Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Decisions, decisions

So help me out. What’s the attitude this list management season?

Hypothetically Brisbane offer up this and next years first.
    Hypothetically Freo don’t trade Lobb.
    Jones comes at No draft pick cost
    Hypothetically the salary cap has maybe $1.2-$1.5M newly available

So…

2022: 2 x Firsts, plus other picks of value
    2023: 2 x Firsts, plus second, third and fourth

Then…

Refresh the list meaningfully at the top end of the draft towards, seeing a window opening in say 2-3 seasons, and just tinker with existing salary structures

Or

Trade aggressively, use the picks and cash to get ready made talent (addressing key needs) with the view such trades make the best 22 next year capable of contending

Or

Tread water, and try to do both at lesser levels.

Just reading some threads, depending on if you think the window is open, will flow to the attitude. It seems there’s decent debate for going in either direction from what I’ve read from posters here. Interested to hear both sides.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decisions, decisions

We made the GF last year and I honestly think we are close.

We won games this year and made the finals despite largely being really poor, having no defensive structure and having mini collapses in nearly every game.

Tweaks are needed but we have the list to have a crack in 23 and 24 so lets be bold.

4. Likes Happy Days, 1eyedog, SquirrelGrip, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep our two 2022 first rounders and take them to draft.

If we miss out on Lobb and Soldo isn't going anywhere, we'd have to ask about Flynn from GWS.
    2nd ruck with some forward craft. GWS are looking at Meek for $600k and with Briggs & Preuss there one of them is surely gettable.

If we really want an intercept marking 3rd defender, Tomlinson from Melbourne? Has played wing in the past too so Bevo would love him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that we’re close but this is looking like another off season where we aren’t going to be honest with ourselves. Last year it was plain to see that we needed help defensively and in the ruck, and we sat on our hands. We have the same issues this year and instead of looking at pieces that can help we’re looking at a forward who can ruck.

We’re addressing the problems we’d like to think we have instead of the ones we actually do.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes DOG GOD, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2022 - With Dunkley gone and Lobb unlikely I would invest in the draft because it's a strong one. I'd also restructure contracts so that we free up space for the following year and beyond. Low end deal like Jones and maybe Melican would be the focus
    I'd also look at getting our coaching structures right.

2023 - With cap space available go hard at a bringing in two quality players. We could also benefit from a couple of father sons arriving.

Plenty of options but the club does have a history of losing a big name player and going all in on bringing in a bigger one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Past few seasons indicates we are not that far off winning another flag. 2023 is also the last year of Bevo's current contract... Given that perhaps we go for broke next year by trading picks for ready made players this year, then if it is a bust, new coach and rebuild?

Question is what ready made, needs based players can we get if we trade pick 15, Dunk compo, 29 & 37?

First priority would be a ruck like Grundy or Lobb - but not both. (If Freo get Jackson, I think they will be open to a trade). Then I would look at serious upgrading of the positions that have been covered all season by players like Van Der Meer (10 games in 2022), Hannan (7 games), Roarke (10), McNeil (16) and McComb (15).
    Last edited by F'scary; 20-09-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to address our gaps with the Dunkley picks we get back and use our normal picks for drafting.

Pretty sure MJP was talking about the number of almost and past 30 year olds on the list which is a worry. If we are not careful, this will come back to bite us in the future.

If we are to trade, I would like to see more mid 20s players come in, not 30 year olds.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes F'scary, DOG GOD, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So help me out. What’s the attitude this list management season?

Hypothetically Brisbane offer up this and next years first.
    Hypothetically Freo don’t trade Lobb.
    Jones comes at No draft pick cost
    Hypothetically the salary cap has maybe $1.2-$1.5M newly available

So…

2022: 2 x Firsts, plus other picks of value
    2023: 2 x Firsts, plus second, third and fourth

Then…

Refresh the list meaningfully at the top end of the draft towards, seeing a window opening in say 2-3 seasons, and just tinker with existing salary structures

Or

Trade aggressively, use the picks and cash to get ready made talent (addressing key needs) with the view such trades make the best 22 next year capable of contending

Or

Tread water, and try to do both at lesser levels.

Just reading some threads, depending on if you think the window is open, will flow to the attitude. It seems there’s decent debate for going in either direction from what I’ve read from posters here. Interested to hear both sides.
    A question. If we do accept a future first from Brisbane for Dunkley and that happens early are we able to trade this during this trade period if something tasty pops up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we need to address our gaps with the Dunkley picks we get back and use our normal picks for drafting.

Pretty sure MJP was talking about the number of almost and past 30 year olds on the list which is a worry. If we are not careful, this will come back to bite us in the future.

If we are to trade, I would like to see more mid 20s players come in, not 30 year olds.
    I was thinking the same thing with regards to hopefully having a mix of drafing and trading.

As for the last part of your post I agree it's always preferable to try and bring in a player with some prime years left. The question though is who we can get. Those players are out there. Pickups like Biggs. Who are they now though?

Post Thanks / Like

If we are to get players from other teams they HAVE to be best 22. We have enough depth if required.
    A 2nd ruck is a must and I’m almost at the point that I don’t give 2 hoots who it is, just get one.
    2 quality defenders are a must as well.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    A question. If we do accept a future first from Brisbane for Dunkley and that happens early are we able to trade this during this trade period if something tasty pops up?
    Let’s say we get their 22 & 23 first, with a pick of ours (say 29 going back for a player, and draft point upgrades for them, to give them a chunk of points back), we are then lawful custodians of four tradable first rounders at that point (across the 22&23 drafts). Plus a big chunk of salary, even more so if Lobb stays.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Let’s say we get their 22 & 23 first, with a pick of ours (say 29 going back for a player, and draft point upgrades for them, to give them a chunk of points back), we are then lawful custodians of four tradable first rounders at that point (across the 22&23 drafts). Plus a big chunk of salary, even more so if Lobb stays.
    That would be a strong position and something I can definitely live with.

I wonder whether we have a duck we haven't heard about lined up this trade period.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think our list is anywhere near as strong as the majority of our supporters think. If we can get 4 first round picks in the next 2 years and free up space for a free agent assault that would be my preference. I also think this is the least likely way we will go, supporters are impatient which means the club will go for experienced players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I don’t think our list is anywhere near as strong as the majority of our supporters think. If we can get 4 first round picks in the next 2 years and free up space for a free agent assault that would be my preference. I also think this is the least likely way we will go, supporters are impatient which means the club will go for experienced players.
    I'm not so sure that our list isn't or wasn't strong DT. For the vast majority of 2021 we were really a very competitive team and close to being a dominate one. The GF finals sort of confirms it. What we didn't appear to do was address the gaps in the playing list and further develop the game plan and I think we paid a heavy price for that.

I do agree that we now need to invest a bit more heavily in the draft but I think a one year refresh is about all we would need.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure that our list isn't or wasn't strong DT. For the vast majority of 2021 we were really a very competitive team and close to being a dominate one. The GF finals sort of confirms it. What we didn't appear to do was address the gaps in the playing list and further develop the game plan and I think we paid a heavy price for that.

I do agree that we now need to invest a bit more heavily in the draft but I think a one year refresh is about all we would need.
    The list has some strengths and the coaches were able to maximise those strengths in 2021 but it’s very hard work with some of our deficiencies and things move quickly in the AFL. In 2021 Bont and Macrae had top 5-10 in comp seasons, there were times during the year they were not in our top 5. That can swing back but it shows how fine a line we are treading.

We are all quick to point out 5-6 glaring deficiencies (happy to list them) in the list and lack of quality football department personnel supporting Bevo then scratch our heads/blame Bevo when we don’t win the premiership. Don’t get me wrong, all lists have areas that need work but ours has issues in every part of the ground. Some can be manipulated a bit, others will be more difficult.

We would need everything to go right and Bevo would need to have another year out of the box to have us contending in my view. Would be ecstatic to be proven incorrect but my thoughts are a little refresh will help us get there quicker.

I also think we have a misalignment with our young talls development versus needing to win games. We have to play Jamarra and Darcy next year but it’s crazy talk to expect them to stand up in finals in the short term. They will also expose us defensively for a little while yet as well.

21. Likes josie liked this post