Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case for using a tagger next season

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    We should try and use a tagger but we certainly dont need to look to recruit one.

A tagger is really just someone that is willing to sacrifice their game for the greater good. We have a lot of players that could do it if asked.
    I would add, the tagger should also be able to influence the game as well, once they get on top of their opponent
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would add, the tagger should also be able to influence the game as well, once they get on top of their opponent
    Has a recent player been able to that consistently?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    George Hewett is one that does that role on occasions for Carlton.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    With Dunkley gone we need Libba extracting more than ever, not worrying about what an opposition midfielder is doing. Also outside the contest Libba would get torched by some of the quicker mids.
    Cameron Ling had no leg speed at all, but was super effective as a run with player. You just need discipline and to use your body effectively around the contest to keep your opponent in check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    How often does that happen though? Pre-leg break Wallis did some excellent tagging jobs for us and with all due respect to Wally, I think every player on our list has him covered for pace.

Mclean has been nominated by a few and he doesn't look particularly quick post-ACL either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Cameron Ling had no leg speed at all, but was super effective as a run with player. You just need discipline and to use your body effectively around the contest to keep your opponent in check.
    It's not just leg speed but also ability to cover the ground which concerns me with Libba's aging knees. But really that's only a minor concern for mine because I reckon the best way to stop an opposition midfielder getting their hands on it is Libba getting his hands on it first.

There are times when we need to clamp down on an opposition mid and there may be some mids that Libba could do a job on in that instance, but I don't think Libba as a tagger should ever be our plan A.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't waste our best ball winners and users on tagging roles. However, if we are going to play low possession ball butchers like McComb and McNeil, for example, they should just be hard tag players who get suspended every now and then. If one of them can reduce a star like Lachie Neal's output by around 33% of their average output (which would equate to around 10 kicks/handballs if the average is 30 per game) and they themselves have 0 possession, let's say, then that is better than if they are allowed to free range or zone around like they usually do where they get around 10 possessions, all costly clangers.

8. Likes josie liked this post