4. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Nah, we need to recruit younger players. We are starting to fall into the top-up trap. I know we got into the grand final last season but I feel we need to build a bit to get another tilt.
    We do need some tall young developing backman, but in the meantime, as they develop Jones can add something to our defence.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes agree in part, I don't think we are immune to damage in this sense like other clubs and hopefully Grant and co are smart enough to put the right protections in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m fine with adding Jones - it’s a real credit to him how he turned his career into a success with Carlton

Provided he’s motivated to be in shape I can see him being good for us - he became a good intercept mark

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have not topped up at any stage in our recent history so I'm not sure how we are falling into a top up trap? We have continued to draft young players, along with some older recruits given we are in finals contention. We haven't actually done anything yet this offseason so still too early to judge.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We have not topped up at any stage in our recent history so I'm not sure how we are falling into a top up trap? We have continued to draft young players, along with some older recruits given we are in finals contention. We haven't actually done anything yet this offseason so still too early to judge.
    Keath & Bruce & Crozier & Martin & Hannan & Schache...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Over how many years? Adding a player here and there, plus young players is smart.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Every club unless they are in full rebuild mode recruits established players. To me topping up is tipping the balance that way at the expense of going to the draft. We have continued to go to the draft (and through good fortune have brought in some top end talent recently). I clearly acknowledged we had brought in some older players as well so not sure what point you are trying to make anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Every club unless they are in full rebuild mode recruits established players. To me topping up is tipping the balance that way at the expense of going to the draft. We have continued to go to the draft (and through good fortune have brought in some top end talent recently). I clearly acknowledged we had brought in some older players as well so not sure what point you are trying to make anyway?
    I was just noting a few players we've added during the years while still holding onto first rounders.
    Had no idea you'd be so defensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Over how many years? Adding a player here and there, plus young players is smart.
    Exactly. We can add players and still hit the draft. I don't think we're anywhere near a Hawthorn style 'delay the inevitable' trade strategy, especially given the absolute free kicks we've been handed the last two years (Marra and Darcy) and possibly next year if reports on Jordan Croft are accurate.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. We can add players and still hit the draft. I don't think we're anywhere near a Hawthorn style 'delay the inevitable' trade strategy, especially given the absolute free kicks we've been handed the last two years (Marra and Darcy) and possibly next year if reports on Jordan Croft are accurate.
    We've been pretty balanced along the journey and have just about always maintained 1st round picks will bringing in experienced players from over clubs from time to time. Over the last couple of years given our NGA and father son picks we have focused a bit more on players from the state leagues with mixed results in adding some experienced types.
    Mixed results from that effort but that would be expected.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've been pretty balanced along the journey and have just about always maintained 1st round picks will bringing in experienced players from over clubs from time to time. Over the last couple of years given our NGA and father son picks we have focused a bit more on players from the state leagues with mixed results in adding some experienced types.
    Mixed results from that effort but that would be expected.
    I don't mind giving some state leaguers a chance - McNeill played SANFL and I still think he'll develop nicely. The Big O will lead Brisbane's ruck division this weekend after being plucked from the VFL.
    I do wish we'd target 'needs' a little more with late speculative picks but that's a topic for a different thread.

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just noting a few players we've added during the years while still holding onto first rounders.
    Had no idea you'd be so defensive.
    Sorry but the way you just listed players came across as you refuting my point rather than adding to it.