Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brownlow 2022

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brownlow 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    A question for you - if the Dempsey figure including any years where there was double voting? (I think I recall there was a year or two where both umpires voted so a player could get 6 votes....I may be wrong).
    Good question but I think they were averaged out.
    Dempsey won with just 20 votes.
    Did Graham Moss win a Brownlow with 50 votes around the same time because of the double votes? Teasdale with nearly 60.

Dempsey got a swag of Brownlow votes at North as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A question for you - if the Dempsey figure including any years where there was double voting? (I think I recall there was a year or two where both umpires voted so a player could get 6 votes....I may be wrong).
    They have counted them as the doubles.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/play...y_Dempsey.html

If you count the Footscray years individually you get 176 but then look on this page

https://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/totals0.html

and it tells you in 76 and 77 they have an Adjusted column were those years votes are cut in half.

So Dempsey at the Bulldogs would have had 149.5 votes

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dempsey won the Brownlow in 1975. The dual umpire voting was brought in 1976, but abandoned in 1978
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Chris Grant loses a Brownlow medal to suspension. It was a stray arm that accidently hit Holland high. The umpire paid a free kick and had a perfect view. Umpire refuses to report him. Holland gets straight back up and takes the free kick. Holland plays the next week. No long term injury to Holland. Ian Collins (former Carlton player) intervenes, reports Grant and rubs him out.

Cripps wins a Brownlow. Chooses to bump, leaves the ground with viscous intent, collects Ah Chee high and knocks him unconscious. Ah Chee can't take the free kick. Is subbed out of the game. He then misses the next two weeks due to concussion symptoms. He is reported and given two weeks. Blues take it to the Tribunal. Tribunal agrees with the MRP and gives him two weeks. They then appeal the Tribunal decision and win. The overrule goes against everything that the AFL has said about choosing to bump and then being responsible for your actions.

I still can't believe Grant was robbed. I still can't believe Cripps got off.
    I thought the same. A sick feeling.
    Nature has taken care of arrogant Collins at 79 yo but is ready to reclaim him.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 24-09-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/police...brownlow-medal

Monday 14 November 2022 9:43am
    Detectives from the Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit have arrested 4 people in relation to an investigation into suspicious betting activity linked to the Australian Football League (AFL) Brownlow Medal.

The investigation relates to the release of the Brownlow Medal voting tallies from matches in the AFL 2022 season.

It’s alleged that a person with knowledge of the voting tally of these matches distributed the information to a group of people known to them.

Police are investigating how many matches may have had votes released, and exactly how much money was awarded from the bets.

At this stage, police have no information to suggest that the outcome of the votes were impacted as the allegations relate solely to the distribution of information.

The investigation is being conducted in conjunction with the AFL and Sport Integrity Australia.

Detectives executed warrants at multiple residential properties today in Glenroy, Kilsyth, Oak Park, Drouin, Craigieburn and Doreen, seizing several mobile phones and electronic items and arresting four people, including:

This includes:

• Two 32-year-old men from Glenroy

• 29-year-old man from Oak Park

• 27-year-old man from Drouin

All four men are currently in custody assisting police with their enquiries and the investigation is ongoing.

The criminal offences police are investigating are engaging in conduct that corrupts or would corrupt a betting outcome of event or event contingency, and using corrupt conduct information for betting purposes. These offences carry up to 10 years imprisonment.

Anyone with information about crime or suspicious activity is urged to make a report with Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or by submitting a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Quotes attributable to Intelligence & Covert Support Command, Commander Deb Robertson:

“We have a dedicated team of detectives at the Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit who are committed to investigating any and all allegations of corruption in sport.

“Victorians are well known for their love of AFL and in particular, the prestigious Brownlow Medal award, but equally they want to know that there is integrity, fairness and honesty behind this award.

“We have been working with the AFL and Sport Integrity Australia in relation to these matters, and we will continue to work together to target, disrupt and apprehend people who commit these offences.

“The public assistance is a really key part – we know there are people out there involved in sport who see or hear things they know are not right and we need them to speak up. This can also be done confidentially via Crime Stoppers.”

Alanna Jarry

Victoria Police Media Unit

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is Ray Chamberlain and where does he live?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Should there be a recount of the Brownlow where the umpires who is involved, votes are taken away?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    How old is Ray Chamberlain and where does he live?
    Ha. Razor is 46.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently one of the four arrested is an umpire
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should there be a recount of the Brownlow where the umpires who is involved, votes are taken away?
    Can I ask why? The suggestion is that the voting information were leaked not that the votes were rigged.
    I don't think there needs to be a recount or votes cancelled unless there is a suggestion that votes were compromised.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can I ask why? The suggestion is that the voting information were leaked not that the votes were rigged.
    I don't think there needs to be a recount or votes cancelled unless there is a suggestion that votes were compromised.
    I'm with BAD it throws the entire system into debate.
    If the votes aren't secured, which clearly they are not, how can you be expected to trust they have acted with integrity in all facets of the process?

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Ha. Razor is 46.
    Damn.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If the votes aren't secured, which clearly they are not, how can you be expected to trust they have acted with integrity in all facets of the process?
    Depends what you count as secured.

My impression is that no undue access to the votes as a whole would've happened, more that with the umpire involved they have probably just been privy to enough games (probably 2 a weekend) to be able to give their mates a good heads up that "so and so is polling well", except more specific.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Depends what you count as secured.

My impression is that no undue access to the votes as a whole would've happened, more that with the umpire involved they have probably just been privy to enough games (probably 2 a weekend) to be able to give their mates a good heads up that "so and so is polling well", except more specific.
    Who would know, that's my issue.

Maybe you give Cripps 3 instead of 1 this week because you've got 500 on him.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Trump logic at it's finest. Based on what has been reported we just have to wait to see if the voting has been impacted.