Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decisions, decisions

I am of the belief that our list is strong enough to contend.

We made the 21 GF and I don't see where the list has weakened. Dunkley was out injured for the majority of that year so his loss is not as big as we may feel.

I believe we need to add a good key back and Jones could be that. We also need to use the loss of Dunkley to add something we lack.

A pacy outside player of quality would not go astray.

What we really need for 2023 is a game plan that is suited to the list and allows us to maximise our scoring opportunities.

Read that as not everyone in the forward line flying for every high ball while keeping space for the forwards to work in.

What we also need is a team first ethic where ALL the players are prepared to defend as needed.

My conclusion is we need a big improvement from the coaches more than we new blood on the playing list.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Treading water" as it is described in the OP sounds bad, but I like the option of doing some trading and some drafting. The salary cap stops you going too all in anyway, you have to have some minimum wage kids on the list
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

My wishes are well known.

If we have HIGH picks in the draft (top 20) we need to take them and use them on running players - preferably ones who can come into the side and add leg speed at half-back/wing/high forward. We need some high end talent coming into the club - no criticism of Jones, Bedendo, Cleary etc but they were all 3rd round and lower selections over the last couple of years as we gave up our draft capital to take advantage of the rules in place allowing us to select Jamarra and Darcy.

We need to make a decision: Either agree to PLAY Sweet every week to support English or recruit someone who we WILL select.
    We need to make a decision: Actively coach Weightman so that he stops flying vs Naughton OR recruit a crumbing forward who will stay on the deck. I actually have no opinion on whether this should be James Rowe or someone else but we need this sort of player.

Aside from that, let the review run it's course. I'm confident that the bones of a very good side are in place...sounds like there is some disunity in the playing group - work out what it is, fix it, move forward.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Mofra, hujsh, bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MJP, after losing Dunkley I'm right in the camp that we need one season of really investing in the draft to re-balance this list. Where we might differ is that we also need to balance this with both running players but also at least one key position defender but however that looks we have to take the best players.

What are your thoughts on potentially over paying for Bowes and trying to get that early pick off the Suns?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks MJP, after losing Dunkley I'm right in the camp that we need one season of really investing in the draft to re-balance this list. Where we might differ is that we also need to balance this with both running players but also at least one key position defender but however that looks we have to take the best players.

What are your thoughts on potentially over paying for Bowes and trying to get that early pick off the Suns?
    If we can get the early pick, we should 100% try to do it. BUT - if there is a free agency target we have already identified for 2024 we shouldn't compromise that to chase Bowes. (Meaning if over-paying Bowes puts us in a salary hole, dont do it).

9. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm big on taking two picks in the teens to draft, but I'd love one of those picks to be a genuine interceptor type.

Intercepts in the back half are gold in the modern 6-6-6 system and we just don't have that capability. O'Brien hasn't worked, we've lost Wood, Crozier's declined, Keath was playing KPD and his body is letting him down.... there's just nobody else.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm big on taking two picks in the teens to draft, but I'd love one of those picks to be a genuine interceptor type.

Intercepts in the back half are gold in the modern 6-6-6 system and we just don't have that capability. O'Brien hasn't worked, we've lost Wood, Crozier's declined, Keath was playing KPD and his body is letting him down.... there's just nobody else.
    I get this logic and I want us to hit the draft hard. 4 picks inside 40 would give us plenty of chances but I guess it all hinges on us getting a trade through for Lobb or not.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    See - I think it's Richards.

I just don't think you can find these players in the draft...to me, junior interceptors are AFL- draft busts in waiting...

13. Likes Swoop, azabob, MrMahatma liked this post