Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is obvious is apparently NOT obvious to Dunks.

To be fair, I don't 'know' what Dunks is actually thinking or the reason behind his trade request. But it does SEEM like a big part of it is because he wants to end the mid-fwd role and become a 'full-time mid'...whatever that means.

You want to know something?

He will go to Brisbane and he will play the 'Josh Dunkley' role. Which is to be a mid who is excellent at winning contested possession, hyper competitive, willing to chase and tackle, good hand skills but average kicking skills...oh yeah, and he can go forward and kick a goal or two.

He will play EXACTLY the same role for the Lions as he has played for us.

This scenario plays out over and over again. Players who are in and out of the side at one club...so they go to another club for 'greater opportunity' and end up being in and out of the side. Hello there, Tim O'Brien...I think that was your music. For those who want to become a full-time mid after spending the majority of time playing at half-back or half-forward...well, they are going to play half-back or half-forward at their next club. And hi there Zac Williams, I think that's you're music.

I know it is in the nature of every player to move forward with confidence about what is going to happen next - but sometimes to see the future you need to look at the past and say "What has happened EVERY SINGLE OTHER TIME this scenario has played out".

Is Lachie Neale going forward? Umm. NOPE. Is Hugh McCluggage? Maybe that's the plan, but he will be no good at it so, hey, you know what? Dunks - just head down forward as part of your rotation mate...yeah, I mean, of course we'll get you back in there soon...it's just for 15 minutes...it's just for this week....

This is exactly what is going to happen.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Raw Toast, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, DOG GOD, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is obvious is apparently NOT obvious to Dunks.

I’m convinced that he’s asking to be traded to be involved in a big trade. That’s what Lebron did, that’s what his buddy Antonio Brown did, it’s what big sports stars like those guys and Josh do.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m convinced that he’s asking to be traded to be involved in a big trade. That’s what Lebron did, that’s what his buddy Antonio Brown did, it’s what big sports stars like those guys and Josh do.
    Well, Antonio Brown was traded twice under the "Behaving like a knob" trade exemption...not sure they were 'BIG' trades as the Steelers Fans and Raiders Fans (he never even PLAYED for Oakland) were desperate to be rid of him.

He can play football though.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

He obviously just wants to be closer to his sister. A very normal thing that normal people do, normally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He obviously just wants to be closer to his sister. A very normal thing that normal people do, normally.
    But how will he go maintaining a long distance bromance!??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Is this a Gippsland thing?

Axeman?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the OP with the exception being, when players get older and may have to change their role. eg, Matty Boyd - mid to HBF

I don't know what Dunks is thinking his role will be at Lions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    But how will he go maintaining a long distance bromance!??
    I think Treloar is in for a rude shock; hopefully his eyes are wide open.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is this a Gippsland thing?

Axeman?
    I don't know, I'm closer to the city than I am to Yarram. Maybe he is just moving up to Queensland to look out for his BFFs wife. Nothing weird about that either.

11. Likes hujsh, Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, I don't 'know' what Dunks is actually thinking or the reason behind his trade request. But it does SEEM like a big part of it is because he wants to end the mid-fwd role and become a 'full-time mid'...whatever that means.

You want to know something?

He will go to Brisbane and he will play the 'Josh Dunkley' role. Which is to be a mid who is excellent at winning contested possession, hyper competitive, willing to chase and tackle, good hand skills but average kicking skills...oh yeah, and he can go forward and kick a goal or two.

He will play EXACTLY the same role for the Lions as he has played for us.

This scenario plays out over and over again. Players who are in and out of the side at one club...so they go to another club for 'greater opportunity' and end up being in and out of the side. Hello there, Tim O'Brien...I think that was your music. For those who want to become a full-time mid after spending the majority of time playing at half-back or half-forward...well, they are going to play half-back or half-forward at their next club. And hi there Zac Williams, I think that's you're music.

I know it is in the nature of every player to move forward with confidence about what is going to happen next - but sometimes to see the future you need to look at the past and say "What has happened EVERY SINGLE OTHER TIME this scenario has played out".

Is Lachie Neale going forward? Umm. NOPE. Is Hugh McCluggage? Maybe that's the plan, but he will be no good at it so, hey, you know what? Dunks - just head down forward as part of your rotation mate...yeah, I mean, of course we'll get you back in there soon...it's just for 15 minutes...it's just for this week....

This is exactly what is going to happen.
    Agreed. Berry is a better player than Dunkley for mine as well because he is actually also a good stopper. Dunks is too useful forward not to be used there regularly and Brisban's midfield also runs too deep.

Man I hope we win another flag without him inside the next 1-3.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he hates Beveridge?
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually haven't read what his reasons are anywhere. Not quoted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I actually haven't read what his reasons are anywhere. Not quoted.
    I have. For family reasons. His fiance goes there regularly when not playing in SA. Her parents live there. His sister is there too plus his parents holiday regularly in Queensland. Would like a bet that Tipah ends up playing netball there next year too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have. For family reasons. His fiance goes there regularly when not playing in SA. Her parents live there. His sister is there too plus his parents holiday regularly in Queensland. Would like a bet that Tipah ends up playing netball there next year too.
    nah, his motivation is more money x 6 years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think Treloar is in for a rude shock; hopefully his eyes are wide open.

Colour me unkind but the nauseating bromance had a whiff of desperate convenience about it from the get-go.
    BORDERLINE FLYING