Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember when the Lions were GENIUSES for 'stealing' Jarryd Lyons...

Can anyone remember when the Lions were the Monsters of the trade period...or at least the Monsters of Money Ball. They saw the OBVIOUS thing that no-one else - especially no-one in the Adelaide or Gold Coast footy departments could see...Jarryd Lyons is an A-grade talent who 'just needed a chance'.

The Gold Coast - particularly the coach - was pilloried for misusing/miscasting such an undoubtable talent and, wow, couldn't the Suns use Lyons right now...and what are they even DOING over there.

Well, I have an update.

Lyons has now sat out of the last two Lions finals but HAS played VFL...so the classic 'DNP (Coaching Decision)' that you see on NBA Box scores. Furthermore, the Lions have ALSO offered (apparently) 6years @ $750K to another big bodied, contested ball winning inside mid (Josh Dunkley) putting their salary cap under pressure AND challenging their draft resources...

I'm really curious as to what they are doing here.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remember when the Lions were GENIUSES for 'stealing' Jarryd Lyons...

Lyons was a pretty good player as recently as last season but dropped off badly this year and will probably be out of the AFL in 2024. Still not bad for a free hit.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Lyons was a pretty good player as recently as last season but dropped off badly this year and will probably be out of the AFL in 2024. Still not bad for a free hit.
    I would love to discuss this.

- If he wasn't there, maybe Robertson has played another 15 games and is ready to play to the level he promised as a junior.
    - If he wasn't there, maybe their draft 'needs' looked slightly different in 2020/21 and they had an another high end mid ready to go...

Stop gaps might solve a short term problem but they create longer term ones...

If 6-years for Dunkley and goodness knows what trade assets are needed to get him is the price for taking Lyons then how is it a free hit? There's a bigger picture here.

5. Likes Mofra, Raw Toast, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Robertson sliding in the draft force their hand a bit? Like maybe they weren’t looking to draft a midfielder but felt overwhelmed by his availability at their pick.

Their backline would seem to need more addressing than their midfield but they’re probably a contested piece short, and for whatever reason they aren’t eager to let Robertson have first crack at that. You’ve alluded to him being unhappy before, maybe they don’t think he’ll hang around? They’ve gotta still have some scars over player retention.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on us going after Robertson mjp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Did Robertson sliding in the draft force their hand a bit? Like maybe they weren’t looking to draft a midfielder but felt overwhelmed by his availability at their pick.
    He was a very early second - I'd imagine club still go for the best available in that draft range.

As for the OP, I believe that refers to the 'opportunity cost' that comes with every list spot that clubs have to consider. Or did Lyons' early season form help Brisbane to actually get into their finals position in the first place?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As for the OP, I believe that refers to the 'opportunity cost' that comes with every list spot that clubs have to consider. Or did Lyons' early season form help Brisbane to actually get into their finals position in the first place?
    I guess my point is that just because you had the correct answer to "yesterday's question" doesn't mean you have the right answer for today...or tomorrow.

Am I saying Lyons has been 'bad'? No. Just that there were reasons Adelaide and GC moved him on that seemed swept under the carpet when Brisbane picked him up. None of that made the decisions made by Adelaide or GC 'wrong'...and no matter how well Lyons played it didn't mean Brisbane were right.

What I am saying is sometimes because you have a player, you MUST select them. They perform well at training, have a certain level of experience etc etc...they have to be selected to maintain selection 'integrity' (for want of a better word) with the playing group. I suspect Lyons was ONE of those players and GC in particular KNEW that if he stayed, he would have to play...and they didn't think he could help win them a flag. A game or two? Yep. A flag? No. Is that fair or unfair? No idea - but they have sure been pilloried for doing it (delisting him).

He was the SAME PERSON at Brisbane that he was at GC. So Brisbane would have been coping with the same stuff...and - like GC, they would have HAD to pick him.