Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  138
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation Get Brodie Grundy

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If I recall correctly it was that Brian was saying he was too injured/sore. So Rocket said something along the lines of 'that's too bad we were going to play you forward' and Brian was suddenly fit to play. Then the rest is as you say.
    Yeah, I think you are right. cheers
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

English playing for our club depends on him being first ruck, whether that’s acceptable from a player or not is irrelevant to the discussion at this point. He will either go to another club to be first ruck as soon as he can or he stays with us and we move forward finding a different path to support him.

My view is we have 3-4 glaring holes in our team that have had more impact in 2022 than our ruck situation which makes getting Grundy an enormous risk. I would prefer we address other areas particularly if we can find some forward/ruck support that’s cheaper than Grundy. Using trade/draft capital on Grundy would limit our ability to address other issues and potentially cost us English anyway in a year or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Having English and Grundy both playing would help us tremendously eg a tall down the line who can actually mark and provide a good target, ability to float back and help out (think Scotty Wynd) and go forward if we have an injury or if we send Naughts back to support an oppo run on.

If we can afford it and if our young players like Bedendo and Cleary and Khamis can blossom and give us a bit more leg speed to me it makes a lot of sense. If one of Grundy or English is bring monstered in the ruck they can swap, if English is ok in middle and Grundy better for throw ins around the ground that’s ok as both are agile big men who are pretty good at ground level….it gives us so much flexibility.

4. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Using trade/draft capital on Grundy would limit our ability to address other issues and potentially cost us English anyway in a year or two.
    If we use the Dunkley trade picks, then it could work. Of course we need to plug other holes, but we can do that with our picks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If we use the Dunkley trade picks, then it could work. Of course we need to plug other holes, but we can do that with our picks.
    We would be replacing English in a years time as well in my opinion.

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that meant to be a deterrent?

Most of us think English is a real talent, but it's not as first ruck. I can think of far worse scenarios than English leaving, to be brutally honest.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way of telling how long his contract is, it's just guess work, but I reckon we'd be able to keep him for two years and he would have to play well in order to land the big deal he'll want to be landing when the two years is done.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was early on this bandwagon and if Tim wanted to crack the shits as the best second ruck in the competition he'd be the one cutting his nose off to spite his face, as his next contract will reflect his performance.

One can dream I guess....
    Dare I say the first one to suggest it?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

English playing for our club depends on him being first ruck, whether that’s acceptable from a player or not is irrelevant to the discussion at this point. He will either go to another club to be first ruck as soon as he can or he stays with us and we move forward finding a different path to support him.
    Do we actually know he'd sulk if he wasn't?

Hypothetically Lobb falls though and we end up with a ruck type that means English plays 60/40 or 50/50, he may actually get through a whole season... something he has yet to achieve.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Dare I say the first one to suggest it?
    Nope, I think I was an early adopter but fleshed out how it might work in conjunction with our need to offer opportunities to young talls coming through our system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Is that meant to be a deterrent?

Most of us think English is a real talent, but it's not as first ruck. I can think of far worse scenarios than English leaving, to be brutally honest.
    That’s ok then but that’s a different conversation and one the club clearly isn’t entertaining.

To be clear if I had my choice English as a forward and a new ruck would be great, I thought we missed English forward more than we missed having a gun ruck. I just don’t think it’s realistic given the stance from English to do both. It’s probably the reason we have gone the Lobb path.

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Hypothetically Lobb falls though and we end up with a ruck type that means English plays 60/40 or 50/50, he may actually get through a whole season... something he has yet to achieve.
    If you watch the press conferences every week Bevo always finds a way to give a nod towards what’s happening behind closed doors. I have a pretty well placed source that has confirmed this as well. Not so much that he would sulk but he would take the opportunity to find a club where he can be number 1 ruck.

In fairness to Tim he has often mentioned how important the rucking is to him as well.

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Exactly, it's anecdotal and completely unconfirmed.

Yet it's taken as gospel.

Personally I can't believe it to be the case.

He seems like an incredibly reasonable human.

19. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m conflicted here. 12 months ago I would have jumped at Grundy. Now 12 months on and two pre seasons I think Tim is ready to explode and be a real handful. With the addition of Darcy snd Bruce back from the ACL. I think we would be far better in looking for An elite crumbing forward. This would free up West to move into the Baz or Dunkley role. And we really need another Dale Morris type as this would free up Daniel to move to the wing. I recon this would suit us better as we have midfielders on every line. Daniel would tealy be a weapon delivering into the forward 50.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

21. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Exactly, it's anecdotal and completely unconfirmed.

Yet it's taken as gospel.

Personally I can't believe it to be the case.

He seems like an incredibly reasonable human.
    It's been put into writing post a comment from his management that Tim was concerned about not being first ruck, and Bevo has at least twice affirmed sternly in the media that Tim is considered our first ruck.

Of course nobody's saying it directly in plain language, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

23. Likes dog town, azabob liked this post