Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kick to Kick Podcast - 1980

2-questions about the 1980 season from the latest kick-2-kick podcast.

1/. How 'real' were the stories about Royce Hart lacing them up during our 11-game winless streak that started the season.

2/. Was the story from the game vs Collingwood at Victoria Park and the communications to the coaches box TRUE? Apparently one of the journo's suggested to Hart that one of the Footscray PLAYERS was probably responsible (can you imagine Bevo being asked that question??).

Bonus Question: Apparently in the 'National club championship', we abandoned the horizontal stripes and wore a vertical stripe Tricolour, Saints style (but obviously our colours). Has anyone ever SEEN that jumper??

By far my favorite pod. Well, I guess "No guitar is Safe" is a close second...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kick to Kick Podcast - 1980

I remember Royce out marking all the players regularly during kick to kick. Yes kick to kick was a part of training.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard him speak about it and it was a real chance. He did a hamstring through which stopped it quick enough
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

1/. How 'real' were the stories about Royce Hart lacing them up during our 11-game winless streak that started the season.

2/. Was the story from the game vs Collingwood at Victoria Park and the communications to the coaches box TRUE? Apparently one of the journo's suggested to Hart that one of the Footscray PLAYERS was probably responsible (can you imagine Bevo being asked that question??).

Bonus Question: Apparently in the 'National club championship', we abandoned the horizontal stripes and wore a vertical stripe Tricolour, Saints style (but obviously our colours). Has anyone ever SEEN that jumper??

The only vertical jumper mentioned was in 1935 MJP. This link explains about teams jumpers.

https://joshbarnesblog.wordpress.com/tag/afl/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The only vertical jumper mentioned was in 1935 MJP. This link explains about teams jumpers.

https://joshbarnesblog.wordpress.com/tag/afl/
    This site is good B4L

http://www.footyjumpers.com/footscray.htm

We wore it in 2003 as a heritage jumper.

6. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Found it.
    Pre season 1980

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*Bulldogs unveil a new look - in 1979 Footscray had become the first team in VFL-AFL history to wear a special night series/pre-season jumper. In 1980 they followed-up with another new design that borrowed heavily from the Camberwell Football Club worn in the VFA at that time.

https://www.hardballget.net/afl-npm-...pionships.html

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a story of when Royce left which I hadn't heard.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a5d82e341dc916

The day the Dogs dumped Legend Royce Hart as coach
    IT'S unlikely any VFL-AFL coach has been treated with as much disrespect as the great Royce Hart was when he parted company with Footscray in mid-1982

IT'S unlikely any VFL-AFL coach has been treated with as much disrespect as the great Royce Hart was when he parted company with Footscray in mid-1982.

He wasn't sacked; he was demoted. All for the sake of saving a few bucks.

The Bulldogs tried to get one of the most revered names in football to go from senior coach one week to coaching the under-19s the next, so they didn't have to pay him out his full entitlements.

Hart wouldn't stand for it and told them to stick it. He walked away instead.

"The clause in my contract said that if I got sacked, they had to pay me a heap of money," Hart recalled.

Asked if he ever thought about staying on under those circumstances, he answered instantly: "What do you reckon? Of course not."

He got paid a severance payment, but not his full entitlements.

Hart coached the battling Bulldogs in 53 games from 1980 until the end of Round 10 in 1982, for only eight wins.

He was replaced in the same week that his long-time mentor Tom Hafey was sacked as Collingwood coach.

"We just didn't have the players to play the type of game style that I wanted them to play," he said. "It was a real struggle."

But Hart did bring through a number of players who would go on to good careers, including Stephen Wallis, Steve Macpherson and Michael McLean.

He was also responsible for pushing Kelvin Templeton out to centre half-forward, where he won the Brownlow Medal in Hart's first season as coach, 1980.

"It really developed him," Hart said. "I didn't think the ball was getting down there enough, so it is not good having your best player have limited opportunities."

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    *Bulldogs unveil a new look - in 1979 Footscray had become the first team in VFL-AFL history to wear a special night series/pre-season jumper. In 1980 they followed-up with another new design that borrowed heavily from the Camberwell Football Club worn in the VFA at that time.

I do remember that
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I do remember that
    Me too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Here is a story of when Royce left which I hadn't heard.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a5d82e341dc916

The day the Dogs dumped Legend Royce Hart as coach
    IT'S unlikely any VFL-AFL coach has been treated with as much disrespect as the great Royce Hart was when he parted company with Footscray in mid-1982

IT'S unlikely any VFL-AFL coach has been treated with as much disrespect as the great Royce Hart was when he parted company with Footscray in mid-1982.

He wasn't sacked; he was demoted. All for the sake of saving a few bucks.

The Bulldogs tried to get one of the most revered names in football to go from senior coach one week to coaching the under-19s the next, so they didn't have to pay him out his full entitlements.

Hart wouldn't stand for it and told them to stick it. He walked away instead.

"The clause in my contract said that if I got sacked, they had to pay me a heap of money," Hart recalled.

Asked if he ever thought about staying on under those circumstances, he answered instantly: "What do you reckon? Of course not."

He got paid a severance payment, but not his full entitlements.

Hart coached the battling Bulldogs in 53 games from 1980 until the end of Round 10 in 1982, for only eight wins.

He was replaced in the same week that his long-time mentor Tom Hafey was sacked as Collingwood coach.

"We just didn't have the players to play the type of game style that I wanted them to play," he said. "It was a real struggle."

But Hart did bring through a number of players who would go on to good careers, including Stephen Wallis, Steve Macpherson and Michael McLean.

He was also responsible for pushing Kelvin Templeton out to centre half-forward, where he won the Brownlow Medal in Hart's first season as coach, 1980.

"It really developed him," Hart said. "I didn't think the ball was getting down there enough, so it is not good having your best player have limited opportunities."
    Steve Wallis and Michael McLean both played their first games in 1983. While they may have come to the club while Hart was coach he didn't bring them through.

Royce Hart is the best player I ever saw but saying that is gilding the lily a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'll ask some mates about the Victoria Park story and let you know Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

This site is good B4L

http://www.footyjumpers.com/footscray.htm

We wore it in 2003 as a heritage jumper.

We got absolutely smashed wearing this jumper
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How can this be true given night football or anything slightly associated with it didn't exist until North Melbourne invented it in the 80's?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How can this be true given night football or anything slightly associated with it didn't exist until North Melbourne invented it in the 80's?
    Different competition. There was a seperate night comp that was played on an elimination basis (like the FA cup) played on Tuesday nights at VFL park that started in the pre season and finished about June. It was in this comp that Kelvin Templeton did his knee in a game against Melbourne, it was the first game that he played after he won the Brownlow. Back then it was the only love footy transmitted on TV.
    BTW I know that you already know most of this but others may not.