Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Maple Quits

Edmond also reporting it's the first of many ''changes''.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Edmond also reporting it's the first of many ''changes''.
    It's a tough industry, win the GF in 2021 and there would likely be minimal changes, struggle for the majority of the season and the media and maybe the supporters expect multiple changes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a tough industry, win the GF in 2021 and there would likely be minimal changes, struggle for the majority of the season and the media and maybe the supporters expect multiple changes.
    It is, but there's also the fact that this club has been up/down far more than it should have been since 2016.

Even last year when we made the GF, we made it hard for ourselves by destroying all the hard work we had done all season when we lost to Essendon and Hawthorn.

A lot had been calling for change before 2021, I think 2022 was the final nail and the club had no other alternative.

I would love an external forensic examination / comparison between us and Geelong. They consistently keep putting themselves in the best position to win it all.
    W00F!

5. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It is, but there's also the fact that this club has been up/down far more than it should have been since 2016.

Even last year when we made the GF, we made it hard for ourselves by destroying all the hard work we had done all season when we lost to Essendon and Hawthorn.

A lot had been calling for change before 2021, I think 2022 was the final nail and the club had no other alternative.

I would love an external forensic examination / comparison between us and Geelong. They consistently keep putting themselves in the best position to win it all.
    The old saying in football is that if you are standing still you are going backwards and while a settled panel looks good it only works if the club is staying on top of trends and the coaches are reinventing and bench marking themselves.

Sad to see him go but the opportunities it creates could be exciting for the club.

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI Sam Edmund's tweet in it's entirety:

Long-time Western Bulldogs football staffer Chris Maple was given the opportunity to resign after 12 years at the kennel in a variety of roles. But the club had made the call he had to go. Expect more changes in coming weeks to the network put around Luke Beveridge next year.

9. Thanks Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well damned if this isn’t exactly what I was asking for. Even if the individuals themselves are good people there was clearly change needed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    FYI Sam Edmund's tweet in it's entirety:
    Best news we've had since we made the GF.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Well damned if this isn’t exactly what I was asking for. Even if the individuals themselves are good people there was clearly change needed.
    It's not personal it's just good business.
    Lets see how deep this goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Maple was a big hand in our development circa mid 2010s but he's been at the club for a while. Eventually you need to bring in new ideas so you can keep improving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Eventually you need to bring in new ideas so you can keep improving.
    Not all new ideas are good ideas.

The fundamentals of footy are what wins games...anyone who is being honest would have to suggest that if we have been getting ANYTHING wrong it has been the fundamentals...the fancy stuff? We have that in spades.

I agree that turnover is essential in any business and I don't exactly know what Maple's job entailed, but I am reluctant to celebrate a long-time servant of the footy club being essentially moved on chasing 'new ideas'...good people are good people and maybe a 3-month secondment at an NBA/NFL/EPL team for Maple would have better a better use of our resources...who knows.

Anyway, he's resigned now but to me we have lost a key piece of our 'premiership era' and I am sorry to see such a person moved on.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Maple was a big hand in our development circa mid 2010s but he's been at the club for a while. Eventually you need to bring in new ideas so you can keep improving.
    Let's hope the mods on WOOF aren't thinking the same. I might be traded to BF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

That would be interesting to see the comparison to us and Geelong. They seem to be a go to club and can pay unders so they are doing something right. We don't attract the players they do and when we do get a B Grader we have to pay overs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your work Chris Maple, served the Club well but you'd suspect the timing is right. We need a shake up and perhaps a guy with his experience and range of roles over a long time has had enough of an influence and we need a new look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not all new ideas are good ideas.

The fundamentals of footy are what wins games...anyone who is being honest would have to suggest that if we have been getting ANYTHING wrong it has been the fundamentals...the fancy stuff? We have that in spades.

I agree that turnover is essential in any business and I don't exactly know what Maple's job entailed, but I am reluctant to celebrate a long-time servant of the footy club being essentially moved on chasing 'new ideas'...good people are good people and maybe a 3-month secondment at an NBA/NFL/EPL team for Maple would have better a better use of our resources...who knows.

Anyway, he's resigned now but to me we have lost a key piece of our 'premiership era' and I am sorry to see such a person moved on.
    Changes aren't good, good changes are good.

We obviously need a change but you need the right people making those changes. If the people at the top are the problem, or part of the problem, them making changes will only make things the same or probably even worse.

20. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Maple has stepped down from his roles as head of coaching and operations manager at the Western Bulldogs.

7NEWS Melbourne’s Mitch Cleary revealed the news that Maple, who is seen as senior coach Luke Beveridge’s right-hand man, has quit the club after 14 years.

Cleary described the resignation as “significant” for the Bulldogs in the aftermath of their elimination final defeat to Fremantle.

And more change is possible, with the Dogs to go through the club with a fine tooth comb this off-season.

“The Bulldogs will undergo a thorough football department review this off-season, having not been able to do one in the wake of COVID-interrupted seasons for the past two years,” Cleary told 7NEWS.com.au.

Maple has overseen the coaching team of Beveridge, assistant coaches Rohan Smith, Matt Spangher and Marc Webb, as well as development staff Jamie Maddocks, Travis Varcoe and VFL senior coach, Stewart Edge.

The entire coaching staff will be assessed in a wide-ranging review as the Dogs try to piece together what went wrong after making the 2021 grand final.

The Bulldogs only barely scraped into the 2022 finals on percentage after an indifferent 12-10 record during the home and away season.

An unlikely elimination final win looked imminent when they held a 41-point lead against the fancied Dockers.

But Fremantle reeled them in and ended the Bulldogs’ season with a stunning comeback to progress through to a semi-final against Collingwood.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/luke-...view-c-8218248

22. Thanks azabob, bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post