Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The case for using a tagger next season

We have seen the effective use of taggers over the finals this season. Neale, Oliver, de Goey and others have had their influence on the game sharply reduced.

The Dogs have not been using taggers.

Why not?

Should we next season? If so, who are the best choices?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case for using a tagger next season

We currently don't have anyone capable on our list but wouldn't be against a dash at delisted free agent Daniel Howe from the Hawks.No world beater but a big body who has been used in that type of role previously. Rookie list possibility?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    We currently don't have anyone capable on our list but wouldn't be against a dash at delisted free agent Daniel Howe from the Hawks.No world beater but a big body who has been used in that type of role previously. Rookie list possibility?
    Arguably McLean

Post Thanks / Like

West?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

5. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely should look at using taggers or run with players next season and especially have a close look at how Geelong countered Neale in the PF.

I really hope we are considering it. I like the Howe suggestion. McLean might be a chance for it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember McLean doing some tagging before the string of ACL's, something I reckon he could do well if developed into this role.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

All eggs in McLean basket, limited tagging experience, coming off 2 ACLs, what's plan B?

Post Thanks / Like

All eggs in McLean basket, limited tagging experience, coming off 2 ACLs, what's plan B?
    You say that like there is ever a plan B
    Could McNeil, West or Williams be considered? What about Roarke Smith? It's a long shot but could Lachlan Sullivan be a run with player at the AFL level?

I think we would need to recruit someone specifically if those options aren't likely to be good enough.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I do think we need to address the way the oppositions best mids are killing us.

Even looking at the brownlow last night....in matches we lost, the following players got 3 votes against us...

Rd 1: Petracca
    Rd 2: Cripps
    Rd 4: Prestia
    Rd 8: Boak
    Rd 15: Neale
    Rd 16: Mills
    Rd 20: Dangerfield

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I do think we need to address the way the oppositions best mids are killing us.

Even looking at the brownlow last night....in matches we lost, the following players got 3 votes against us...

Rd 1: Petracca
    Rd 2: Cripps
    Rd 4: Prestia
    Rd 8: Boak
    Rd 15: Neale
    Rd 16: Mills
    Rd 20: Dangerfield
    I get what you are saying but in matches you lose an opposition midfielder is probably a 90% chance to get the 3 votes.

If you don't have the right player there is no point shoe-horning someone into the 22 as a tagger, I think that's a net loss. There are still stings that can be pulled though - the cats team effort against Neale a case in point.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba as a run-with player?
    It's in his genes but let's not forget - his role on Kennedy in the 2nd half of the 2016 GF was hugely important.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Libba as a run-with player?
    It's in his genes but let's not forget - his role on Kennedy in the 2nd half of the 2016 GF was hugely important.
    With Dunkley gone we need Libba extracting more than ever, not worrying about what an opposition midfielder is doing. Also outside the contest Libba would get torched by some of the quicker mids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    With Dunkley gone we need Libba extracting more than ever, not worrying about what an opposition midfielder is doing. Also outside the contest Libba would get torched by some of the quicker mids.
    How often does that happen though? Pre-leg break Wallis did some excellent tagging jobs for us and with all due respect to Wally, I think every player on our list has him covered for pace.

Mclean has been nominated by a few and he doesn't look particularly quick post-ACL either.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I get what you are saying but in matches you lose an opposition midfielder is probably a 90% chance to get the 3 votes.

If you don't have the right player there is no point shoe-horning someone into the 22 as a tagger, I think that's a net loss. There are still stings that can be pulled though - the cats team effort against Neale a case in point.
    Yep 100% I get it. I just think we go into games knowing what could beat us, and don't often do a decisive job at trying to stop it. Petracca killed us back to back.....Cripps has killed us at times, but when we've beaten them - either Macrae or Dunkley have "put time into him" (as they like to say).

Dangerfield torches us every time....

Its just so predictable.
    I don't think we just necessarily carry a tagger in there every week. But we undoubtedly have to do more.
    Dunkley leaving hurts us for options. For all the talk about our deep midfield - we actually seriously lack defensive skills in there. Macrae, Smith, Libba - they are ball hunters and clearance players. Treloar refuses defend. And Bont is our best player (but does it all).
    The Dunkley loss is very frustrating because for all of his faults with ball in hand, he actually defends.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should try and use a tagger but we certainly dont need to look to recruit one.

A tagger is really just someone that is willing to sacrifice their game for the greater good. We have a lot of players that could do it if asked.